Potential Energy Approach to Derive Spring Element Equations

In summary, the total potential energy is the sum of the internal strain energy U and the potential energy of the external forces Ω. When you press/pull the spring to x, you give out that amount of energy and the spring is ready to give it back when you release the forces. Energy is conserved. However, when you substitute F by kx, the equation becomes kx = -1/2 kx2, a negative potential energy.
shawn
Good day! I am a beginner in Finite Element Analysis and Structural Mechanics. I have problem in understanding the insight of potential energy approach to derive spring element equations.

I have already search for similar post and I found this, and agree with the example raise.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=472249

But I still have problem in applying it to FEA spring element.

In the text, total potential energy is defined as the sum of the internal strain energy U and potential energy of the external forces Ω.

I.e. ∏p = U + Ω

U = 1/2 kx2, this make perfect sense. When we press/pull the spring to x, we give out that amount of energy and the spring is ready to give it back when we release the forces. Energy is conserved.

but then I have a difficulties in understanding Ω , I quote the original text:
"The potential energy of the externl force, being opposite in sign from the external work expression because the potential energy of the external force is lost when the work is done by external force, is given by Ω = -Fx"

My questions are:

1. isn't Ω = - ∑ δF δx ? which is also equal to U?

2.If we substitube F by kx , ∏p = 1/2 kx2 - kx2 = -1/2 kx2, a negative potentia energy? I am very confuse here.

I hope somebody can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The position where there is zero potential energy is arbitrary. It doesn't matter if you end up with a negative number. You could start by writing ∏p = U + Ω + C, where C is an arbitrary constant.

Substituting F = kx is confusing, because F is a constant, but x is a variable. You really want to leave the PE as
∏ = 1/2 kx2 - Fx ( + C) which is true for any value of x, not just at equilibrium.

The condition for equilibrium is that ∂∏\∂x = 0, which gets rid of the arbitary constant C and gives you the equation you would expect, i.e. kx = F.

Don't confuse "the potential energy of the force F", which is -Fx, and "the amount of work done to compress the spring by a distance x", which is Fx/2, because the force needed to compress the spring varies from 0 up to F as you compress it.

Also, the potential energy of the spring is really 1/2 k(x1 - x2)2 where x1 and x2 are the displacements of each end.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
The position where there is zero potential energy is arbitrary. It doesn't matter if you end up with a negative number. You could start by writing ∏p = U + Ω + C, where C is an arbitrary constant.

Substituting F = kx is confusing, because F is a constant, but x is a variable. You really want to leave the PE as
∏ = 1/2 kx2 - Fx ( + C) which is true for any value of x, not just at equilibrium.

The condition for equilibrium is that ∂∏\∂x = 0, which gets rid of the arbitary constant C and gives you the equation you would expect, i.e. kx = F.

Don't confuse "the potential energy of the force F", which is -Fx, and "the amount of work done to compress the spring by a distance x", which is Fx/2, because the force needed to compress the spring varies from 0 up to F as you compress it.

Also, the potential energy of the spring is really 1/2 k(x1 - x2)2 where x1 and x2 are the displacements of each end.

Hi Aleph, thanks for the explanation.

Do you mean that we should consider the sping and external force (invisible hand) as a system?

i.e. total potential energy is spring potential energy + invisible hand potential energy?

And how should I see the potential energy of the force F, it looks like W = Fs though. What physical insight it gives?

1. What is the potential energy approach used for in deriving spring element equations?

The potential energy approach is used to analyze the behavior of a spring element by considering the potential energy stored in the element due to its deformation.

2. How is the potential energy of a spring element calculated using this approach?

The potential energy of a spring element can be calculated by integrating the strain energy density over the volume of the element, taking into account the material properties and deformation of the element.

3. What are the advantages of using the potential energy approach in deriving spring element equations?

One advantage is that it provides a more intuitive understanding of the behavior of the spring element, as it relates to the energy stored in the element. It also allows for easy incorporation of different loading conditions and material properties.

4. Are there any limitations to using the potential energy approach for deriving spring element equations?

One limitation is that it assumes linear elastic behavior of the material, which may not always hold true in real-world situations. It also does not account for any damping effects or non-linear behavior of the element.

5. How is the potential energy approach applied in practical engineering applications?

The potential energy approach is commonly used in finite element analysis to model and analyze the behavior of spring elements in various structural and mechanical systems. It is also used in the design and optimization of these systems to ensure structural integrity and efficiency.