1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Colliding Binary Star (GPE Problem)

1. Feb 15, 2013 #1
    I was looking over my old physics course problems, and I can't figure out how I'm doing this one wrong.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two identical stars, each having mass and radius M=2*10^29 kg and R = 7 *10^8 m are initially at rest in outer space. Their initial separation (between centers) is the same as the distance between our sun and the earth, D = 1.5*10^11 m. Their gravitational interaction causes the stars to be pulled toward one another. Find the speed of the stars just before they collide, i.e. when their centers are a distance 2R apart.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]GPE = \frac{- G m_1 m_2}{r}[/itex]
    [itex] KE = \frac{m v^2}{2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried just doing conservation of energy, i.e.

[itex]GPE + GPE = GPE + GPE + KE + KE[/itex], or more explicitly:
    [itex]\frac{-G M^2}{D} + \frac{-G M^2}{D} = \frac{-G M^2}{2R} + \frac{-G M^2}{2R} + \frac{1}{2} M v^2 + \frac{1}{2} M v^2[/itex]

However solving this does NOT get the right answer, which is 9.7*10^4 m/s.

Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong? I can't find the flaw in my logic... Does it have to do with where I'm setting zero potential energy? I tried accounting for this by doing the problem another way:
    [itex] \Delta GPE = \Delta KE [/itex]
    But that seems to be equivalent to what I did above.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are overcounting the potential energy. The gravitational potential energy of two masses of mass m separated by a distance r is -G*m*m/r. It's not twice that. You are counting the same thing twice.

4. Feb 15, 2013 #3
    *facepalm*. Thank you! I feel very silly now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook