Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 819K views
Evo said:
I got Om to read it recently. FIDO!

I didn't see any food mentioned in your post!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
FlexGunship said:
I didn't see any food mentioned in your post!
See what you did?
 
I'm laughing SO hard right now...

...and eating popcorn. With, uhhh.. rosemary-browned-butter.

So.. food. :rolleyes:
 
My wife has to tend to her mother tonight, and she made her supper before she left. Linguini with a creamy feta sauce, ground medley peppercorns, and dulse. She took a small container of the marinara that I made last summer/fall to top the pasta with.

Cooking, preserving, and freezing produce from a decent garden is lots of work, but now winter is here, I'm missing it.
 
I just got a fish and chips craving...like, a really really strong one!
 
turbo-1 said:
My wife has to tend to her mother tonight, and she made her supper before she left. Linguini with a creamy feta sauce, ground medley peppercorns, and dulse. She took a small container of the marinara that I made last summer/fall to top the pasta with.

Cooking, preserving, and freezing produce from a decent garden is lots of work, but now winter is here, I'm missing it.
Seaweed in a creamy cheese sauce?

I'm boiling down tomatoes for sauce and going to bake meatballs to go in it.
 
Evo said:
Seaweed in a creamy cheese sauce?

I'm boiling down tomatoes for sauce and going to bake meatballs to go in it.
Just a dusting of dulse flakes. She likes it. Because of high BP, she's always looking for ways to add flavor to dishes without adding salt.
 
turbo-1 said:
Just a dusting of dulse flakes. She likes it. Because of high BP, she's always looking for ways to add flavor to dishes without adding salt.
Ah, I just use a water pill and eat normally. My doctor has never suggested that I cut out salt, so I guess he doesn't feel I need to. (thank good ness)
 
nismaratwork said:
I'm laughing SO hard right now...

...and eating popcorn. With, uhhh.. rosemary-browned-butter.

So.. food. :rolleyes:

Rosemary Browned butter? That what you get when you let her near your butter, man!
 
turbo, I am searching for a meatball recipe that tastes as good as banquet meatballs, you have a really great recipe? Mine just taste like meatloaf balls.
 
Evo said:
turbo, I am searching for a meatball recipe that tastes as good as banquet meatballs, you have a really great recipe? Mine just taste like meatloaf balls.
For meatballs (as opposed to balls of meatloaf) you have to plan what you're going to use them for. My wife and I don't use recipes that much, so I can't give you hard-and-fast rules, but here's the way I approach it. Hamburg and moistened bread make the base. Instead of using fresh vegetables, you should consider using dried versions. Onion powder, garlic powder, oregano flake and crushed red pepper should be included, as well as salt and black pepper. Depending on the application, you might want to consider some dried mustard and/or curry powder, too.

Typically, we brown meatballs in hot oil with a high smoke-temperature, like peanut oil, then when they are seared and sealed, add the meatballs to whatever sauce they will be served in and simmer until they are done through. I hope this gave you some ideas. Meatballs should never be bland like meatloaf, so don't be afraid to add "too much" of a seasoning. You can always tone it down next time, but often you won't want to.
 
HeLiXe said:
*seeks comfort food*
any recommendations?
What do you like?
 
HeLiXe said:
*seeks comfort food*
any recommendations?

Flan/Indian Pudding/Custard
Chips/Pretzels/Carrots
Cocoa/Tea/Coffee


I tend to think along lines of textures, and sweet/fat/salt.

Ice cream is always a winner.
 
HeLiXe said:
*seeks comfort food*
any recommendations?

Chicken and dumplings.
Macaroni and cheese.
Toast (ok so i guess I'm easy to comfort).
 
lisab said:
Chicken and dumplings.
Macaroni and cheese.
Toast (ok so i guess I'm easy to comfort).

GENIUS. Any kind works too.
 
My wife made deviled eggs today. She mixed the yolks with Cain's mayonnaise, onion powder, garlic powder, ground chipotle, smoked paprika, black pepper, and my home-made jalapeno/garlic relish. VERY tasty.
 
HeLiXe said:
*seeks comfort food*
any recommendations?

Paella

2motsif.jpg


This is how they serve it on the market in St-Girons in the Arriege in France
 
turbo-1 said:
My wife made deviled eggs today. She mixed the yolks with Cain's mayonnaise, onion powder, garlic powder, ground chipotle, smoked paprika, black pepper, and my home-made jalapeno/garlic relish. VERY tasty.

That Paella looks awesome Andre, but right now I'd take some of turbo's wife's deviled eggs. Ahhh...
 
Kevin_Axion said:
Sausage making day next week! I'll upload some pictures.

do i have to watch...? can't i just eat it when you're done?
 
Haha, I don't think it will get over the border. We're using the recipe my grandfather used and mixing is all done traditionally, it is so good :). We make a lot, I'm not sure mass wise but there is definitely over 200 sausages. There are two types also, we cure a part it in our cellar for over a month and we also make fresh sausage. I can take some pictures though if anyone wants to see.
 
Kevin_Axion said:
Haha, I don't think it will get over the border. We're using the recipe my grandfather used and mixing is all done traditionally, it is so good :). We make a lot, I'm not sure mass wise but there is definitely over 200 sausages. There are two types also, we cure a part it in our cellar for over a month and we also make fresh sausage. I can take some pictures though if anyone wants to see.
Sounds good. Yes. Pictures.
 
Andre said:
Paella

2motsif.jpg


This is how they serve it on the market in St-Girons in the Arriege in France
OMG, that paella looks incredible. You're killing me Andre.
 
Kevin_Axion said:
Haha, I don't think it will get over the border. We're using the recipe my grandfather used and mixing is all done traditionally, it is so good :). We make a lot, I'm not sure mass wise but there is definitely over 200 sausages. There are two types also, we cure a part it in our cellar for over a month and we also make fresh sausage. I can take some pictures though if anyone wants to see.

Wow, that sounds fantastic!
 
Evo said:
OMG, that paella looks incredible. You're killing me Andre.

I would demolish those shrimp/prawns... there wouldn't even be a tail-fin left. I hate mussels though... gack.

Look at that pan too... god I'd love one of those and a fire-pit burner... like the ones they have in a good Chinese restaurant!

*swoon*
 
OH!... take the leftover shrimp heads, scramble them into some eggs, and make a giant omelet or scramble in THAT pan... drizzled with the sauce. Oh yeah.
 
Oh yea, we also make salami and a few years ago we made capicola. I asked my dad and he said we'll be making approximately 250 pounds this year. It's also natural casing (pig intestines) soaked in wine and garlic which adds to the flavour. Here is a picture of me from 8 years ago: (The one on the right is my dad and the left is his friend)
 
Attachments
  • web-sausage-2003-kevingstuffing.jpg
    web-sausage-2003-kevingstuffing.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 459
Kevin_Axion said:
Oh yea, we also make salami and a few years ago we made capicola. I asked my dad and he said we'll be making approximately 250 pounds this year.

Hmmmm... I wonder how much I could smuggle...


...

...
...


...

In my body only.

TA TA TUM!

Seriously though, you are one lucky guy!