Possible webpage title: Can Two Universes Be Exactly the Same in MWI?

• Thread starter Laurelion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubt Mwi
In summary, the MWI suggests that we do not have new universes being created every time, but rather all universes exist and evolve simultaneously. However, this raises the question of how two universes can be identical except for one quantum event. The MWI is compatible with this idea, but understanding it requires knowledge of decoherence and the concept of an improper mixed state. For more details, please refer to the provided links.
Laurelion
Hi to all. :)

First of all I'm not cleary a physician, not even an amateur, only a writer and i hope that a so low level of knowledge don't offend anyone ^^' (my bad level and my broken english :look: )

So:

I have a question about the MWI. According with the most serious interpretation: we don’t have new universes that have been “create” every time, we already have “all” universe growing up in the same time, I have a doubt: how it can possible that two universe are “literally” the same universe except for one, single quantum event?

I mean: our universe is the result of billions and billions and billions and billions (ecc) of elements that reactive each other in a billions and billions and billions and billions of different way for a very, very, very, very, very long time. How is possible that two universe product the same result?Now I try to see the problem in this way.

In the Schrodinger experiment I put in the box George W. Bush (enough cat, poor animal… let him alone), with poison, electron and measurement tool. With spin positive I have a Bush live, with spin negative I have Bush not very well (I don’t want to write “dead” cause I’m scared of the agency :look: ).

Ok the experiment begin and in our universe the spine is positive, Bush is stile alive. This means that there is another universe with a Bush “not very well”?

No, means that in another universe there is an electron with a negative spin, but in a different position or state, very probably there is no bush, no box, no poison and no earth.This way to see is compatible with the MWI? If not I return to first question, how is possible that so many variation are almost perfectly the same?Sorry for my broken English.

Physics news on Phys.org
Laurelion said:
According with the most serious interpretation: we don’t have new universes that have been “create” every time, we already have “all” universe growing up in the same time,

No problem about the English.

In MW the universe simply evolves - that's it.

To understand further you need to become acquainted with decoherence:
http://www.ipod.org.uk/reality/reality_decoherence.asp

As a result you end up with what's called an improper mixed state purely by quantum evolution. Each outcome is 'in' that state and the interpretation is they are separate worlds.

Its a bit difficult to discuss the detail at the beginner level. However for completeness the following gives the detail:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0312059v4.pdf

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Possible webpage title: Can Two Universes Be Exactly the Same in MWI?

1. What is MWI and how does it differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

Many Worlds Interpretation (MWI) is a theory in quantum mechanics that suggests that every possible outcome of a quantum event actually occurs in a separate universe. This differs from other interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, which states that the collapse of the wave function results in only one observable outcome.

2. Is MWI a proven theory or just a hypothesis?

MWI is a theoretical framework rather than a proven theory. While it is a popular interpretation among physicists, it remains a highly debated and controversial topic in the scientific community.

3. How does MWI explain the measurement problem in quantum mechanics?

The measurement problem in quantum mechanics refers to the issue of how a quantum system evolves from a superposition of states to a single definite state when measured. MWI addresses this by suggesting that all possible outcomes of a measurement occur in different branches of the multiverse, each with its own version of the observer.

4. Can MWI be tested or observed?

Due to the nature of the multiverse in MWI, it is currently impossible to test or observe directly. However, some physicists have proposed experiments that could provide evidence for or against the existence of the multiverse, but these are still theoretical and have not been carried out.

5. Are there any implications or consequences of accepting MWI as the true interpretation of quantum mechanics?

One of the main implications of MWI is that it challenges our traditional understanding of reality and the concept of causality. It also raises philosophical questions about the nature of consciousness and the role of the observer in the universe. Additionally, if MWI is accepted, it could have significant implications for fields such as cosmology and the search for extraterrestrial life.