Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 819K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Ok, almond milk is almonds steeped in water. It was used almost exclusively of real milk in the middle ages due to refrigeration issues.lisab said:I just discovered that I *love* almond milk! Just the plain stuff, no vanilla or anything.
Big-time yummy!
I'm really a fanatic about people like the bogus Food Network Iron Chef Cat Cora steeping almonds in milk and saying it's almond milk.
I have a feeling (from your mention of vanilla) that you actually know what real almond milk is. Please tell me that your almond milk is just almonds and water.
OMG, I'm such a dork.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 1,349
- 10
Evo said:Ok, almond milk is almonds steeped in water. It was used almost exclusively of real milk in the middle ages due to refrigeration issues.
I've made my own soy milk. (no shortage of soybeans in midwest). Apparently nut milks are made using a http://www.paleofood.com/nmilks.htm" . Soaking, grinding with water in blender and straining through cheesecloth.
Besides almonds you may enjoy milk made from: cashews, pecans, almonds, walnuts, brazil-nuts, hazelnuts, coconut, pine seeds (marketed by its misnomer pine-nut), sunflower seeds and sesame seeds.
For white coconut milk, tap a ripe coconut, pour off & set aside the coconut juice,
break up the white coconut flesh and blend with the reserved juice. If consistency is
too thick, dilute with water. Strain through cheesecloth.
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,050
- 614
Evo said:Ok, almond milk is almonds steeped in water. It was used almost exclusively of real milk in the middle ages due to refrigeration issues.
I'm really a fanatic about people like the bogus Food Network Iron Chef Cat Cora steeping almonds in milk and saying it's almond milk.
I have a feeling (from your mention of vanilla) that you actually know what real almond milk is. Please tell me that your almond milk is just almonds and water.
OMG, I'm such a dork.
No, there's no milk (or soy) in it. It's this stuff - http://www.almondbreeze.com/?navid=329&pid=330". Yum, it has a light, refreshing milkshake flavor.
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Oooh, that looks yummy! And that's REAL almond milk! I wonder if they sell it here?lisab said:No, there's no milk (or soy) in it. It's this stuff - http://www.almondbreeze.com/?navid=329&pid=330". Yum, it has a light, refreshing milkshake flavor.
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
They sell it here in Maine, Evo. With our low population, surely KS would be a better market.
khemist
- 248
- 0
Almond Breeze is a pretty popular brand at a store I used to work at in Oakland. My dad liked it, though I am not a fan. yet...
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
lisab said:No, there's no milk (or soy) in it. It's this stuff - http://www.almondbreeze.com/?navid=329&pid=330". Yum, it has a light, refreshing milkshake flavor.
Okay. I have a question. My daughter once got hooked on soy milk. Now I always rinse any glass or dish as I have a dishwasher and try to help it along. But soy milk will not rinse out; it's like glue.
So how would you rate this almond milk for it's solubility?
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,050
- 614
dlgoff said:Okay. I have a question. My daughter once got hooked on soy milk. Now I always rinse any glass or dish as I have a dishwasher and try to help it along. But soy milk will not rinse out; it's like glue.
So how would you rate this almond milk for it's solubility?![]()
Wow! I just washed out a glass that had some weird film in it, and I was wondering the same thing! The film came off but it took a bit of a scrub. I'm not sure what was originally in that cup, but I'm going to keep and eye out for this film next time I do dishes.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,805
I think one is more like a perfectionist - one of many charming and endearing attributes.Evo said:Ok, almond milk is almonds steeped in water. It was used almost exclusively of real milk in the middle ages due to refrigeration issues.
I'm really a fanatic about people like the bogus Food Network Iron Chef Cat Cora steeping almonds in milk and saying it's almond milk.
I have a feeling (from your mention of vanilla) that you actually know what real almond milk is. Please tell me that your almond milk is just almonds and water.
OMG, I'm such a dork.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
In case anyone's life depends on shucking an oyster, here is the easy way to do it.
I've eaten at Legal Seafood many times.
I've eaten at Legal Seafood many times.
Last edited by a moderator:
HeLiXe
- 439
- 1
*consults PF food wizards*
I am going to be making lasagna tomorrow >_> Which means I am buying groceries today. I plan on buying the pasta, but I might make the sauce from scratch. Does anyone have any good *non secret* recipes for lasagna? I try some of the stuff you guys recommend and I think we may have similar tastes in some things which is why I am asking here instead of just taking one off the internets!
I am going to be making lasagna tomorrow >_> Which means I am buying groceries today. I plan on buying the pasta, but I might make the sauce from scratch. Does anyone have any good *non secret* recipes for lasagna? I try some of the stuff you guys recommend and I think we may have similar tastes in some things which is why I am asking here instead of just taking one off the internets!
- 12,179
- 186
I just got back from the grocery store, where I bought pineapple jalapeno salsa from the deli. It's awesome! Eating the first few bites went something like this: "Mmmm, the pineapple is cool and sweet and, uh ... yaaaaagh!"
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
I'd like to help, but I make all my sauces from scratch AND pretty free-form. I don't have a recipe. Even my treasured "recipe" for a BBQ shrimp marinade/baste is just a list of ingredients on a piece of paper with no quantities given. I made a list so I wouldn't forget a key ingredient and leave it out.HeLiXe said:*consults PF food wizards*
I am going to be making lasagna tomorrow >_> Which means I am buying groceries today. I plan on buying the pasta, but I might make the sauce from scratch. Does anyone have any good *non secret* recipes for lasagna? I try some of the stuff you guys recommend and I think we may have similar tastes in some things which is why I am asking here instead of just taking one off the internets!![]()
Edit: You could do like my father does, and buy a jar of sauce then doctor it up with oregano, basil, garlic, onion powder, cayenne, if you want quick-and dirty. He actually likes Prego, as long as he can tweak it first.
Last edited:
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Fathers Day was a food-fest that lasted for over four hours! It started with a large iced tray with bowls of cut-up watermelon, cantaloupe and carrots with a Greek-dressing dip for the carrots. That went very well with the boiled and chilled jumbo shrimp, served with cocktail sauce. Then my wife seared (browned) 2# of fresh sea-scallops in butter. That is the ONLY way to cook them, IMO. Scallops are already mild and sweet, but the Maillard reaction combined with the sweet salted butter sends the flavor over the top. The scallops were served with a garden-fresh tossed salad, and my brother's (very good!) broccoli slaw. Next, it was my turn, and I fired up the grill's side-burner and boiled and shucked two 3-1/2# lobsters. My brother helped me dismember the lobsters, but we had to resort to a large cleaver driven by a hammer to get the claws opened. After a well-deserved break, I re-heated the lobster broth and when it was boiling, my brother took over and cooked up 4# of steamed clams. It was seafood heaven! I have never wrapped myself around so much wonderful fresh seafood in my life. My little niece mostly confined herself to fruits and vegetables, so we four adults had a feast. There is a little bit of lobster meat and tamale left, so I'm thinking lobster rolls for supper...a little mayo, a bit of lemon juice, a bit of salt and pepper, and that's it.
physics girl phd
- 931
- 3
Wow. I want to be adopted by turbo.
But we did pretty good here for just the 3.25 of us (M is away for the summer)... Corn on the cob, cedar-planked sockeye salmon (presumably from water sources not included in the endangered species act), and slices of chocolate orange mousse cake from EarthFare. The kids and I went to EarthFare to get it for him Friday... he positively swooned when we had it at a small dinner party previously. While he rejects the "consumerism" of Father's day and such holidays, boy did he light up when I told him about the dessert hidden in the back of the fridge behind E's whole milk!
But we did pretty good here for just the 3.25 of us (M is away for the summer)... Corn on the cob, cedar-planked sockeye salmon (presumably from water sources not included in the endangered species act), and slices of chocolate orange mousse cake from EarthFare. The kids and I went to EarthFare to get it for him Friday... he positively swooned when we had it at a small dinner party previously. While he rejects the "consumerism" of Father's day and such holidays, boy did he light up when I told him about the dessert hidden in the back of the fridge behind E's whole milk!
shelovesmath
- 59
- 0
I've officially started my canning season. I've made pickles and apricot chutney so far.
WatermelonPig
- 140
- 0
Just had an Angus Deluxe from McDonalds . . . for the 10th time this month of course haha!
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
My wife made a new appetizer for a light supper tonight. Chunks of pig's liver topped with water chestnuts, wrapped in bacon, pinned with toothpicks, and broiled. Very, very good. She made a few with dates instead of water chestnuts, but I found them too sweet, overpowering the flavor of the liver.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
turbo,
I know you're the bread man, so I thought you would be the best person to ask or inquire about. You know how much I like Wheat Beer, but I also really like Wheat Bread.
Since it's so hot out this evening, I've been doing a little wheat beer drinking and since being a little hungry, I had some slices a "honey wheat" bread along with it. OMG Have I been so out of touch that I missed this in my life?
I know you're the bread man, so I thought you would be the best person to ask or inquire about. You know how much I like Wheat Beer, but I also really like Wheat Bread.
Since it's so hot out this evening, I've been doing a little wheat beer drinking and since being a little hungry, I had some slices a "honey wheat" bread along with it. OMG Have I been so out of touch that I missed this in my life?
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
My father's favorite commercial bread is a split-top honey wheat. The top of each loaf has a a v-shaped recess that has been drizzled with butter (or a substitute) before baking. Local commercial bakeries tend to have some version of that around here. It's a bit too sweet for my taste, but my father likes it for his morning garlic-toast.dlgoff said:turbo,
I know you're the bread man, so I thought you would be the best person to ask or inquire about. You know how much I like Wheat Beer, but I also really like Wheat Bread.
Since it's so hot out this evening, I've been doing a little wheat beer drinking and since being a little hungry, I had some slices a "honey wheat" bread along with it. OMG Have I been so out of touch that I missed this in my life?
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
But have you ever had wheat bread along with wheat beer? Or any kind of beer and wheat bread since the hops flavor seems to really go along with it? Not just Honey/sweet bread.turbo-1 said:My father's favorite commercial bread is a split-top honey wheat. The top of each loaf has a a v-shaped recess that has been drizzled with butter (or a substitute) before baking. Local commercial bakeries tend to have some version of that around here. It's a bit too sweet for my taste, but my father likes it for his morning garlic-toast.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Never had the two together...dlgoff said:But have you ever had wheat bread along with wheat beer? Or any kind of beer and wheat bread since the hops flavor seems to really go along with it? Not just Honey/sweet bread.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Those are all called rumaki. Although I use chicken liver.turbo-1 said:My wife made a new appetizer for a light supper tonight. Chunks of pig's liver topped with water chestnuts, wrapped in bacon, pinned with toothpicks, and broiled. Very, very good. She made a few with dates instead of water chestnuts, but I found them too sweet, overpowering the flavor of the liver.
Last edited:
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
I didn't know there was a name for them. We often make something similar with sea-scallops instead of liver, but my wife had them made with liver at a friend's house and she gave them a test-run tonight.Evo said:Those are all called rumaki. Although I use chicken liver.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I love them. Sea scallops are good for making them.turbo-1 said:I didn't know there was a name for them. We often make something similar with sea-scallops instead of liver, but my wife had them made with liver at a friend's house and she gave them a test-run tonight.
There is another similar recipe using prunes called "devils on horseback" and if you bacon wrap oysters, they're call "angels on horseback".
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Can you even get sea scallops in KS? They are horrendously expensive here in ME, but at least they are fresh and sweet. Short trip from the coast. Some restaurants persist in selling "bay scallops" which are just stamped-out pieces of skates and rays. That should be verboten in Maine.Evo said:I love them. Sea scallops are good for making them.
There is another similar recipe using prunes called "devils on horseback" and if you bacon wrap oysters, they're call "angels on horseback".