1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential difference across two points in a circuit

1. Jan 31, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the potential difference between points b and a in the circuit below
    Screen Shot 2015-01-31 at 1.09.33 AM.png
    I have already solved for the voltages of the two batteries (1 and 2) in the circuit (18 V and 7 V respectively)

2. Relevant equations

Kirchhoff's Rules
    1) Potential difference across any closed loop is 0
    2) Current in = current out

3. The attempt at a solution

I have read that Kirchhoff's current rule is how to approach these kinds of problems, but I am not sure how.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have found the voltages of the batteries correctly. How did you do it? For that, you had to use the potential difference between points a and b, that you know from the uppermost branch of the circuit.

4. Jan 31, 2015 #3
    I used Kirchhoffs voltage law to find the battery voltages. Could you elaborate on how I unknowingly found the potential difference between b and a please?

5. Jan 31, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right the equation, please.

6. Jan 31, 2015 #5
    For battery 2:

-2(1) - E2 - 2(2) - 1(6) + 20 -1(1) = 0, solve for E2 (Kirchhoff's voltage law around the large loop)

For battery 1:

E1 - 1(1) - 1(4) - 2(1) - E2 - 2(2) = 0, solve for E1 (Kirchhoff's voltage law around the bottom half loop)

7. Jan 31, 2015 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You started from point a and and followed the change of potential along the current. The potential change from a to b is Ub-Ua = -2(1) - E2 - 2(2) .
    From b to a, to potential changes by - 1(6) + 20 -1(1)= Ua-Ub. The potential difference between b and a is Ub-Ua = ??? :)

8. Jan 31, 2015 #7
    Oh, I think I understand. So if I start at point b and end at point a:

-1(6) + 20 - 1(1) = Vb - Va = 13 V

Is this correct? I only I have one try left, so I don't want to squander it.

9. Jan 31, 2015 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It must be correct.

10. Jan 31, 2015 #9
    Ok, I got the magnitude right (13) but the sign wrong (it was - 13 V). I don't understand why. If it wanted the potential difference from b to a, why would you not start at b and work your way towards a?

11. Jan 31, 2015 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It depends how the potential difference between points a and b is defined. Usually it is Ua-Ub. But the question was the potential between b and a, which is Ub-Ua, and it is negative.

12. Jan 31, 2015 #11
    Could you explain how to get the sign right? I don't understand why it's negative rather than positive.

13. Jan 31, 2015 #12

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In Post #6, the potential changed from Vb to Va by 13 V. So Va =13+ Vb, Va-Vb =13 . When it is said "potential difference between X and Y" your book means that you have to take the change of potential from Y to X: VX-VY.
    The question was
    You have to find the potential at b with respect to a, that is, Vb-Va. Vb-Va = - (Va-Vb) = -13 V

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted