1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Potential Related to Electric Field?

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    A manufacturer claims that a carpet will not generate more than 4.9kV of static electricity. What magnitude of charge would have to be transferred between a carpet and a shoe for there to be a 4.9kV potential difference between the shoe and the carpet. Approximate the shoe and the carpet as large sheets of charge separated by a distance d = 1.0mm. Area is not given in the question. Could someone please explain how to do this question in detail? Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2
    Q=CV. What's the capacitance of the shoe?

4. Jul 20, 2010 #3
    There is no area of the shoe given. Apparently, someone has told me that I can solve it in terms of σ, the charge per unit area, not the total charge.

5. Jul 20, 2010 #4
    And there is no capaicitance given either.

6. Jul 21, 2010 #5
    Why 4.9kV - sounds oddly precise.

The only thing I can suggest is that you need to at least estimate the size of a shoe, then treat it as a simple parallel plate capacitor.
    Then C = 8.854×10−12* A/d

Each plate area A - say .1 * .05 gives C= 4.4 x 10-11.

Sounds about right - 40 to 50pF

So Q = 4900 * 50pF = 25 x 10-8 Coulombs.

You want electrons with that?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook