Potential near the center of a charged hollow sphere

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Gene Naden
Messages
320
Reaction score
64
I worked problem 2.28 of Nayfeh and Brussel's Electricity and Magnetism. The problem asks for the potential near the center of a charged hollow sphere, based on the near-field expansion given by equation 2.62, which is:
##\Phi=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}[\frac{dq}{r^\prime}+ \vec r \cdot \int \frac{\vec r^\prime}{{r^\prime}^3} dq + \frac{1}{2} \int (\frac {3 (\vec r \cdot \vec r^\prime)^2}{r^{\prime^5}}-\frac{r^2}{r^{\prime 2}})dq]##

For the first term I get something proportional to the charge. The second integral vanishes by symmetry. I expect the third integral to also vanish. The solutions manual says that it does vanish. But when I do the integration I get a dependence on ##\theta##, the angle from the z axis in polar coordinates. I get:
##\frac{\sigma R}{\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{4}R^{-2} r^2(1-rcos(2\theta))##

where ##\vec r## is the vector to the point where the potential is calculated.

This seems physically wrong since by symmetry the potential should not depend on ##\theta##. My question is, did I do the integral wrong, or is equation 2.62 wrong/inapplicable, or is my reasoning wrong?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to tell where you went wrong if you don't show your work.
 
Yes I see your point. I see my error. I used a two dimensional diagram for a three dimensional problem.