Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 813K views
Evo said:
what is straw cooking?

Thee knows when you put your hand into a pile of wet grass it feels hot,
it works on the same principle. only you have a (straw box) and pack it with straw around your dish.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here you go Evo, i have found this,

http://recipes.stsams.org/recipes/hayboxes4slowcooking.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is too good to be true, but it is true! I made it on Monday.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_33671,00.html , by Giada De Laurentiis.

I knew it was going to be great when I saw her make it, but the finished product in my kitchen exceeded all expectations. I can't even describe how great this is. Seriously when my GF and I tasted it the only thing either one of us could think of to say was, "Holy flippin' sugar!" (censored for PF :D). As the Nike commercials say, just do it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Mattson said:
This is too good to be true, but it is true! I made it on Monday.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_33671,00.html , by Giada De Laurentiis.

I knew it was going to be great when I saw her make it, but the finished product in my kitchen exceeded all expectations. I can't even describe how great this is. Seriously when my GF and I tasted it the only thing either one of us could think of to say was, "Holy flippin' sugar!" (censored for PF :D). As the Nike commercials say, just do it.
Just reading the name of it sounds yummy! Though, I much prefer Nocello over Limoncello. (I haven't even read the recipe yet, so don't know if that's a reasonable substitution in this case).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nocello is a walnut liqueur, while limoncello is a lemon liqueur. It would be completely different. This cheesecake is supposed to taste like lemon, but I bet nocello in an apple cheesecake would be great.
 
Last edited:
Tom Mattson said:
Nocello is a walnut liqueur, while limoncello is a lemon liqueur. It would be completely different. This cheesecake is supposed to taste like lemon, but I bet nocello in an apple cheesecake would be great.
I know it would be completely different, but I don't like lemon much, and I do like the walnut liqueur, so a walnut cheesecake might be quite tasty. :approve:

Oh, and by the way, Tom...will you marry me (so I can get you cook for me every night)[/color]? :biggrin: :!) :!) :!)
 
Moonbear said:
I know it would be completely different, but I don't like lemon much, and I do like the walnut liqueur, so a walnut cheesecake might be quite tasty. :approve:

I think it would taste kind of funny with all that lemon zest. :-p

Oh, and by the way, Tom...will you marry me (so I can get you cook for me every night)[/color]? :biggrin: :!) :!) :!)


Sure, I'll marry you but I expect to be rewarded for cooking[/color]. :biggrin:
 
Tom Mattson said:
I think it would taste kind of funny with all that lemon zest. :-p
Well, I did say I hadn't read the recipe when I made that comment. :smile: Yeah, I'm not sure lemon and walnut would be a good combination (then again, I've never tried it). But, that's the sort of thing I do, I take a recipe that sounds really good, except for some flavoring I'd rather do without, and I'll start substituting things from there. Basically, use the cheesecake base as a template for adding other flavors.

Sure, I'll marry you but I expect to be rewarded for cooking[/color]. :biggrin:
No problem! If you cook like that all the time, I'd be glad to reward you...heck, I could even throw in washing the dishes. :biggrin:
 
Moonbear said:
Basically, use the cheesecake base as a template for adding other flavors.

I've already got some plans in the works for 4 different ones: blueberry, chocolate cherry, cherry almond, and caramel apple. I think I'll look into making that last one caramel apple walnut, and using nocello. :approve:
 
The best cheesecake in the world, hands down, is Saskatoon Amaretto Cheesecake, it is to die for! Frozen mocha cheesecake is good as well but nothing touches the saskatoon kind.
 
Moonbear said:
Oh, and by the way, Tom...will you marry me . . .
Incidentals and unnecessary information deleted. :biggrin:

Tom Mattson said:
Sure, I'll marry you . . . . :biggrin:
Unnecessary information deleted. :biggrin:

Great! That's good enough for me. I now pronounce you man and wife.

Let's eat!
 
Last edited:
http://www.funweddings.com/?p1=Moonbear&p2=Tom+Mattson&who=bride&wit=Astronuc&action=1&Submit=Continue+%3E%3E%3E

Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here today to join together this
man and this woman in virtual matrimony. Into this holy estate these two
persons present now come to be joined. If any person can show just cause
why they may not be joined together, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Moonbear, do you take Tom Mattson to be your virtual wedded
husband? Do you promise to love, comfort,
honor, and keep him for better or
worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health as long as you both
shall live?

Quick Moonber, hit "I DO'. :biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
http://www.funweddings.com/?p1=Moonbear&p2=Tom+Mattson&who=bride&wit=Astronuc&action=1&Submit=Continue+%3E%3E%3E

Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here today to join together this
man and this woman in virtual matrimony. Into this holy estate these two
persons present now come to be joined. If any person can show just cause
why they may not be joined together, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Moonbear, do you take Tom Mattson to be your virtual wedded
husband? Do you promise to love, comfort,
honor, and keep him for better or
worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health as long as you both
shall live?

Quick Moonber, hit "I DO'. :biggrin:

Woo hoo! Tom, you may kiss the bride! :!) :!) :biggrin:

http://www.funweddings.com/index.php?p1=Moonbear&p2=Tom+Mattson&who=bride&wit=Astronuc&action=3&Submit=Click+Here+For+Your+Marriage+Certificate
 
Last edited by a moderator:
<Throws rice>

:cry: I always cry at weddings. :cry:
 
Moonbear said:
We'll be having cheesecake at the reception. :smile:
Oooh. :approve:

I want to marry someone too!

Maybe we should have a "who would you marry" thread. :biggrin:

Maybe I'll marry cyrus, he has crabcakes. Or wolram, he's a good cook. But Penqwuino is learning to cook. Arildno has great pickles...it could be a "marriage of convenience". :smile:
 
Last edited:
Tom Mattson said:
I've already got some plans in the works for 4 different ones: blueberry, chocolate cherry, cherry almond, and caramel apple. I think I'll look into making that last one caramel apple walnut, and using nocello. :approve:

Hmm...and if he ever breaks his vows and stops cooking, I know which cheesecake to put the cyanide in. :biggrin: Oh, wait, I'm not supposed to let him find out I'm psycho until after the marriage is consummated, am I? :rolleyes:
 
Moonbear said:
Hmm...and if he ever breaks his vows and stops cooking, I know which cheesecake to put the cyanide in. :biggrin: Oh, wait, I'm not supposed to let him find out I'm psycho until after the marriage is consummated, am I? :rolleyes:
Oh, yeah, you definitely want to wait. :wink:
 
Woah here ! I have been gone only for a day and you have pulled of a wedding !
Moonbear pulled off a fast one, didn't she ?:approve:
Is the reception cheesecake also virtual ?:cry:
Do you mind sending the RV so that I can come over ?:wink:

Evo said:
Maybe we should have a "who would you marry" thread.
I was thinking about it ... nah:-p

Maybe we should marry off larkspur and honestrosewater too .
Four weddings and we can look for Moonbear and her cyanide to provide the funeral .:biggrin:
 
arunbg said:
Do you mind sending the RV so that I can come over ?:wink:
Sure, I think we can arrange to have the RV shuttle all our wedding guests over for the reception. Besides, the sooner we get everyone here for the reception, the sooner we can have the honeymoon! :biggrin:

Maybe we should marry off larkspur and honestrosewater too .
Four weddings and we can look for Moonbear and her cyanide to provide the funeral .:biggrin:
Just one funeral? How will we ever decide? :devil:
 
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/Chef.gif
Don't you worry about me not cooking. Just remember I'm going to need some sweet lovin' down by the fire after dinner. :!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Mattson said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/Chef.gif
Don't you worry about me not cooking. Just remember I'm going to need some sweet lovin' down by the fire after dinner. :!)
Hmmm...it just occurred to me that you've never posted a picture of yourself. :rolleyes: Oh well...just keep cooking and I'll get used to that third eye and hump. :biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was going to keep up the mystique until my 5th PF anniversary, but since 2 PF'ers have met me in person my secret has been compromised anyway. I'll see about posting a pic soon. Or not. It will depend on if I can get that 3rd eye edited out.
 
Tom Mattson said:
Yeah I was going to keep up the mystique until my 5th PF anniversary, but since 2 PF'ers have met me in person my secret has been compromised anyway. I'll see about posting a pic soon. Or not. It will depend on if I can get that 3rd eye edited out.
Hmmm...speaking of which, when is the next PF Chicago gathering?
 
Tom Mattson said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/Chef.gif
Don't you worry about me not cooking. Just remember I'm going to need some sweet lovin' down by the fire after dinner. :!)


Wow! Honestly that's exqactly the way I imagined you... o:)

I'll see about posting a pic soon.
And we all know SOON means NEVER!:devil:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
Hmmm...speaking of which, when is the next PF Chicago gathering?

I can't break away until next Thansgiving. :frown:
 
I'm trying to imagine Chef from South Park teaching calculus. :smile: I wonder how often Tom breaks into song.
 
Math Is Hard said:
I'm trying to imagine Chef from South Park teaching calculus. :smile: I wonder how often Tom breaks into song.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 
I don't sing like chef in class because girls don't take calculus. :biggrin:
 
Evo said:
Oooh. :approve:

I want to marry someone too!
I've got just the guy for you. I'll have to go look him up because he doesn't have a phone. He's a motivational speaker and he lives in a van down by the river. You may have seen him on TV.

:smile: