Position-time graphs and tangent lines

In summary: Basically, the slope of a line is just the rate of change of the distance between two points on the line. If you use two points on the line to find the slope, and those points are close to each other, then you can be pretty sure that the slope you find is accurate.
supernova1203
The Following data table provides information about a crate of radishes that is sliding down the ramp of a delivery truck

time position
0 ------ 0
2------ 0.6
4-------2.4
6------- 5.4
8------- 9.6
10------ 15Next it asks you to draw a position time graph, which i did, and its identical to the one in the curriculum. Then it asks you to draw 3 tangent lines, one at 4s, one at 6s, and one at 8s

Then it asks you to calculate the slopes of the tangents and put it in a time velocity table, which i have also done.

My question is why do we need a tangent line to find the slope? Cant we just use the simple slope formula to find the slope? v = d2-d2/t2-t2
Whats the point of a tangent slope? I don't get it.

Also this may seem trivial but can i use any 2 points on the line to find the slope? In this instance i used the given points along the line, for each tangent(4 seconds, 6 seconds, 8 seconds) i used the point, and the point before it to find the slope, i got the answers, and they were very close to the solution that the book has, and the book states that if the solutions are close then its good enough because some of the errors might be due to graphing and drawing of the tangent, even though i didnt use the graphical method to determine slope, i just use the formula. Because of this I am thinking , oh since i used the slope formula, i shouldn't be off at all, but in my solution I am off by like 0.2, all the answers however are very close, i got 0.9 m/s for 4 s, 1.5 m/s for 6s and 2.1 m/s for 8s.
Are these right? Sorry if it looks like i just put all my unorganized thoughts up here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your calcs with the points should be close. When you use the points at 4 and 6 seconds, the slope you find will be equal to the slope of the curve itself at some time between 4 and 6. You don't know what that time is exactly, so you won't have a definite time to put in your velocity/time table. You could guess 5 seconds, but you don't really know.

If you draw a smooth curve through the x,t points and a tangent line accurately (and that is an art as well as a skill), you are getting the slope at a known time - where the line touches the curve.

I have a pretty experienced eye, and I think your slope at time 4 is a little too low.
graph2.jpg

Last edited:
#edit, someone said that v=d2-d1/t2-t1 is not for slope but for avg velocity, but since in this game we are dealing with position time graph, the velocity is the slope, am i right?

Your slope of the secant line through two points is an average velocity over the interval t1 to t2. The instantaneous velocity at time t is the slope of the tangent line that touches the curve at t.

hm.. i found this really awsome website, and it makes sense now

http://www.holmdel.k12.nj.us/faculty/pkeller/Summer%20Part%20I.htm

just wanted to share.

at the 2nd half of the page, it does a really good job of explaining this tangent business

What is a position-time graph and how is it used?

A position-time graph is a visual representation of an object's position over time. The horizontal axis represents time and the vertical axis represents position. The slope of the line on the graph represents the object's velocity, with steeper slopes indicating greater velocity. Position-time graphs are used to analyze an object's motion and can provide information such as speed, direction, and acceleration.

What is a tangent line on a position-time graph?

A tangent line on a position-time graph is a straight line that just touches the curve of the graph at a specific point. It represents the instantaneous velocity of the object at that point in time. The slope of the tangent line is equal to the velocity of the object at that specific moment.

How do you calculate the slope of a tangent line on a position-time graph?

The slope of a tangent line on a position-time graph can be calculated using the formula: slope = change in position / change in time. This can also be written as the derivative of the position function with respect to time. To calculate the slope, you can choose two points on the tangent line and plug in their coordinates into the formula.

What does a horizontal tangent line on a position-time graph indicate?

A horizontal tangent line on a position-time graph indicates that the object is not moving, as the slope of a horizontal line is 0. This can occur when the object is stationary or when it is moving at a constant velocity.

Can a tangent line have a negative slope on a position-time graph?

Yes, a tangent line can have a negative slope on a position-time graph. This indicates that the object is moving in the negative direction, or towards the origin, at that specific moment in time. The steeper the negative slope, the faster the object is moving in the negative direction.