TheStatutoryApe said:
In one episode they asked the chefs from what is apparently the worlds foremost french culinary institute to present the contestant chefs with the ingredients they believed would show a good chef's true skill. These turned out to be a chicken, potatoes, and an onion.
Not a bad choice, though I would want to have a few more staples at hand. If my wife calls and tells me that she has to work late and wants me to have supper ready, and I have these things at hand, supper is drop-dead easy. Scramble an egg, dip the chicken parts in the egg and then roll them in a mix of crumbs, salt, pepper, and whatever other seasonings appeal to me (I am fond of Javin-brand curry powder) and bake the chicken in a preheated oven (375F) in a covered dish until done, then uncover the dish and brown the breading. I prefer Panko bread crumbs, but Saltines work quite well (just cut back on the salt). In the meantime, I'd either throw some baking potatoes in the oven (while fixing the chicken) or cut up the potatoes with the skins on and boil them with onions and a few cloves of garlic and mash them all together with a little butter, salt and pepper. No milk, no over-mashing to "smooth" the potatoes. If I baked potatoes, I would saute the onion and garlic in butter, take the potatoes out of the oven, split them and spoon in the onion, garlic, and butter, season with salt and pepper, and perhaps add some sharp cheese before returning the potatoes to the oven for a bit.
Simple and tasty. No rules!
College students with limited resources and crappy kitchens, please try this. You'll get a reputation for culinary skills that far exceeds your experience and efforts. You don't need a lot of money, equipment, or skill to produce gourmet-grade foods. Tinker with these basic plans, apply spices with a light hand, and concentrate on getting the food done well, not well-done. Over-cooking and over-processing foods wrecks them, so pay attention.