1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of the point in the origin

1. Jun 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the potential of the point in the origin in regard to referring point at infinity if there's charged line laying on x axis as shown in the picture.

Screenshot_1.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know two ways to find a potential:

V=∫dV and V=∫E*dl

using first formula i have dv=dQ/4πε0r and i have Q=Q'dl but i don't know how to integrate that, i mean i have dl and i dont know what to do next.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Integrate along the line from -a to a?

I don't think the potential is well-defined, however.

4. Jun 17, 2015 #3
    When i integrate from -a to a i get V=∫dQ/4πε0r=Q'/4πε0∫dl since ∫dl=2a i get V=Q'2a/4πε0r but this seems way to easy, so im not sure is it correct.
    I don't know what you mean, i have to find the potential at point B(0,0) and referring point is at infinity. That is how it's defined.

5. Jun 17, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Setting up the integral is easy.
    Yes, but you cannot do this if the integral diverges.

6. Jun 17, 2015 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

what is r?
    I don't know what you mean, i have to find the potential at point B(0,0) and referring point is at infinity. That is how it's defined.[/QUOTE]
    what mfb means is the potential at the origin is infinity. You have been given an impossible assignment!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted