Potentiometer circuit for comparison of two resistances

In summary: The problem now becomes solvable. We can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to find the voltage across R and X. Then use Ohm's Law to find the current through R and X. When we switch the switch on, the current through R and X will be equal.
Prashasti
Question :
Figure shows a potentiometer circuit for comparison of two resistances. The balance point with a standard resistor R = 10.0 Ω is found to be 58.3 cm, while that with the unknown resistance X is 68.5 cm. Determine the value of X.

Isn't the question wrong?

I've searched for it everywhere, but didn't get the correct solution.
i[/COLOR]R/iX = l1/l2
So, R/X = l1/l2

How can the current passing through X be equal to that passing through R?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your link doesn't take me to a circuit image, but rather to a general home page for the site. The site probably requires a login in order to proceed to the materials. You might want to cut the image out or redraw it and upload it here instead.

Even without seeing the circuit in question I can tell that this problem will be more suitable in the Introductory Physics forum, so I am moving it there.

Okay, I grabbed a "snippy" of the image to take a look at the circuit. I don't see how the circuit can function as a bridge since one leg of the Galvanometer appears to have a fixed potential w.r.t. node A set by cell ε regardless of the values of resistors R and X. Also, I don't recognize the components shown as facing arcs in series with the resistors. Some "local dialect" version of a capacitor? Or perhaps they are push button switches to select one or the other resistor?

attachment.php?attachmentid=73160&stc=1&d=1410786726.gif

Also, the problem statement doesn't specify the total length of the resistive wire AB, so what are we to make of the measured values? Are we to assume that the length AB is 1 meter?

Overall I'm not impressed by the quality of Question 3.23.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 3,831
If I understand the picture correctly (after another poster gave a corrected link) it looks like R and X are parallel.

Under what circumstances could the current through parallel resistors be equal? Hint: How does the voltage across R compare to the voltage across X?

What does the balance point being given in cm mean? What does a potentiometer look like? Hint: Google images for "linear potentiometer."

They are keys. And the length of the wire is 1 metre. They aren't connected in parallel. We have to calculate the resistance of R and X using the device. When we switch the upper key on, we get a balance point at 58.3 cm and when we switch the lower key on, we get the balance point at 68.5 cm.
Sorry for that wrong link,

Prashasti said:
They are keys. And the length of the wire is 1 metre. They aren't connected in parallel. We have to calculate the resistance of R and X using the device. When we switch the upper key on, we get a balance point at 58.3 cm and when we switch the lower key on, we get the balance point at 68.5 cm.
Sorry for that wrong link,

So the "keys" are switches. Fine. But I don't see how the circuit can function as desired. The voltage source ε places a fixed potential at the lower end of galvanometer G (with respect to node A) regardless of which resistor is switched into the circuit.

Q3.24 on that site is illuminating, and suggests that Q3.23 should not be taken in isolation.

Q3.24 speaks of the internal resistance of the ε volts cell, and so it seems this should feature on the circuit at the centre of this thread!

All clear now! [PLAIN]http://imageshack.com/a/img29/6853/xn4n.gif [PLAIN]http://imageshack.com/a/img29/6853/xn4n.gif

Likes Prashasti
NascentOxygen said:
Q3.24 on that site is illuminating, and suggests that Q3.23 should not be taken in isolation.

Q3.24 speaks of the internal resistance of the ε volts cell, and so it seems this should feature on the circuit at the centre of this thread!

All clear now! [PLAIN]http://imageshack.com/a/img29/6853/xn4n.gif [PLAIN]http://imageshack.com/a/img29/6853/xn4n.gif

Yes, well, I applaud your tenacity and extra effort :approve:
Given this new information the problem becomes solvable.

Here's a new depiction of the circuit. I've replaced the "keys" with an SPDT switch to make the selection operation clear, and made visible the internal resistance of the cell ε. We should wait for the OP to comment, see if he can offer an attempt at a solution.

attachment.php?attachmentid=73270&stc=1&d=1411042571.gif

Attachments

• Fig2.gif
    Fig2.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 3,513
Likes Prashasti
I am also interested in this problem. So when the balance point is reached for ##R = 10 \;\Omega##, I think there is no current flowing through the galvanometer. But can there be current through ##\varepsilon##, ##R## and ##r## ?

IssacNewton said:
But can there be current through εε\varepsilon, RRR and rrr ?
There is a current flowing through r, R and E. The circuit is closed.

Thanks cnh. Now let ##i_1## be the current through ##R## when the galvanometer is balanced. So the potential drop across ##R## would be ##\frac{\varepsilon R}{R+r}##. Now when ##X## is connected instead of ##R##, the potential drop across ##X## would ##\frac{\varepsilon X}{X+r}## These two potentials are related to the respective balance points
$$\frac{\varepsilon R}{R+r} = k(58.3)$$
$$\frac{\varepsilon X}{X+r} = k (68.5)$$
where ##k## is the proportionality constant between the resistance and the length. Now dividing one equation by the other, we get
$$\left(\frac{\varepsilon R}{R+r} \right) \left( \frac{X+r}{\varepsilon X} \right) = \frac{58.3}{68.5} $$
which leads to
$$\left(\frac{R}{R+r} \right) \left( \frac{X+r}{X} \right) = \frac{58.3}{68.5} $$
Now here both ##X## and ##r## are unknown. So how can we solve for ##X## ?

IssacNewton said:
So how can we solve for XXX ?
Given the circuit in #9, I believe we can't.
We can solve for X only I) if the ideal battery voltage VAB is known
OR
II) if we are allowed to use one more known resistance.

In I), we would first need to find the emf of the lower cell (by discarding the switch-resistance arrangement and finding null point) and then we can find the internal resistance of the same cell using known resistance . Once you know ε and r, you can solve for X given its balancing length. (Sounds very tedious!).

In II)You can set up two equations with two known resistances and find r. Then use the last equation in #12 to find X.

As it stands, no additional information is given so this problem can not be solved. This is a problem from NCERT Physics book. Lot of problems in that book have confusing language. I doubt if authors themselves know the basic physics.

1. How does a potentiometer circuit work?

A potentiometer circuit consists of a variable resistor, called a potentiometer, and a fixed resistor. The potentiometer has three terminals, with the middle terminal connected to a sliding contact that can be moved to change the resistance. By adjusting the position of the sliding contact, the resistance between the middle terminal and the other two terminals can be varied. This allows for the comparison of two resistances in the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of using a potentiometer circuit for comparing resistances?

A potentiometer circuit is used for comparing resistances because it allows for precise and accurate measurements. By adjusting the sliding contact, the resistance of the potentiometer can be matched to the resistance being measured, making it easier to determine the difference between the two resistances. This is particularly useful in laboratory experiments and electronic circuits where precise resistance values are needed.

3. How do you calculate the unknown resistance using a potentiometer circuit?

To calculate the unknown resistance, we use the formula R1 = (Rp x L) / (L - d), where R1 is the unknown resistance, Rp is the resistance of the potentiometer, L is the total length of the potentiometer, and d is the distance between the sliding contact and one of the outer terminals. By adjusting the sliding contact until the galvanometer shows zero deflection, we can determine the value of d and use it in the formula to calculate the unknown resistance.

4. Can a potentiometer circuit be used to compare more than two resistances?

Yes, a potentiometer circuit can be used to compare multiple resistances. By connecting the resistances in series or parallel, they can be compared to the resistance of the potentiometer. The sliding contact can then be adjusted to match the resistance of each component, allowing for accurate comparisons between multiple resistances.

5. What are some common applications of potentiometer circuits?

Potentiometer circuits have a wide range of applications, including in electronic circuits, laboratory experiments, and industrial settings. They are commonly used for resistance measurements, voltage division, and as variable resistors in electronic circuits. They are also used in potentiometric sensors, which use the change in resistance to measure physical quantities such as temperature, pressure, and strain.