1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible or IMPOSSIBLE?

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    Is it possible to learn Linear Algebra and Vector Calculus (second year), Differential Equations, Advanced Algebra, Partial Differential Equations, Real and Complex Analysis, Metric Spaces, Quantum Mechanics, Special and General Relativity in a year (independently) while doing 1st year University maths.

note: i am willing to put in the time and money
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2
    wait, you mean
    The first year of college (2 semesters)
    you want to learn:
    All those maths you listed?

I don't see calc 1 or calc 2, calc 3 (is vector calculus) <--in my university anyways.

If you already got AP credits for calc 1 and calc 2, and you go into calc 3, you could possibility do it.

It all depends on your university policies.
    Some colleges WONT let you do that.

Even if you could do all those maths you listed you still have to deal with general education credits.
    I saw from your other post you want to be a professor ASAP and you only 16.

So if you can go through all those maths in 1 year, then the next year you'll have to do all your English/History/Art credits.
  4. Jan 21, 2008 #3
    I am currently 14 turning 15 and i accelerated into year 10 math and because year 12 starts half-way between Semester 2 i will accelerate again into year 12, so by the time i get into Uni i will be 16, I will be allowed even if i have not finnished High School because the Board of Studies (department of Education in NSW australia) permits it.

I intend to do so, when im in 1st year Uni, i will be attending the classes in first year, that is cal 1 and 2 and linear algebra and statistics. I intend to go to the University of Sydney.

Because i will have a lot of time on my hands, i will learn all of that at the library and at home. I am willing to put in the time, but one thing that im curious about is.

Can i accelerate in university if i complete all the syllabus points in that course or year?

Is it possible to sit in on lectures of Grad School, I herd Richard Feynman did it?

Will accelerating benefit me?
  5. Jan 21, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the rush?
  6. Jan 21, 2008 #5
    I humbly thank you morphism, you are completely right, what is the rush? I think i will go at my own pace, how ever that may be. But i intend to learn things at a faster pace, for my goal for 1st year university math is to do well and learn some higher math to understand some of the physical theories such as string theory, quantum mechanics and General Relativity
  7. Jan 21, 2008 #6
    If you think you can do it, but all means give it a try. One thing that I found dreadful in school was a slow pace in math and physics classes. I was bored as a result and that compelled me to read more advanced stuff in spare time.
  8. Jan 21, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

what are you learning now? the slow pace of learning is mostly in precollege instruction. if you want to get ahead, the time to begin is before college i would guess.

are you able to read apostol's calculus books now? volumes 1 and 2 would go a long way toward accomplishing your goals. that would cover calc of one and several variables, and some linear algebra.

but again there is plenty of time. i started out reading relativity at 15, set theory at 17, but got off the track along the way, and still wound up getting a phd at 35 and became a professor at 47.

phd in the late 20's is more usual, but we have had phd students in their 40's also. just do what you want to do now. time will still pass. so what? dont miss out on too many things that only come around once.

when i was a senior in college i skipped my hour exams to go to montgomery alabama and march with martin luther king jr and 100,000 other people demonstrating for justice.
  9. Jan 21, 2008 #8
    If you did that, you'd be smarter than anyone since Galois. Not to say that you aren't, but being too smart for 10th grade algebra doesn't convince me.
  10. Jan 21, 2008 #9
    His point was that there is more to life then math, you will be missing out on a lot of experiences if you're so rushed that you spend all your time dedicated to math just to become a professor. I'm not saying that independent study is bad, but you don't want to reach a point in your life and look back and realize that you'd missed out on a lot while growing up.
  11. Jan 21, 2008 #10
    I agree with Feldoh and morphism
    that is cool that your quite far ahead of everyone else but don't forget to enjoy being a kid as well. Getting old sucks I'm only 22 and I wish I was 16 again!
    You can be a professor the rest of your life no matter what age you get to do it.
  12. Jan 21, 2008 #11
    I think i will go at my pace and see what happens. I am currently studying B. Morrel's Applied Calculus, this was the only university textbook in the local library. Does anyone know if you can accelerate in University?

13. Jan 21, 2008 #12
    Talk to your professors, you might be able to talk them into letting you take a test for credit of a particular class if you pass if you can do independent study.
  14. Jan 21, 2008 #13
    When i go to university i will do as such.
  15. Jan 22, 2008 #14
    now that is a worth while experience.
  16. Jan 23, 2008 #15
    That is a really sweet peice of advice mathwonk! Kind of reminds me of the movie click. Don't push ahead with your phd at the expense of all the wonderful and meaningful things happening around you.
  17. Jan 23, 2008 #16
    kurt, you are going to mess yourself up, right now learn the math you need for mechanics, electromagnetism, field theory... because that is what you will learn your first year of college... who the hell learns QM before electromagnetism, it's like learning complex numbers before normal numbers... trust me if you learn relativity and QM by yourself without doing many problems along the way, you won't retain much of it anyway... if you wanna do stuff on the side... then do more advanced electromagnetism than your class is doing... but what you're trying to do makes no sense
  18. Jan 23, 2008 #17
    I have to agree with ya there SpitfireAce. It's impossible to learn the mathematics involved in string theory, GR and quantum mechanics without having a very strong background in other subjects (trust me, I have tried :rofl:).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?