Find resistance, inductance, and the time constant for an RL circuit.

In summary, by analyzing the data table, we can determine that the time constant (τ) of the RL circuit is 2 μs, the resistance (R) is 500 Ω, and the inductance (L) is 1 mH. This can be found by using the formula I = V/R and the relationship between two data points.
rail2k

Homework Statement

A 5.0V battery is attached to an RL circuit. The current is given by the formula: I = V0/R(1-e-t/τ), where I0 is the steady-state current, and τ is the time constant for the circuit.

Using the data table provided, determine τ, R, and L for this circuit.

Code:
 I(mA) | t(μs)
---------------
   0   |   0
 3.94  |   1
 6.32  |   2
 7.77  |   3
 8.65  |   4
 9.18  |   5
 9.50  |   6
  ...  |  ...
 10.0  |   ∞

Homework Equations

I = V/R
τ = L/R
εL = -ε0e-Rt/L
I = ε0/R(1-e-Rt/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started by concluding that ε0 = V0 = 5 V and I0 = 10 mA.

Using that I determined that R = V0/I0 = 5/0.01 = 500 Ω which gives me resistance.

I know that once I find τ or L I can easily find the other one, but I can't figure out how to find either of them. At first I thought I could simply work I = V0/R(1-e-t/τ) algebraically to give me τ, but I end up getting undefined from using the natural log with a negative number.

I feel like I have to use the data to find one of them (probably τ?) by using the relationship between two of the data points but I'm sort of stuck at this point.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When t = 1 time constant, what is the current?
Then, what is the time constant?
Then, expess the time constant in terms of L and R.

Ah, so when t = τ, I = 5/500(1-e-1) ≈ 6.32 mA.

So τ = 2 μs from the data and therefore L = 500*0.000002 = 1 mH.

That seems correct, right?

rail2k said:
Ah, so when t = τ, I = 5/500(1-e-1) ≈ 6.32 mA.

So τ = 2 μs from the data and therefore L = 500*0.000002 = 1 mH.

That seems correct, right?

It does to me! :smile:
Good going.

Thanks a lot! Can't believe the answer was so close, lol.

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and an inductor (L). It is used to study the behavior of inductors and how they affect the flow of current in a circuit.

2. How do you find the resistance in an RL circuit?

The resistance in an RL circuit can be found by using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I): R = V/I. This can be applied to the overall circuit or to individual components within the circuit.

3. What is inductance and how is it calculated in an RL circuit?

Inductance (L) is a measure of an inductor's ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is measured in henrys (H) and can be calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the rate of change of current (di/dt) in the circuit: L = V/(di/dt).

4. What is the time constant of an RL circuit?

The time constant (𝛕) of an RL circuit is a measure of how quickly the current in the circuit reaches its steady-state value. It is calculated by dividing the inductance (L) by the resistance (R) in the circuit: 𝛕 = L/R.

5. How can you use the time constant to analyze an RL circuit?

The time constant can be used to analyze an RL circuit by determining the rate at which the current in the circuit changes over time. It can also be used to calculate the energy stored in the inductor at any given time, and to predict how long it will take for the current to reach its steady-state value.