Potential near the center of a charged hollow sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in Nayfeh and Brussel's Electricity and Magnetism involving calculating the potential near the center of a charged hollow sphere using the near-field expansion given by equation 2.62. The first term is proportional to the charge, the second integral vanishes by symmetry, and the third integral is expected to vanish but leads to a dependence on the angle theta. The question is whether the integration was done incorrectly, if equation 2.62 is wrong or not applicable, or if the reasoning is wrong. The error is identified as using a two-dimensional diagram for a three-dimensional problem.
Gene Naden
I worked problem 2.28 of Nayfeh and Brussel's Electricity and Magnetism. The problem asks for the potential near the center of a charged hollow sphere, based on the near-field expansion given by equation 2.62, which is:
##\Phi=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}[\frac{dq}{r^\prime}+ \vec r \cdot \int \frac{\vec r^\prime}{{r^\prime}^3} dq + \frac{1}{2} \int (\frac {3 (\vec r \cdot \vec r^\prime)^2}{r^{\prime^5}}-\frac{r^2}{r^{\prime 2}})dq]##

For the first term I get something proportional to the charge. The second integral vanishes by symmetry. I expect the third integral to also vanish. The solutions manual says that it does vanish. But when I do the integration I get a dependence on ##\theta##, the angle from the z axis in polar coordinates. I get:
##\frac{\sigma R}{\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{4}R^{-2} r^2(1-rcos(2\theta))##

where ##\vec r## is the vector to the point where the potential is calculated.

This seems physically wrong since by symmetry the potential should not depend on ##\theta##. My question is, did I do the integral wrong, or is equation 2.62 wrong/inapplicable, or is my reasoning wrong?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to tell where you went wrong if you don't show your work.

Yes I see your point. I see my error. I used a two dimensional diagram for a three dimensional problem.

What is the potential near the center of a charged hollow sphere?

The potential near the center of a charged hollow sphere is given by the formula V = kQ/R, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and R is the distance from the center of the sphere. This potential is independent of the location within the sphere.

How does the potential near the center of a charged hollow sphere change with distance?

The potential near the center of a charged hollow sphere decreases linearly with distance. As the distance from the center increases, the potential decreases proportionally.

What happens to the potential near the center of a charged hollow sphere if the charge or radius changes?

If the charge of the sphere is increased, the potential near the center will also increase. Similarly, if the radius of the sphere is increased, the potential near the center will decrease.

Can the potential near the center of a charged hollow sphere ever be negative?

No, the potential near the center of a charged hollow sphere cannot be negative. This is because the potential is always defined as a positive value, and the charge of the sphere will always be positive.

Is the potential near the center of a charged hollow sphere affected by the presence of other charges?

Yes, the potential near the center of a charged hollow sphere will be affected by the presence of other charges. This is because the potential at any point is a result of the combined effects of all the charges in the system.