Potential Energy Problem -- GPE of a person at 5334m above sea level

In summary: The exception is that in a more cosmological context it is common to take zero potential energy as the "at infinity" case.
Leah12
1. With an elevation of 5334 m above sea level, the village of Aucanquilca, Chile, is the highest inhabited town in the world.

What would be the gravitational potential energy associated with a 64.0 kg person in Aucanquilca? Assume that the free-fall acceleration at Aucanquilca is equal to that at sea level.

I know the formula is m x g x h so it would be 64.0 x 9.8 x 5334 I think

When you put those numbers into a calculator you get 3345484.8

Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Leah12 said:
1. With an elevation of 5334 m above sea level, the village of Aucanquilca, Chile, is the highest inhabited town in the world.

What would be the gravitational potential energy associated with a 64.0 kg person in Aucanquilca? Assume that the free-fall acceleration at Aucanquilca is equal to that at sea level.

I know the formula is m x g x h so it would be 64.0 x 9.8 x 5334 I think

When you put those numbers into a calculator you get 3345484.8

Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

That would be 3345484.8 bananas, then?

Likes RedDelicious and berkeman
PeroK said:
That would be 3345484.8 bananas, then?
Joules

Likes PeroK
Leah12 said:
Joules

Did you think this was a silly question?

PeroK said:
Did you think this was a silly question?

I wasn't trying to be silly I just wanted to check my work because it was a big number so I'm not sure if it is correct or not.

Leah12 said:
I wasn't trying to be silly I just wanted to check my work because it was a big number so I'm not sure if it is correct or not.

I meant that I don't like those sort of questions. Note that PE is always relative to some specified point, which isn't specified in this case.

Likes haruspex
PeroK said:
I meant that I don't like those sort of questions. Note that PE is always relative to some specified point, which isn't specified in this case.
The exception is that in a more cosmological context it is common to take zero potential energy as the "at infinity" case. In that view the GPE at the village would be a huge negative number of Joules!

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is a type of energy that an object possesses due to its position or condition. It is the energy that is stored in an object and has the potential to be converted into other forms of energy.

What is the GPE of a person at 5334m above sea level?

The GPE, or gravitational potential energy, of a person at 5334m above sea level is the energy that they possess due to their position in the Earth's gravitational field. It is calculated by multiplying the person's mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the height above sea level (5334m).

How does the GPE of a person change as they descend from 5334m above sea level?

As the person descends from 5334m above sea level, their GPE decreases because their height above sea level decreases. This means that their potential to do work also decreases.

What are some real-life examples of potential energy?

Potential energy can be found in various forms in our daily lives. For example, a stretched rubber band has potential energy due to its stretched position, a book on a shelf has potential energy due to its position above the ground, and a roller coaster at the top of a hill has potential energy due to its height above the ground.

Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, a roller coaster at the top of a hill has potential energy, which is then converted into kinetic energy as it moves down the hill. Similarly, a stretched rubber band has potential energy, which is converted into kinetic energy when it is released.