Positron-electron collision can someone check my answer?

• Thread starter indie452
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary: So, what does that tell you about the left-hand side of the equation?In summary, the conversation is about calculating the energy in the center of mass frame for a collision between a positron and electron with opposite directions and energy 500GeV each. The solution involves using the invariant mass and relativistic velocity-addition formula to find the required energy for the positron in the center of mass frame. The conversation also touches on using the total momentum in the center of mass frame to simplify the equation.
indie452

Homework Statement

a positron and electron travel in opposite directions each with energy 5ooGeV and collide head-on.
what is the energy in the centre of mass (cm) of the collision?

The Attempt at a Solution

E(cm) = E(e+) + E(e-) = 500GeV + 500GeV = 1000GeV

is this right?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

okay then thanks for that...
also could you just look at this as well? i wanted to try it before i put it up

if the same energy in the cm were to be achieved by colliding a beam of positrins with a target of stationary electrons, what energy of the positron would be required?

in cm frame

v = positron vel. in lab frame
v+' = positron vel. in cm
v-' = electron vel. in cm
vcm = cm vel.

v+' = v-vcm
v-' = vcm

[STRIKE]m[/STRIKE][v+'] = [STRIKE]m[/STRIKE][v-']
so Ecm = 1/2m[v+']2 + 1/2m[v-']2 = m[v+']2

v+' = v-vcm
v-' = vcm
so v - vcm = vcm therefore vcm= v/2

so Ecm = m[v-vcm]2 = m[v/2]2
and then v2 = (4Ecm)/m

Kinetic energy of beam = 1/2mv2 = 1/2m[(4Ecm)/m] = 2Ecm = 2000GeV

is this right?
thanks

No, you're mixing up Newtonian mechanics with relativistic mechanics. You need to be a bit more careful.

where is it that I've gone wrong?
what would you suggest to try and get the right answer?

For one thing, the kinetic energy isn't equal to 1/2 mv2 in relativity. Also, you can't just add and subtract velocities like you did. You have to use the relativistic velocity-addition formula.

The quantity E2-(pc)2 is an invariant. Use that to relate the quantities in the two frames.

ok so i tried this instead

mass of e+ and e- =>
m2c4 = (E+mc2)2 - p2c2
= E2 - p2c2 + 2Emc2 + m2c4
= 2Emc2 + 2m2c4

and as mc2<<E
m2c4 = 2Emc2

now this is where I'm abit unsure:
can i say: m2 = (1000GeV)2?
cause this would give
(1000GeV)2 = 2E(0.51MeV)
so E = 1.96x1018eV

indie452 said:
ok so i tried this instead

mass of e+ and e- =>
m2c4 = (E+mc2)2 - p2c2
How did you get this?

(E+mc2)
is the sum of the energies of the 2 particles. the e- is stationary so i thought that its energy is just mc2 in the lab frame
p2c2 i didnt put a p(e+) +p(e-) because the momentum of e- is zero so its just the mom. of the e+

What about the lefthand side of the equation?

as in that i should have put (2m)2c4 on the left hand side?

No, I'm trying to ascertain why you set it to m2c4 in the first place and why later you ask if it should be (1000 GeV)2. The variable m stands for the mass of the electron, right?

The RHS of your equation is fine. I just want to know what you think that quantity, E2total-(ptotalc)2 should equal and why it should equal that. This is a key point in solving this problem.

well i set it to m2c4 cause this is the invariant mass and so i can find this in the lab frame and it will be the same in the cm frame.
when i found the relation for this i went to the cm frame to use its Ecm to find the energy i need for the beam.

now while writing this i think i should have done:
m2c4 = 2Emc2 = 2(1000GeV)(0.52MeV)c2
m2 = 1x1018eV
m=1GeV
and so E=mc2 = (1GeV)c2

is this right? or am i still failing in my understanding of it?

indie452 said:
well i set it to m2c4 cause this is the invariant mass and so i can find this in the lab frame and it will be the same in the cm frame.
It's the invariant mass of the two-particle system, not of the electron, so you shouldn't use m, the mass of the electron, on the LHS.
when i found the relation for this i went to the cm frame to use its Ecm to find the energy i need for the beam.

now while writing this i think i should have done:
m2c4 = 2Emc2 = 2(1000GeV)(0.52MeV)c2
m2 = 1x1018eV
m=1GeV
and so E=mc2 = (1GeV)c2

is this right? or am i still failing in my understanding of it?
No, you're mixing up quantities between the two frames. Look at it this way:

E2cm - p2cm = E2lab - p2lab

where the lab frame is where the target is stationery and where RHS of the equation is the same as the RHS of your equation. What should be on the left, I think, should be clear to you now.

Edit: Out of habit, I left out the factors of c, but you should be able to figure out where they should be.

ok so on the left the Ecm is 1000GeV,
is pcm2c2 = Ecm2 - m2c4

...wait i don't think that helps...
my lecturer didnt really go over how to get the momentum. the only thing he metioned ws the 4momentum but i don't think that is what i use here

What is the total momentum in the center-of-mass frame?

wait is it just zero?...thats what i got from doing some rearrangement (too much to write out)

Yes, the center-of-mass frame is the frame where the total momentum is 0.

What is a positron-electron collision?

A positron-electron collision is a type of subatomic particle collision where a positron (a positively charged electron) and an electron collide with each other and annihilate, producing high-energy photons.

What is the significance of studying positron-electron collisions?

Positron-electron collisions are important in understanding the fundamental interactions between particles and the structure of matter. They can also provide information about the properties of subatomic particles and the laws of physics.

How are positron-electron collisions studied?

Positron-electron collisions can be studied using particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. The particles are accelerated to high speeds and collide with each other, producing data that can be analyzed by scientists.

What are the potential applications of positron-electron collisions?

The study of positron-electron collisions has potential applications in areas such as medical imaging, nuclear energy, and materials science. It may also lead to the discovery of new particles and phenomena.

What are some current research topics related to positron-electron collisions?

Some current research topics related to positron-electron collisions include the search for new particles and the study of the Higgs boson, the investigation of the properties of dark matter and antimatter, and the exploration of new theories and models in particle physics.