Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Potential Difference b/t 2 points

1. Jul 13, 2006 #1
    Ok, I've got a problem:

The electric field in a region of space has the components Ey = Ez = 0 and Ex = (3.91 N/C)x. Point A is on the y axis at y = 2.83 m, and point B is on the x axis at x = 3.97 m. What is the potential difference VB - VA?

I have tried integrating E (wrt x) * x from x=0..3.97 . I keep getting 81.5506, and its not the right answer. Anyhelp would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2006 #2
    The p.d between A and B is [tex]-\int_{A}^{B}\vec{E}.d\vec{l}[/tex]. In your problem this reduces to [tex]-\int_{0}^{3.97}E_xdx[/tex]. Can you do it from here?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  4. Jul 13, 2006 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps you could show how you are doing the integration. I am not sure about your expression for [itex]E_x[/itex]. Is the field [itex]\vec{E} = 3.91\hat{x}[/itex] N/C (ie. constant field of 3. 91 N/C in the x direction) or is it: [itex]\vec{E} = 3.91x\hat{x}[/itex] N/C (a linearly increasing field)?

AM

5. Jul 13, 2006 #4
    Thanks guys :)

6. Jul 14, 2006 #5
    Well, tell us how you obtained your answer and answer Andrew's questions.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook