Possible to adjust light with magnetic field?

In summary: No, you could accomplish this only with the introduction of gravity, and this would be observer-dependent and temporary.
Amalan
Hey I am new to this forum, I've browsed around a few threads on here and found them to be quite insightful. I have a question for the physics gurus of this forum. To my understanding, light waves consists of an electric and magnetic field perpendicular to each other. If one constant were to change, would it then change the other constant? So if a beam of light were directed toward a magnetic field, is it possible to change the wave length of the beam?

Physics news on Phys.org
Amalan said:
Hey I am new to this forum, I've browsed around a few threads on here and found them to be quite insightful. I have a question for the physics gurus of this forum. To my understanding, light waves consists of an electric and magnetic field perpendicular to each other. If one constant were to change, would it then change the other constant? So if a beam of light were directed toward a magnetic field, is it possible to change the wave length of the beam?

Yes, it was discovered long ago by Faraday. See "the Faraday effect".

starthaus said:
Yes, it was discovered long ago by Faraday. See "the Faraday effect".

so it is possible to send a red beam of light through a faraday rotation device and have it come infrared on the other side?

Amalan said:
so it is possible to send a red beam of light through a faraday rotation device and have it come infrared on the other side?

No,the effect changes the angle of polarization wrt the magnetic field, not the frequency. Have you read the article?

starthaus said:
No,the effect changes the angle of polarization wrt the magnetic field, not the frequency. Have you read the article?

yeah is there a way to change the wavelength of the magnetic field to force any beam that would pass through it to change to the wavelength of said magnetic field and not just the polarization of it?

Amalan said:
yeah is there a way to change the wavelength of the magnetic field to force any beam that would pass through it to change to the wavelength of said magnetic field and not just the polarization of it?

No, you could accomplish this only with the introduction of gravity, and this would be observer-dependent and temporary.

FAQ: Possible to adjust light with magnetic field?

1. How is it possible to adjust light with a magnetic field?

Adjusting light with a magnetic field is possible through a phenomenon known as the Faraday effect. This effect occurs when polarized light passes through a medium with a magnetic field, causing the plane of polarization to rotate. This rotation can be controlled by varying the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

2. What materials can be used to adjust light with a magnetic field?

Materials that are transparent to light and have magnetic properties can be used to adjust light with a magnetic field. Some examples include iron, cobalt, and nickel, as well as certain types of crystals such as quartz and calcite.

3. Is it possible to adjust the color of light with a magnetic field?

Yes, it is possible to adjust the color of light with a magnetic field. This can be achieved by using materials that have different refractive indices for different colors of light, and then adjusting the magnetic field to selectively rotate the polarization of certain colors.

4. What are the potential applications of adjusting light with a magnetic field?

Adjusting light with a magnetic field has many potential applications, including in telecommunications, optical computing, and biomedical imaging. It can also be used in devices such as optical isolators, which allow light to pass in one direction but not the other.

5. Are there any limitations to adjusting light with a magnetic field?

One limitation is that the Faraday effect is only applicable to certain types of light, such as polarized light. Additionally, the strength and direction of the magnetic field must be carefully controlled in order to achieve the desired effect. The materials used must also have a strong enough magnetic response to effectively adjust the light.

Back