Colliding Binary Star (GPE Problem)

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving the gravitational interaction between two identical stars. The task is to find the speed of the stars just before they collide, when their centers are a distance 2R apart. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations for gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy, but the error is found to be overcounting the potential energy.
macaholic
I was looking over my old physics course problems, and I can't figure out how I'm doing this one wrong.

Homework Statement

Two identical stars, each having mass and radius M=2*10^29 kg and R = 7 *10^8 m are initially at rest in outer space. Their initial separation (between centers) is the same as the distance between our sun and the earth, D = 1.5*10^11 m. Their gravitational interaction causes the stars to be pulled toward one another. Find the speed of the stars just before they collide, i.e. when their centers are a distance 2R apart.

Homework Equations

[itex]GPE = \frac{- G m_1 m_2}{r}[/itex]
[itex] KE = \frac{m v^2}{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried just doing conservation of energy, i.e.

[itex]GPE + GPE = GPE + GPE + KE + KE[/itex], or more explicitly:
[itex]\frac{-G M^2}{D} + \frac{-G M^2}{D} = \frac{-G M^2}{2R} + \frac{-G M^2}{2R} + \frac{1}{2} M v^2 + \frac{1}{2} M v^2[/itex]

However solving this does NOT get the right answer, which is 9.7*10^4 m/s.

Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong? I can't find the flaw in my logic... Does it have to do with where I'm setting zero potential energy? I tried accounting for this by doing the problem another way:
[itex] \Delta GPE = \Delta KE [/itex]
But that seems to be equivalent to what I did above.

Physics news on Phys.org
macaholic said:
I was looking over my old physics course problems, and I can't figure out how I'm doing this one wrong.

Homework Statement

Two identical stars, each having mass and radius M=2*10^29 kg and R = 7 *10^8 m are initially at rest in outer space. Their initial separation (between centers) is the same as the distance between our sun and the earth, D = 1.5*10^11 m. Their gravitational interaction causes the stars to be pulled toward one another. Find the speed of the stars just before they collide, i.e. when their centers are a distance 2R apart.

Homework Equations

[itex]GPE = \frac{- G m_1 m_2}{r}[/itex]
[itex] KE = \frac{m v^2}{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried just doing conservation of energy, i.e.

[itex]GPE + GPE = GPE + GPE + KE + KE[/itex], or more explicitly:
[itex]\frac{-G M^2}{D} + \frac{-G M^2}{D} = \frac{-G M^2}{2R} + \frac{-G M^2}{2R} + \frac{1}{2} M v^2 + \frac{1}{2} M v^2[/itex]

However solving this does NOT get the right answer, which is 9.7*10^4 m/s.

Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong? I can't find the flaw in my logic... Does it have to do with where I'm setting zero potential energy? I tried accounting for this by doing the problem another way:
[itex] \Delta GPE = \Delta KE [/itex]
But that seems to be equivalent to what I did above.

You are overcounting the potential energy. The gravitational potential energy of two masses of mass m separated by a distance r is -G*m*m/r. It's not twice that. You are counting the same thing twice.

*facepalm*. Thank you! I feel very silly now.

1. What is a colliding binary star?

A colliding binary star is a type of binary star system in which two stars are orbiting each other and eventually collide due to gravitational forces. This collision can result in the formation of a new, larger star or a supernova explosion.

2. What is the GPE problem in relation to colliding binary stars?

The GPE problem, or the gravitational potential energy problem, refers to the challenge of accurately calculating the potential energy between two stars in a colliding binary star system. This is a complex problem due to the constantly changing positions and masses of the stars, as well as the effects of other nearby objects.

3. How do scientists study colliding binary stars?

Scientists study colliding binary stars through a combination of observations and theoretical models. They use telescopes and other instruments to observe the behavior of these systems, and then use mathematical equations and computer simulations to analyze the data and make predictions about their behavior.

4. What is the significance of studying colliding binary stars?

Studying colliding binary stars can help scientists better understand the processes of star formation, evolution, and death. It can also provide insights into the behavior of matter under extreme conditions and contribute to our understanding of the universe as a whole.

5. Are colliding binary stars a common occurrence?

Colliding binary stars are relatively rare events, but they are more common in certain types of stellar systems such as globular clusters. They also play a crucial role in the formation of certain types of stars, such as blue stragglers, which are thought to be formed from the collision and merger of two stars in a binary system.