Potential Energy, Springs, and Friction

In summary: That force, applied to the mass, gives rise to an acceleration up the plane, whose magnitude is a = kx/m.In summary, the extension of the spring at the instant the block begins to move can be found by setting the sum of forces in the horizontal direction equal to zero, yielding a critical value of x. The sign of the force on the mass from the spring depends on the chosen coordinate system, but in this case, it is positive with magnitude kx and results in an acceleration up the inclined plane equal to kx/m.
cowmoo32

Homework Statement

A block of mass m rests on a plane inclined at an angle θ with the horizontal. A spring with force constant k is attached to the block. The coefficient of static friction between the block and plane is μs. The spring is pulled upward along the plane very slowly.

What is the extension of the spring the instant the block begins to move. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g.)

7-figure-51.gif

Homework Equations

F = ma
F = -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I can sum up forces in X and Y, with X being in the direction of the plane, and solve for x, but it's coming back as incorrect. I tried reversing the signs in case I missed a negative as well. The only other option I can see is summing the forces in the X direction equal to zero which would remove the ma term, but the system could be in equilibrium for any value of X and the block still not move. My thoughts are that setting Fx=ma finds x the instant it moves. I only have one submission left so I wanted to check before I go any farther.

ƩFy=FN-mgcos(θ)=0

FN=mgcos(θ)ƩFx=-FNμs-mgsin(θ)+kx=ma

Substitute FN
-mgcos(θ)μs-mgsin(θ)+kx=ma

Solving for x
(-mgcos(θ)μs-mgsin(θ)-ma)/k=x

Physics news on Phys.org
At the instant the block begins to move, the spring force pulling up the incline has *only just barely* exceeded the weight and the static frictional force that are pulling down the incline. So you can set sum of the forces = 0 in the horizontal direction to get the critical value of x above which the thing will begin moving.

In other words, do ƩFx = 0, NOT ƩFx = ma, because what the heck would you use for the value of a?

Gotcha, thanks. And just to be clear, is the spring -kx or kx since it's in the positive x direction? Negatives kill me.

Edit: Never mind. If I make it negative, I get a negative value for x, which makes no sense given my origin.

Last edited:
cowmoo32 said:
Gotcha, thanks. And just to be clear, is the spring -kx or kx since it's in the positive x direction? Negatives kill me

The - sign in F = -kx refers to the fact that the force always opposes the spring displacement. Stretch the spring, and the force tries to compress it back. Compress the spring, and the force tries to stretch it.

However, in this case, you've chosen a coordinate system in which the positive x-direction is "up the plane". So, since the spring is being stretched, the restoring force wants to compress it again, which corresponds to pulling the mass *up the plane.* Hence, the force *on the mass* is positive, with magnitude kx.

x=(-mgcos(θ)μs-mgsin(θ)-ma)/k

This solution seems correct. However, it is important to note that this equation only gives the extension of the spring at the instant the block begins to move. To find the extension at any other point during the motion, you would need to also take into account the acceleration of the block and the changing forces acting on it. Additionally, the direction of the spring force should also be considered, as it may change direction as the block moves. Overall, this is a good start to solving the problem, but further analysis may be needed to fully understand the behavior of the block and spring system.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is a type of energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, when the object is in motion.

2. How do springs store potential energy?

Springs store potential energy by deforming or stretching when a force is applied to them. This potential energy is then released when the force is removed, causing the spring to return to its original shape.

3. What factors affect the amount of potential energy stored in a spring?

The amount of potential energy stored in a spring is affected by its spring constant, the amount of stretch or compression, and the force applied to it. The greater the spring constant and the amount of stretch or compression, the more potential energy is stored. Similarly, the greater the force applied, the more potential energy is stored.

4. How does friction affect potential energy?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it can decrease the potential energy of an object. For example, if a ball is rolling down a hill, friction between the ball and the ground will convert some of its potential energy into heat and sound energy, causing it to slow down.

5. Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, thermal energy, and sound energy. This conversion usually occurs when an object changes position or its shape is altered due to an external force.