Population Dynamics.... again

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving a logistic equation to model the population of a species of fish and a differential equation to model the harvested population. The project explores questions related to managing the fishery, specifically looking at constant yield harvesting and its assumptions. The first problem in the project is based on effort involved in harvesting, while the second problem is currently being worked on. The second problem involves finding equilibrium points and determining their stability. The conversation ends with a question about how to determine the stability of the equilibrium points.
alane1994
Hey MHB, I have this rather large and convoluted project that consists of two problems. I have finished the first problem that consisted of 4 parts. I am working through the second part right now. It has a preamble that is kinda important. I will post that as well as the problems that I am working on.

Harvesting a Renewable Resource

Suppose that the population \(y\) of a certain species of fish (e.g., tuna or halibut) in a given area of the ocean is described by the logistic equation

$$\displaystyle\frac{dy}{dt}=r(1-\frac{y}{K})y$$

If the population harvested is subjected to harvesting at a rate \(H(y,t)\) members per unit time, then the harvested population is modeled by the differential equation

$$\displaystyle\frac{dy}{dt}=r(1-\frac{y}{K})y-H(y,t)$$

Although it is desireable to utilize the fish as a food source, it is intuitively clear that if too many fish are caught, then the fish population may be reduced below a useful level and possibly even driven to extinction. The following problems explore some questions involved in formulating a rational strategy for managing the fishery.

Problem 1)
This problem was based upon effort involved in harvesting. I can post this question along with my work for it if you guys are interested.

Problem 2)
This is the problem that I am currently working on.

Constant Yield Harvesting
In this problem, we assume that fish are caught at a constant rate \(h\) independent of the size of the fish population, that is, the harvesting rate \(H(y,t)=h\). Then\(y\) satisfies

\(\displaystyle\frac{dy}{dt}=r(1-\frac{y}{K})y-h~~~~~~~(ii)\)

The assumption of a constant catch rate \(h\) may be reasonable when \(y\) is large but becomes less so when \(y\) is small.

(a) If \(h<rK/4\) shows that Eq.(ii) has two equilibrium points \(y_1\) and \(y_2\) with \(y_1<y_2\); determine these points.

My work,

\(\displaystyle f(y)=\frac{dy}{dt}=r(1-\frac{y}{K})y-h\)

\(\displaystyle ry(1-\frac{y}{K})-h=0\)

\(\displaystyle -\frac{ry^2}{K}+ry-h=0\)

\(\displaystyle y^2-yK+\frac{hK}{r}=0\)

\(\displaystyle y^2-yK=-\frac{hK}{r}\)

\(\displaystyle y^2-yK+\frac{K^2}{4}=\frac{K^2}{4}-\frac{hK}{r}\)

\(\displaystyle (y-\frac{K}{2})^2=\frac{K^2}{4}-\frac{hK}{r}\)

\(\displaystyle y-\frac{K}{2}=\sqrt{\frac{K^2}{4}-\frac{hK}{r}}\)

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{K}{2}\pm\sqrt{\frac{K^2}{4}-\frac{hK}{r}}\)(b) Show that \(y_1\) is unstable and \(y_2\) is asymptotically stable.

This part is giving me some trouble. I think I would just calculate the second derivative of the original diff.eq and then you would plug in the two points found just above right?

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with the equilibrium points you have found:

\(\displaystyle y_1=\frac{K}{2}-\sqrt{\frac{K^2}{4}-\frac{hK}{r}}\)

\(\displaystyle y_2=\frac{K}{2}+\sqrt{\frac{K^2}{4}-\frac{hK}{r}}\)

Now, regarding the stability of the equilibrium, consider that the phase plot will look something like:

View attachment 1652

Disregard the actual numbers on the axes, just consider that the plot of \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}\) is a function of $y$ and has two positive roots (the equilibrium points) and is parabolic, opening downward.

Can you tell by looking at the plot how \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}\) will behave near these equilibrium points?

For example, look at $y_1$, the smaller root. Below this root, in what direction are the solutions going? How about above this root? In both cases, are they being attracted to or repelled away from this point?

Attachments

• phaseplot.jpg
    phaseplot.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 102

1. What is population dynamics?

Population dynamics is the study of how and why the number of individuals in a population changes over time. It includes factors such as birth rates, death rates, immigration, and emigration.

2. Why is understanding population dynamics important?

Understanding population dynamics is crucial for making informed decisions about resource management, conservation, and public health. It can also help predict future population trends and identify potential issues.

3. What are some factors that can affect population dynamics?

Some factors that can affect population dynamics include environmental changes, availability of resources, disease, competition, and human activities such as hunting or development.

4. How can population dynamics be studied?

Population dynamics can be studied through various methods such as field observations, mathematical modeling, and laboratory experiments. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and a combination of approaches is often used.

5. Can population dynamics be controlled or managed?

Population dynamics can be influenced through management strategies such as regulating hunting or implementing conservation measures. However, controlling a population is often complex and challenging, as many factors can affect population growth and decline.