Potential difference between 2 points

In summary, potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is an indication of the strength of the electric field between the two points. It is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the two points between which the potential difference is being measured. The voltmeter measures the voltage drop between the two points and displays it in volts. Potential difference is directly proportional to electric current, according to Ohm's law. This means that as the potential difference increases, the electric current also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is characterized by the resistance between the two points, which is measured in oh
ledwardz

Homework Statement

2 points x and y, are along orthogonal directions from a 60uc charge. For x and y determine the potential difference between them. ( its in a vacuum also )
x= 10cm, y = 15cm

Homework Equations

okay, i know the equation is q/4*pi * EoEr *(1/ry - 1/rx)

what i don't understand is the end bit. the distance between them is not (1/ry - 1/rx)
can anyone explain to me how this works?

when i work out the electric fields at each point then multiply this by the distance to give me the potential difference (voltage) at each point too subtract one from the other i get the wrong answer. wtf is going on?

cheers for any help, Lee. :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ahh pooooo never mind I've done it stupid mistake ... my bad

1. What is potential difference between two points?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is an indication of the strength of the electric field between the two points.

2. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the two points between which the potential difference is being measured. The voltmeter measures the voltage drop between the two points and displays it in volts.

3. What is the relationship between potential difference and electric current?

Potential difference is directly proportional to electric current, according to Ohm's law. This means that as the potential difference increases, the electric current also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is characterized by the resistance between the two points, which is measured in ohms (Ω).

4. Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative if the direction of the electric current flow is opposite to the direction of the electric field. In this case, the electric potential energy decreases as the charge moves from one point to the other, resulting in a negative potential difference.

5. How does potential difference affect the flow of electrons?

Potential difference is the driving force that causes the flow of electrons, also known as electric current. The greater the potential difference, the greater the force on the electrons, resulting in a higher flow of current. However, if the potential difference is too high, it can lead to the breakdown of the material between the two points, resulting in a short circuit.