1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential energy between two oppositely charged ions in a crystal

1. Aug 12, 2009 #1
    Hi, I am having trouble with the following:

attachment.php?attachmentid=20081&stc=1&d=1250100045.jpg

All I have really done is differentiate the function to give an expression for F(r), but I am a bit clueless about the rest. How can there be equilibrium if the two ions are attracted to each other?

Cheers,
    GeoffreyThelm

Attached Files:

• U.jpg
      U.jpg
      File size:
      44.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your potential has two terms, are they both attractive?

4. Aug 12, 2009 #3
    I see.. So one (the first term?) is due to the attractive force from one ion, and vice versa for the other? So c is gonna end up being something which looks like electric potential should. So is the point of equilibrium the point between the ions where the first term= the second term?

5. Aug 12, 2009 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The point of equilibrium is where the sum of the forces is zero. When you have a potential, it is where dU/dx = 0, i.e. where the potential has an extremum (maximum or minimum). In this case it had better be a minimum. Consider plotting this potential to see what it looks like.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook