1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible integration by parts?

1. Dec 7, 2015 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Integrate $$\int_0^1 dw \frac{w^{\epsilon+1} \ln((r+1-w)/r)}{1+r(1+w)}$$ for ##\epsilon## not necessarily an integer but positive and r is negative (<-1). The argument of the log is positive.

2. Relevant equations
    Integration by parts

3. The attempt at a solution

I can only think of integration by parts, differentiating the log to bring back the rational but I wouldn't be able to integrate the remaining piece of the integrand. I suspect the result will be a hypergeometric function but I can't seem to get there. I had a similar integral with ##\ln (w)## instead and my prof suggested I write this as $$\ln w = \frac{d}{d\beta} w^{\beta}|_{\beta=0} = \frac{d}{d\beta} e^{\beta \ln w}|_{\beta=0}$$ but I am not sure why this helps.

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you test it?
    It gets rid of the logarithm. You have to integrate with respect to β later, but usually this is an easy integral.

4. Dec 8, 2015 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi mfb,
    The integral was $$\int_0^1 dw \frac{w^{\epsilon+1}}{(1+w)(1+r(1+w))} \ln w = \int_0^1 dw \frac{w^{\epsilon+1}}{(1+w)(1+r(1+w))} \frac{d}{d \beta} w^{\beta}|_{\beta=0}$$ Since there is only one instance of a beta dependence I can write $$\frac{d}{d \beta}|_{\beta=0} \int_0^1 dw \frac{w^{\epsilon+1+\beta}}{(1+w)(1+r(1+w))}$$ This is where I didn't see how the rewriting of the log helped. The integrand nearly has a hypergeometric structure but, even if I identified it as a hypergeometric, I still have a derivative wrt beta outside. I could proceed with integration by parts more easily now, but the integral I get from doing so is again just as complicated so I would hit a dead end again. Any thoughts?

5. Dec 8, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

The first integral in the first post was different than the one in your second post. Which one is right?

6. Dec 9, 2015 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

There are two integrals I am trying to solve: $$\int_0^1 dw \frac{w^{\epsilon+1}}{1+r(1+w)} \ln\left(\frac{r+1-w}{r}\right),$$ (as in the OP) and $$\int_0^1 dw \frac{w^{\epsilon+1}}{(w+1)(1+r(w+1))} \ln w$$ It was for this latter integral that my prof suggested I use the rewriting of the log but, while I see that it leaves us with just rational factors, I don't see why it leads to a solution of the integral and if such a rewriting is of help for the integral I posted in the OP. Thanks!

7. Dec 9, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Hmm...
    Feynman parametrization? I don't know, it is just an idea that might work. The trick to substitute the log is similar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted