Possible to create laminar flow in fast moving air?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of creating laminar flow in a tube with a rectangular cross section of 1 cm by 5 cm, with air moving at a speed of 100 to 150 m/sec. There is a concern that turbulence may set in, but the main question is if the laminar flow can be sustained for a distance of 20 cm. The initial Reynolds number was calculated to be around 7000, but it was later discovered that the actual number is closer to 260,000, making it unlikely for the laminar flow to be achieved. Both parties agree that it may still be possible for a small distance near the entrance of the tube.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Is it possible to create (nearly?) laminar flow in a tube with rectangular C.S. , around 1 cm X 5 cm , with air moving at around 100 to 150 m/sec?

Turbulence will likely set in sooner or later, but can the laminar flow be made to last over say 20 cm?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
Is it possible to create (nearly?) laminar flow in a tube with rectangular C.S. , around 1 cm X 5 cm , with air moving at around 100 to 150 m/sec?

Turbulence will likely set in sooner or later, but can the laminar flow be made to last over say 20 cm?
What is your assessment of this so far?

When I posted, I had got a Reynolds number around 7000. So I was wondering if it would work if we used a sheaf of soda straws or something to laminarize the flow.

But I have since found errors in my calculation -- the RN is actually like 260,000. So it's probably not doable, I'm thinking.

Swamp Thing said:
When I posted, I had got a Reynolds number around 7000. So I was wondering if it would work if we used a sheaf of soda straws or something to laminarize the flow.

But I have since found errors in my calculation -- the RN is actually like 260,000. So it's probably not doable, I'm thinking.
I agree.

It will still be laminar over some small distance near the entrance. The question is how small.

Likes Swamp Thing and Chestermiller

1. Is it possible to create laminar flow in fast moving air?

Yes, it is possible to create laminar flow in fast moving air. Laminar flow refers to a smooth, orderly flow of air or fluid, where all particles move in the same direction and at the same speed. While fast moving air typically results in turbulent flow, there are ways to manipulate the air flow to achieve laminar flow.

2. How is laminar flow created in fast moving air?

Laminar flow can be created in fast moving air by using specialized equipment such as flow straighteners, which help to smooth out the air flow and reduce turbulence. Additionally, shaping the surface of the object or using a streamlined design can also help to promote laminar flow.

3. What are the benefits of laminar flow in fast moving air?

Laminar flow in fast moving air can offer several benefits, including increased efficiency and reduced drag. This can be particularly useful in applications such as aircraft design, where reducing drag can improve fuel efficiency and speed. Laminar flow can also reduce noise and vibration, leading to a smoother and more comfortable experience for passengers.

4. Are there any limitations to creating laminar flow in fast moving air?

While laminar flow can offer many advantages, it is not always feasible to achieve in all situations. Fast moving air or fluid can be difficult to control and turbulence can be difficult to eliminate completely. Additionally, certain factors such as surface roughness and environmental conditions can also affect the ability to create laminar flow.

5. How is laminar flow in fast moving air measured and monitored?

Laminar flow can be measured and monitored using various techniques such as flow visualization, particle image velocimetry (PIV), and hot-wire anemometry. These methods allow for the visualization and measurement of air flow patterns and velocities, providing valuable data for understanding and improving laminar flow in fast moving air.