Evo said:
LOL. There is a video on ehow about how to truss a turkey and it's completely wrong. But it was hysterical to watch, again, it's just random people uploading shiite, not experts. I don't know if it was taken down or still misleading people. Instead of the traditional turning the wings back and under, he was lasoing them and tying them to the turkey.

buwahaha
The internet is full of misinformation. Usually the most prominent and easiest to find pages are the crackpot stuff.
I certainly can't argue the point, factual as it is. The reality of cooking is however, that it is scientific, but not a science. I do find it interesting however that the reasons given by Turbo's personal experience (which match my own), matches TLC's take on it, and ehow. Certainly the turkey trussing as you (no doubt accurately) describe it sounds like an abomination. Still, you can see the results of tossing dough, whereas the results of that kind of trussing will ALSO be readily apparant... in a negative sense.
Granted, these are not something I'm putting in any footnotes or line-notes, but I think the glut of information is the enemy here. This may require some measure of "real world" research to settle definitively, but my view is that this a valid way to make pizza. If you're getting a texture that otherwise might not be there, it's something, but how can we say "better"? If you like Papa John's, I can tell you about better pizza, but "de gustibus non disputandum est."
I think Turbo is making a good point... I use that method whenever I'm making a light bread with a real distinction in texture. Remember, a lot of what makes one bread different from another is gluten formation, so... I'm not going out on a limb with, "toss or be a tosser" (to go Irish with the shiite lol), but I think there's quite a few indications that while this is not the "Traditional Italian Method", it's still a method. Pizza is a worldwide phenomenon of course, and French techniques do so love to sneak into recipes to make them... better.
Turbo-1: Yeah, it's a tough process, but it is SO worth it. You are one lucky guy to live near excellent brews and a master baker; a truly great baker is rare and divine.