Potential of the point in the origin

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential at the origin with a charged line on the x-axis and a reference point at infinity. Two methods for finding the potential are mentioned, but integrating along the line from -a to a results in a potentially undefined integral. The concept of r is also brought up, but ultimately the assignment is deemed impossible as the potential at the origin is infinity.
cdummie

Homework Statement

Find the potential of the point in the origin in regard to referring point at infinity if there's charged line laying on x-axis as shown in the picture.

Screenshot_1.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know two ways to find a potential:

V=∫dV and V=∫E*dl

using first formula i have dv=dQ/4πε0r and i have Q=Q'dl but i don't know how to integrate that, i mean i have dl and i don't know what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrate along the line from -a to a?

I don't think the potential is well-defined, however.

mfb said:
Integrate along the line from -a to a?

I don't think the potential is well-defined, however.

When i integrate from -a to a i get V=∫dQ/4πε0r=Q'/4πε0∫dl since ∫dl=2a i get V=Q'2a/4πε0r but this seems way to easy, so I am not sure is it correct.
I don't know what you mean, i have to find the potential at point B(0,0) and referring point is at infinity. That is how it's defined.

Setting up the integral is easy.
cdummie said:
I don't know what you mean, i have to find the potential at point B(0,0) and referring point is at infinity. That is how it's defined.
Yes, but you cannot do this if the integral diverges.

Likes cdummie
cdummie said:
When i integrate from -a to a i get V=∫dQ/4πε0r=Q'/4πε0∫dl since ∫dl=2a i get V=Q'2a/4πε0r but this seems way to easy, so I am not sure is it correct.
what is r?
I don't know what you mean, i have to find the potential at point B(0,0) and referring point is at infinity. That is how it's defined.[/QUOTE]
what mfb means is the potential at the origin is infinity. You have been given an impossible assignment!

Last edited:
Likes cdummie

What is the potential of a point in the origin?

The potential of a point in the origin refers to the amount of energy that a charged particle would possess if it were placed at the origin in an electric field.

How is the potential of a point in the origin calculated?

The potential of a point in the origin is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge of the particle.

Does the potential of a point in the origin depend on the charge of the particle?

Yes, the potential of a point in the origin is directly proportional to the charge of the particle. This means that a particle with a higher charge will have a higher potential at the origin.

What is the significance of the potential of a point in the origin?

The potential of a point in the origin is an important concept in understanding electric fields and their effect on charged particles. It helps us determine the direction and strength of the electric field at any given point.

Can the potential of a point in the origin be negative?

Yes, the potential of a point in the origin can be negative. This occurs when the electric field is directed towards the origin, causing a decrease in the potential energy of the charged particle.