Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 818K views
You won't believe this one! When I stopped by a friend's house recently, he insisted that I try some of their home made pizza. It was a very fine pizza, quite good in fact, but the shocker came after I had finished eating a piece - the crust was made out of cauliflower!

I just found the recipe [or one very similar]
http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009/05/low-carb-pizza-dough-cauliflower.html

This is wonderful news for me! I had to stop eating pizza, one of my favorites, because all of the carbs in the crust wreak havoc on my blood sugar. Pizza is back on the menu! YAY!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
You won't believe this one! When I stopped by a friend's house recently, he insisted that I try some of their home made pizza. It was a very fine pizza, quite good in fact, but the shocker came after I had finished eating a piece - the crust was made out of cauliflower!

I just found the recipe [or one very similar]
http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009/05/low-carb-pizza-dough-cauliflower.html

This is wonderful news for me! I had to stop eating pizza, one of my favorites, because all of the carbs in the crust wreak havoc on my blood sugar. Pizza is back on the menu! YAY!
Good for you! I hope you can get some of that comfort food back!

My wife and I have reverted to using soft tortillas instead of our home-made yeasty crusts, in part because of that reason. I have no problem with blood sugar, but her family has a strong history of diabetes. We eat (essentially) NO sweets, and she bakes bread for me every weekend. I'll eat a loaf of home-made French bread every week with no problem, but she doesn't indulge too much. If you have a blood-glucose meter and are willing to chart things frequently, you can see what carbs can do to people whose bodies can't process carbs efficiently. It's pretty illuminating. I am not surprised by US obesity levels, and increases in obesity-related diseases, but I am surprised that more people haven't fallen into severe diabetes, when they can lose their vision, their limbs (due to loss of peripheral circulation), and become crippled by kidney failure.

Again, I'm glad that you can manage to start making a favorite food again. I'd have to try that cauliflower-crust before becoming a convert, but the sauce, the toppings, and the seasonings are the heart of a pizza.
 
turbo said:
I'd have to try that cauliflower-crust before becoming a convert, but the sauce, the toppings, and the seasonings are the heart of a pizza.

I never never never would have guessed. It did seem just a bit unusual, but it was good.

They use a thin silicone pad on the baking pan. I guess that helps it cook properly.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
I never never never would have guessed. It did seem just a bit unusual, but it was good.

They use a thin silicone pad on the baking pan. I guess that helps it cook properly.
Is there any material to bind the cauliflower? I'm asking because my wife might like to try this alternate crust. I am not a huge fan of cauliflower, but I grow it every year because my wife loves it. Go figure! She likes summer squash and zucchini, too. I think those crops are wasted space.
 
turbo said:
Is there any material to bind the cauliflower? I'm asking because my wife might like to try this alternate crust. I am not a huge fan of cauliflower, but I grow it every year because my wife loves it. Go figure! She likes summer squash and zucchini, too. I think those crops are wasted space.

I posted a link to the recipe. They use egg and mozzarella cheese.

I don't like cauliflower either.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
I posted a link to the recipe. They use egg and mozzarella cheese.

I don't like cauliflower either.
Thanks. Just trying to be as accurate as possible. She who must not be mislead (who is that?) must not start from a basis too far removed from reality, lest I find myself trying to consume days' worth of not-so-tasty foods.
 
turbo said:
Thanks. Just trying to be as accurate as possible. She who must not be mislead (who is that?) must not start from a basis too far removed from reality, lest I find myself trying to consume days' worth of not-so-tasty foods.

I'm still waiting for the recipe from my buddy's wife, but the recipe linked must be about the same thing.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
I'm still waiting for the recipe from my buddy's wife, but the recipe linked must be about the same thing.
You are probably right, but I don't want to have to eat too many days' worth of mistakes.

And I really don't like cauliflower.
 
Wow, just had fresh cheese ravioli, fresh pecorino romano and asiago cheese pizza blend, with home made marinara sauce and fresh italian (thick crust) bread, from Venda Ravioli. Oh, and one more thing, fresh hand made hot italian sausage mixed in the sauce. Very good.

Rhody...
 
It's a chilly night here. I've spent all day studying and I didn't have anything good in the fridge. So I decided to walk to the cafe up the street.

I was freezing cold by the time I got there! But then I had a big bowl of split pea soup. It was good and very hot.

I walked home and wasn't the least bit cold the whole way :approve:.
 
Good split pea soup is amazing.

For a low carb pizza crust you can use just the egg and mozzarella cheese. I'll try to find the recipe. It's not bad at all. You actually crisp it before you put the toppings on.

This one uses 4 eggs and a "small package" of mozzarella cheese grated.

You beat the eggs, stir in the cheese and pour the mix into a buttered frying pan that can go in your oven. You then cook the crust without stirring on the stove top until it's crispy enough to be a pizza crust. From there you put on the toppings and put the pizza in the oven and bake until the topping cheese melts. Obviously the cauliflower added crust is lower calorie and better for you but I've done this one and it was quite good.
 
Last edited:
netgypsy said:
Good split pea soup is amazing.

For a low carb pizza crust you can use just the egg and mozzarella cheese. I'll try to find the recipe. It's not bad at all. You actually crisp it before you put the toppings on.

This one uses 4 eggs and a "small package" of mozzarella cheese grated.

You beat the eggs, stir in the cheese and pour the mix into a buttered frying pan that can go in your oven. You then cook the crust without stirring on the stove top until it's crispy enough to be a pizza crust. From there you put on the toppings and put the pizza in the oven and bake until the topping cheese melts. Obviously the cauliflower added crust is lower calorie and better for you but I've done this one and it was quite good.
I love cauliflower, when it's homegrown, it tastes like butter.

The cheese crust sounds good.
 
Tsu made the cauliflower pizza crust pizza tonight. Incredible! There isn't even a hint of cauliflower that either one of us can detect, and it seems like a regular pizza crust. I can eat pizza and not pass out. :biggrin: Most excellent!

Course there is still enough salt and fat to choke a horse, but it is nice to have the option to have pizza occasionally.
 
Pizza without salt and fat wouldn't be pizza. When I was a kid, my uncle had a grocery store. On Fridays, the truck would show up and load his little store with cases and cases of canned goods, packaged goods, and stuff. I'd head down there after school, and mark and shelf all of the new stock with my cousin. When we were done, we'd make ourselves a pizza, topping it with steak, shrimp, fresh mushrooms, etc. My uncle got a LOT of work for a pretty affordable pay-out. A loaded pizza and a couple of sodas?

BTW, my cousin and I have stayed pretty close over the last 40+ years, and he was the project leader for Lockheed Martin on the final HST upgrade. Kids from the woods aren't always hicks.
 
I wanted to make my favorite chickenchiladas tonight, but didn't have the canned green chiles for the sauce.

So I decided to make a homemade red chili gravy, like you get in a restaurant back in Texas. This is the same gravy used on tamales.

Basically, just boil dried whole or crushed, ground red chile peppers in water.

I only had ground chili powder, so I boiled 2 cups of water, added 1 beef bouillion cube, 3 tbs chili powder, 2 tbs mild and 1 tsp hot paprika, 1 tsp cumin and a bit of garlic powder. Brought to a boil, stirring, and simmered about 1 hour.

Got the idea from here, sounds really good.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Mexican-Red-Chili-Gravy-aka-sauce/step2/Heat-the-peppers/
 
Last edited:
So, Evo Child wanted to do some baking for Christmas. :cry:

Where's my Oster Kitchen Center?

Where's my Cuisinart?

Where's my cordless hand blender?

Where's my spring form tube pan? My spring form cake pans, my mini muffin tins, my bundt pans. Even my regular cake pans? :cry:
 
Evo said:
So, Evo Child wanted to do some baking for Christmas. :cry:

Where's my Oster Kitchen Center?

Where's my Cuisinart?

Where's my cordless hand blender?

Where's my spring form tube pan? My spring form cake pans, my mini muffin tins, my bundt pans. Even my regular cake pans? :cry:
Am I missing the boat here, you are at Evo child's right for Christmas, and at one time Evo child either had the appliances you mentioned or you gave them to her, right ? Garage sale ?

Rhody...
 
rhody said:
Am I missing the boat here, you are at Evo child's right for Christmas, and at one time Evo child either had the appliances you mentioned or you gave them to her, right ? Garage sale ?

Rhody...
No, I was going to prepare some things ahead of time, the rest has to be hauled to her house, but I have nothing to haul. I'm not going to her house until Christmas day. Ok, well, we can make a batch of cookies and forget the rest. :frown:

She has no idea what a spring form tube pan is or what it would be used for. :-p
 
Evo said:
So, Evo Child wanted to do some baking for Christmas. :cry:

Where's my Oster Kitchen Center?

Where's my Cuisinart?

Where's my cordless hand blender?

Where's my spring form tube pan? My spring form cake pans, my mini muffin tins, my bundt pans. Even my regular cake pans? :cry:

You mean you can't find them after moving?

BTW: what was the model of the smoker you wanted for Christmas?
 
How did the chili gravy turn out? Sounds good.

Got a craving for something sweet and chocolaty. Had pretty much nothing in the house. So poured three tablespoons heavy cream, three heaping tablespoons unsweetened real cocoa powder, added cinnamon and sugar to taste, stirred it up well and had instant chocolate mousse. It was totally amazing.
 
netgypsy said:
How did the chili gravy turn out? Sounds good.

Got a craving for something sweet and chocolaty. Had pretty much nothing in the house. So poured three tablespoons heavy cream, three heaping tablespoons unsweetened real cocoa powder, added cinnamon and sugar to taste, stirred it up well and had instant chocolate mousse. It was totally amazing.

:!)
 
Evo Child did the shopping for our Christmas dinner. She offered to pay, so I gave her a list.

:smile: She bought miniatures of everything on the list, I hope there is enough to make the recipes.

What she doesn't realize is that she paid almost as much for the small sizes as the larger sizes.

Luckily she left before I unpacked, I'm still laughing at these tiny packages.

Oh no, I asked for toilet paper too. What is this?
 
netgypsy said:
How did the chili gravy turn out? Sounds good.
The chili gravy was awesome, I will be making this a LOT.
 
Do you think it would be OK if a small shop torch like this were to be used for cooking? Like for creme brulee?

I don't see why not.
 
lisab said:
Do you think it would be OK if a small shop torch like this were to be used for cooking? Like for creme brulee?

I don't see why not.
Oh yeah, they use these small torches on shows like chopped, they work great, unfortunately no one can turn them off...
 
Pengwuino said:
What is this thread?
This is the food thread.

That will be $50. Greg can arrange the transfer of your money to my account. :biggrin:
 
Pengwuino said:
What is this thread?

You don't use torches to prepare your food?!
 
Evo said:
This is the food thread.

That will be $50. Greg can arrange the transfer of your money to my account. :biggrin:

Quit trying to rob me. BYE EVO!