Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 813K views
Physics news on Phys.org
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
lisab said:Ginger is like food of the gods :!).
Nutritious, delicious, good for motion sickness, makes great candy, tea, soda, and savory foods... you have a point.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Pickled ginger for sushi and my gingerbread cookies with lemon icing at Christmas. I have never taken to candied ginger.
I slice up raw ginger root and keep it in a small jar of sherry in the fridge. Lasts forever and perfect to throw into a dish.
I slice up raw ginger root and keep it in a small jar of sherry in the fridge. Lasts forever and perfect to throw into a dish.
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
Evo said:Pickled ginger for sushi and my gingerbread cookies with lemon icing at Christmas. I have never taken to candied ginger.
I slice up raw ginger root and keep it in a small jar of sherry in the fridge. Lasts forever and perfect to throw into a dish.
Oh man, when I get sushi I ask for a bowl of the pickled ginger first thing... I LOVE IT.
Have you tried candied ginger that's actually substantial and fresh? The stuff I linked to comes in big thick slices... so you have the sugar, but it's truly to preserve and balance, not mask the taste.
btw, does anyone here like good old fashioned gingerbread, as in the moist bread? That can make for a fantastic treat, and goes well with a number of beverages. Ginger also makes a fantastic gastrique, and a good infusion for vodka, along with some pink peppercorns and citrus.
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
Astronuc said:I've had an interesting ginger-dark chocolate bar and a ginger raspberry jam that was really good.
The ginger smoothie was a standard tropical blend. He added extra ginger at my request.
Mmm... was it a yogurt base or pure fruit and such? I'm going to try making some of these...
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
My wife and I are trying something different in the bread department. All this week, I have been tending sourdough starter and this weekend we are going to make sourdough-based seeded Jewish rye loaves.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,712
- 7,804
It was banana based (for creamy texture) IIRC with crushed ice. It had mango in it. I think there was some milk or cream it.nismaratwork said:Mmm... was it a yogurt base or pure fruit and such? I'm going to try making some of these...
He ran the ginger first, then followed with apple to capture the ginger. Then blended in the fruit and then ice.
It's more or less the way Jamba juice makes a smoothie. He just perfected the tropical blend with extra ginger.
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
Astronuc said:It was banana based (for creamy texture) IIRC with crushed ice. It had mango in it. I think there was some milk or cream it.
He ran the ginger first, then followed with apple to capture the ginger. Then blended in the fruit and then ice.
It's more or less the way Jamba juice makes a smoothie. He just perfected the tropical blend with extra ginger.
Thanks Astronuc, I'm going to give that a whirl (PUN).
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
We have some candied ginger in the 'fridge that we use to make spicy brine for roasting fowl and meat. I'll have to recommend to my wife that she use some of that up when she's making banana/berry smoothies for breakfast.
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
turbo-1 said:We have some candied ginger in the 'fridge that we use to make spicy brine for roasting fowl and meat. I'll have to recommend to my wife that she use some of that up when she's making banana/berry smoothies for breakfast.
Mmmm... brines are the best! I brine all fowl from chicken through duck to turkey, and having done so I would never go back. Meat I usually vacuum marinade... what kind of brine do you go for?
Here's a nice way to prepare skirt steak or hanger steak:
12 hours before cooking:
Water, Soy Sauce (the real deal, no hydrolyzed protein crap), plenty of sugar, a small handful of rough chopped lemongrass, crushed garlic, ground black pepper, Salt. This is best on the highest heat you can manage. Place in bag for 12 hours, then cook.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
We started with Alton Brown's turkey brine recipe and tinker with it. Very few things around here are cooked strictly by any recipe. I am the saucier in this kitchen, when I don't have my chef's hat on.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
I had used up current jar of chili relish and wanted a change-up for my pan-fried hot dogs (lunch). I managed to locate a 2-year-old jar of my tomato-based jalapeno salsa. Yum! The pantry is a bit disorganized, so home-made delicacies like this can sometimes escape detection for a while.
hypatia
- 1,192
- 10
Apple time here in Michigan! Apple muffins.Ingredients
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 cup white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup milk
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1/4 cup butter, melted
* 1 cup apple - peeled, cored and chopped
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
2. Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, stir together milk, egg and butter. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until combined. Don't over stir!
Fold in chopped apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 cup white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup milk
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1/4 cup butter, melted
* 1 cup apple - peeled, cored and chopped
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
2. Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, stir together milk, egg and butter. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until combined. Don't over stir!
Fold in chopped apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,229
- 61
That looks delicious hypatia!
Last weekend I received a large bag of poaching pears, home grown ones out of someone's garden. I've been poaching them in red wine every night and can't get enough of it, delicious! I still have many left, are there any good suggestions for other ways to prepare them?
Last weekend I received a large bag of poaching pears, home grown ones out of someone's garden. I've been poaching them in red wine every night and can't get enough of it, delicious! I still have many left, are there any good suggestions for other ways to prepare them?
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,093
Are pears endangered? Do their tusks make for good carving?
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Have you considered making a compote of the pears, with apple cider, a bit of cider vinegar, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc? Might be a nice way to top a scoop of ice-cream...Monique said:That looks delicious hypatia!
Last weekend I received a large bag of poaching pears, home grown ones out of someone's garden. I've been poaching them in red wine every night and can't get enough of it, delicious! I still have many left, are there any good suggestions for other ways to prepare them?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,229
- 61
DaveC426913 said:Are pears endangered? Do their tusks make for good carving?
Oooh, no. But that sounds delicious! I have all the ingredients lying around, except for the ice-cream. I'll definitely try that tomorrow.turbo-1 said:Have you considered making a compote of the pears, with apple cider, a bit of cider vinegar, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc? Might be a nice way to top a scoop of ice-cream...
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Dave is punning on the word "poaching". You can poach eggs, and other foods, but poaching animals means shooting them illegally. Poachers take their toll on slow-breeding animals like elephants and rhinos.Monique said:you should know how long it took me to find the correct word for the pears, the translator never mentioned anything about tusks. I call them stove-pears and judging by their quantity they are not endangered.
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
DaveC426913 said:Are pears endangered? Do their tusks make for good carving?
You sir, are a wit... and maybe a little evil.
Anyway, pear ivory is primarily used for fertility medicines in southeast asia... DUH.
Hypatia: I'm making those muffins... I have a niece and nephew who are going to swoon over them. I'll report back, and thanks for sharing that recipe!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,712
- 7,804
Fold in a cup or so of oats (that one uses for oatmeal) and one can make apple crisp. Usually one puts it in baking pan and covers with a layer of oats mixed with cinnamon, sugar and butter.hypatia said:Apple time here in Michigan! Apple muffins.
Ingredients
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 cup white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup milk
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1/4 cup butter, melted
* 1 cup apple - peeled, cored and chopped
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
2. Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, stir together milk, egg and butter. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until combined. Don't over stir!
Fold in chopped apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Oh, I MUST get spawn's apple crisp recipe. You have never, ever tasted anything this good in your entire life, I guarantee it. Yes, it has oats in it.Astronuc said:Fold in a cup or so of oats (that one uses for oatmeal) and one can make apple crisp. Usually one puts it in baking pan and covers with a layer of oats mixed with cinnamon, sugar and butter.
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
Evo said:Oh, I MUST get spawn's apple crisp recipe. You have never, ever tasted anything this good in your entire life, I guarantee it. Yes, it has oats in it.
Crisp? *sniffs* I keep hearing talk of crisps... I... LOVE apple crisp. It's my favorite desert... please... please share! *begs*.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
We are at the mercy of the Spawn of Evo. I have been begging her for her recipe for over 2 years with no luck. It is to die for.nismaratwork said:Crisp? *sniffs* I keep hearing talk of crisps... I... LOVE apple crisp. It's my favorite desert... please... please share! *begs*.

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,712
- 7,804
I will gladly take you up on that!Evo said:Oh, I MUST get spawn's apple crisp recipe. You have never, ever tasted anything this good in your entire life, I guarantee it. Yes, it has oats in it.
Does one eat it à la mode?
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Watching the premiere episode of "meat and potatoes" where some idiot supposedly goes around naming "The best of" places.
The opening of the show names the best place for barbecue, some place called "Danny Edwards Boulevard BBQ" in Kansas City. I have never heard of the place, Evo Child and her BF have never heard of it. We live in Kansas City. I've seen a number of "Best BBQ in Kansas City" shows on tv, and I've heard of some, eaten in some, but never eaten in what all of the natives say is the best.
The best BBQ is a small dive in southern Johnson county that is only open a few days a week and for only a few hours. It's always in the paper as the best, everyone says it's the best. I've never eaten there, but it's the only place I've ever heard about, so I assume it's really the best, from word of mouth.
Oh, and did I mention that this person, the host, is incredibly annoying?
The opening of the show names the best place for barbecue, some place called "Danny Edwards Boulevard BBQ" in Kansas City. I have never heard of the place, Evo Child and her BF have never heard of it. We live in Kansas City. I've seen a number of "Best BBQ in Kansas City" shows on tv, and I've heard of some, eaten in some, but never eaten in what all of the natives say is the best.
The best BBQ is a small dive in southern Johnson county that is only open a few days a week and for only a few hours. It's always in the paper as the best, everyone says it's the best. I've never eaten there, but it's the only place I've ever heard about, so I assume it's really the best, from word of mouth.
Oh, and did I mention that this person, the host, is incredibly annoying?
Last edited:
G037H3
- 280
- 2
I just had a coffee from 7-11, half hot cocoa, half pumpkin spice.
Do I get secret special points for posting in this thread? :O
Do I get secret special points for posting in this thread? :O
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Yes, yes you do.G037H3 said:I just had a coffee from 7-11, half hot cocoa, half pumpkin spice.
Do I get secret special points for posting in this thread? :O