Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 813K views
:D

I don't really cook, but hopefully you guys post recipes. Or perhaps you just brag about your cooking utensils. o_O
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
We are at the mercy of the Spawn of Evo. I have been begging her for her recipe for over 2 years with no luck. It is to die for. :cry:

I'll beg... hell, I'll GROVEL! Tell her that food is art, and like any art it can only be fully appreciated when shared. Tell her you'll cut off a limb, whatever it takes I NEED GOOD CRISP *pant* *pant*... OK... I'm better now... juuuust... ask nicely for all of us at PF... pretty pllleeeeaaassseee? :redface:
 
G037H3 said:
:D

I don't really cook, but hopefully you guys post recipes. Or perhaps you just brag about your cooking utensils. o_O

My rolling pin is bigger than yours... :wink:

Check the previous pages, there are some fantastic recipes for everything from haute cuisine through tacos and drinks. Remember, the best way to learn how to cook, is practice... just make sure you have your friends taste it first in case the food ends up toxic. Eventually you either develop skills, or you run out of vict- errr... friends.
 
Ugh, I just had the best burger in my entire life, and I've had some really great burgers.

I think I'm going to die. A big greasy handful of ground beef, bacon, and fried onion rings inside a bun. I couldn't finish it and I'm in pain from being about to burst open.

It's from a place called Smashburger.
 
Evo said:
Ugh, I just had the best burger in my entire life, and I've had some really great burgers.

I think I'm going to die. A big greasy handful of ground beef, bacon, and fried onion rings inside a bun. I couldn't finish it and I'm in pain from being about to burst open.

It's from a place called Smashburger.

I just posted what you need, in product claims.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/10304/saturday-night-live-colon-blow
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Ugh, I just had the best burger in my entire life, and I've had some really great burgers.

I think I'm going to die. A big greasy handful of ground beef, bacon, and fried onion rings inside a bun. I couldn't finish it and I'm in pain from being about to burst open.

It's from a place called Smashburger.

Sounds like the proverbial "good hurt" to me!
 
turbo-1 said:
Have you considered making a compote of the pears, with apple cider, a bit of cider vinegar, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc? Might be a nice way to top a scoop of ice-cream...
I brought home three bags of groceries and I forgot the ice-cream :cry:
Maybe I'll try and get some in the evening, but these days there has been unrest in the street. It has become illegal to poach houses, but some lowlifes decided that the law does not apply to them. So they poached a house that was empty, but for sale, pretty much next door to me. Result: an entertaining evening of riots, resulting in a lot of property damage. Now these lowlifes still have to be kicked out of the house that they illegally took possession of, I don't want to be walking around when that happens. (yes, I know that you can't poach a house, can someone inform me on the correct word?)

Anyway, I bought a bag of apples, so I'll probably be putting those into the stove this evening :biggrin:
 
Monique said:
I brought home three bags of groceries and I forgot the ice-cream :cry:
Maybe I'll try and get some in the evening, but these days there has been unrest in the street. It has become illegal to poach houses, but some lowlifes decided that the law does not apply to them. So they poached a house that was empty, but for sale, pretty much next door to me. Result: an entertaining evening of riots, resulting in a lot of property damage. Now these lowlifes still have to be kicked out of the house that they illegally took possession of, I don't want to be walking around when that happens. (yes, I know that you can't poach a house, can someone inform me on the correct word?)

Anyway, I bought a bag of apples, so I'll probably be putting those into the stove this evening :biggrin:

In English the correct term for taking residence in such a fashion is, "Squatting". It's extremely annoying, highly illegal, and generally a practice of people looking for a place to use illicit substances. I'm not sure that "poaching" is such a bad term either...
 
I discovered a way to lose weight and reduce the grocery bill by about 30%.

When our cat, poor ole toothless Issac, died, we didn't need to put wet [canned] food down in the house anymore as the other cats are all fine with dry food, which we buy in large bags. Beyond that, as I'm sure most cat owners would understand, it is all but impossible to feed only one cat, canned food. If Issac was eating canned food, in order to keep peace in the house, all of the other cats did as well. The end result was that after Isaac died, our need for cat food dropped dramatically, so I found myself making far fewer trips to the grocery store. As near as I can tell, beyond the cost of the cat food, our grocery bill has dropped by about 30% due to the fact that I shop less. Since I shop less, we tend to make do with smaller, less fancy meals, so I'm losing weight.

That was one damned expensive cat!
 
Ivan Seeking said:
I discovered a way to lose weight and reduce the grocery bill by about 30%.

When our cat, poor ole toothless Issac, died, we didn't need to put wet [canned] food down in the house anymore as the other cats are all fine with dry food, which we buy in large bags. Beyond that, as I'm sure most cat owners would understand, it is all but impossible to feed only one cat, canned food. If Issac was eating canned food, in order to keep peace in the house, all of the other cats did as well. The end result was that after Isaac died, our need for cat food dropped dramatically, so I found myself making far fewer trips to the grocery store. As near as I can tell, beyond the cost of the cat food, our grocery bill has dropped by about 30% due to the fact that I shop less. Since I shop less, we tend to make do with smaller, less fancy meals, so I'm losing weight.

That was one damned expensive cat!

Oh man Ivan, when you started talking about pet food, I feared the worst! :wink:
 
nismaratwork said:
Oh man Ivan, when you started talking about pet food, I feared the worst! :wink:

Well, my theory is that you can make a taco out of anything... You never know, a little cilantro and onion may go a long way.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Well, my theory is that you can make a taco out of anything... You never know, a little cilantro and onion may go a long way.

Well, if I had to eat cat food, Taco... or maybe a stew would be it. Still... a really great fish taco is a sublime experience. I'll happily risk food poisoning on some roadside taqueria for a good fish taco. :biggrin:
 
nismaratwork said:
Well, if I had to eat cat food, Taco... or maybe a stew would be it. Still... a really great fish taco is a sublime experience. I'll happily risk food poisoning on some roadside taqueria for a good fish taco. :biggrin:

My wife is a fish taco addict. When she goes to Hawaii, she pretty much lives on the fish tacos. If there isn't a local restaurant serving them, she'll track down a taco truck.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
My wife is a fish taco addict. When she goes to Hawaii, she pretty much lives on the fish tacos. If there isn't a local restaurant serving them, she'll track down a taco truck.

Sounds like a woman with fine taste and excellent taco skills. You sir, are a lucky man.
 
OK, looking for opinions on what kind of apples to use in a crisp. I'm thinking Granny Smiths, although in recent years they've been disappointing. Ideas?
 
Most definitely the Belle de Boskoop. Most popular variety here by street lenghts, for all apple dishes that involves heating, and for delicious reasons.
 
I wish I knew the variety of our apple tree by the road. The apples are crunchier and more tart than Macs, and they cook up very well. Great in crisps, pies, compotes, and applesauce.
 
Fall is here! Sunny cool weather, and we had a nice lunch on the deck. Fresh French bread, with a hearty soup made of venison burger, black beans, corn (that we cut and froze this summer), fresh garden tomatoes, carrots and and fresh herbs. The broth was started from a frozen beef stock reserved from a roast that we marinated and cooked earlier this summer.

Two kinds of fresh bread today - traditional French bread, and a seeded sourdough Jewish rye. Mmm! I have been babysitting that sourdough starter all week, and it was well worth the effort.
 
nismaratwork said:
In English the correct term for taking residence in such a fashion is, "Squatting". It's extremely annoying, highly illegal, and generally a practice of people looking for a place to use illicit substances. I'm not sure that "poaching" is such a bad term either...
Ah thank you, squatting it is. These people feel that it is their right to live at an A-location for 0-money, that other people actually have to work hard to pay for their apartment probably doesn't occur to them.

Anyway, I made a delicious apple ball:

Take an apple, peel it and remove the core.
Take a square of puff-pastry and put some beaten egg on it, together with a layer of sugar, cinnamon and some zest of a lemon.
Place the apple on the middle of the square and fill the core of the apple with a mixture of almond paste and raisins (that were hydrated in hot water or liquor).
Fold the puff-pastry so that it encloses the apple and cover with some egg and some more sugar.
Bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes and enjoy :smile:
 
Monique said:
Ah thank you, squatting it is. These people feel that it is their right to live at an A-location for 0-money, that other people actually have to work hard to pay for their apartment probably doesn't occur to them.

Anyway, I made a delicious apple ball:

Take an apple, peel it and remove the core.
Take a square of puff-pastry and put some beaten egg on it, together with a layer of sugar, cinnamon and some zest of a lemon.
Place the apple on the middle of the square and fill the core of the apple with a mixture of almond paste and raisins (that were hydrated in hot water or liquor).
Fold the puff-pastry so that it encloses the apple and cover with some egg and some more sugar.
Bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes and enjoy :smile:
Oooh, that sounds lovely!

It's a beautiful fall day, perfect for that sort of thing.

Evo child bought apples and they're the size of grapefruit. I accidently dropped one on the floor and it burst open and juice was running out of it, so I put the spewing part into my mouth and it was like fresh pressed apple juice running into my mouth. Wow. They're called honey crisp.
 
Last edited:
Evo said:
Oooh, that sounds lovely!
And it is so easy! Really, it only took a minute or two to put it together.

000511890_001_FRAL0812060_300.jpg
 
Monique said:
And it is so easy! Really, it only took a minute or two to put it together.

000511890_001_FRAL0812060_300.jpg

*DROOOL*

You know it never occurred to me that I might put on weight because I read PF. :
 
Monique said:
And it is so easy! Really, it only took a minute or two to put it together.

000511890_001_FRAL0812060_300.jpg
I want one. :cry:
 
Evo said:
I want one. :cry:

I'm making one... or eight... whatever I can manage to cram down my pie hole before my girlfriend catches and kills me for them. :-p
 
Monique said:
Anyway, I made a delicious apple ball:

Take an apple, peel it and remove the core.
Take a square of puff-pastry and put some beaten egg on it, together with a layer of sugar, cinnamon and some zest of a lemon.
Place the apple on the middle of the square and fill the core of the apple with a mixture of almond paste and raisins (that were hydrated in hot water or liquor).
Fold the puff-pastry so that it encloses the apple and cover with some egg and some more sugar.
Bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes and enjoy :smile:
My mom used to make baked apples. She'd core the apple and fill it with mixture of chopped apple, flour, currants and sultanas, cinammon (maybe allspice too) and sugar, and bake them. I don't know about nuts though. I'll have to get her recipe. They produced a nice juice and had a wonderful spicy apple taste. We'd eat them with vanilla ice cream.

I will definitely have to try apple balls.

I think soaking the raisins, currants or sultanas in rum would make for a nice dish.

I also love rum cake.
 
Astronuc said:
My mom used to make baked apples. She'd core the apple and fill it with mixture of chopped apple, flour, currants and sultanas, cinammon (maybe allspice too) and sugar, and bake them. I don't know about nuts though. I'll have to get her recipe. They produced a nice juice and had a wonderful spicy apple taste. We'd eat them with vanilla ice cream.

I will definitely have to try apple balls.

I think soaking the raisins, currants or sultanas in rum would make for a nice dish.

I also love rum cake.

I had a roommate years ago who made something similar to this...not in an apple, but in a sweet onion! It sounds strange but it really was delicious. Oh it had butter too :smile:.
 
nismaratwork said:
*DROOOL*

You know it never occurred to me that I might put on weight because I read PF. :
Funny you mention this. PF has helped me gain several pounds over the years. Mostly from beer though. :redface:
 
dlgoff said:
Funny you mention this. PF has helped me gain several pounds over the years. Mostly from beer though. :redface:

Ha! I can see how that would happen... now I'm torn between baked apples or onions. I think a nice porter would go well with a baked onion, and probably be about a million calories combined... a million sweeeet buttery caramelized calories.
 
OK nismar, I'm going to ruin your diet right now. Get a couple of large cloves of fresh garlic and put them in a preheated oven on a cookie sheet with a potato. When the baked potato is done, split it and mash the center a bit. Nip off the ends of the baked garlic cloves and squeeze the now-soft garlic into the baked potato. Add salt, pepper, and some butter to the potato and then cram in some nice sharp cheddar and pop that sucker back into the oven until the cheese is melted and starts to brown.

Better make extras! My wife had a bad case of the flu about 30 years ago and I couldn't get her to eat anything until I came up with this easy treat. Then, the garlic/cheese potatoes became a staple. They are SO good.
 
turbo-1 said:
OK nismar, I'm going to ruin your diet right now. Get a couple of large cloves of fresh garlic and put them in a preheated oven on a cookie sheet with a potato. When the baked potato is done, split it and mash the center a bit. Nip off the ends of the baked garlic cloves and squeeze the now-soft garlic into the baked potato. Add salt, pepper, and some butter to the potato and then cram in some nice sharp cheddar and pop that sucker back into the oven until the cheese is melted and starts to brown.

Better make extras! My wife had a bad case of the flu about 30 years ago and I couldn't get her to eat anything until I came up with this easy treat. Then, the garlic/cheese potatoes became a staple. They are SO good.

Oh god that sounds absolutely amazing. That said, when I die from cardiac failure my estate is suing this thread. :-p

One of my favorite potato applications is: boil in salted water, sweat some onions, then add smashed garlic and sautee... finish with freshly grated horseradish. Mash it all together with the potatoes and enough cream and butter to stun a rhino at a dozen paces. I recommend this with lamb or steak.