Find resistance, inductance, and the time constant for an RL circuit.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
rail2k
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 5.0V battery is attached to an RL circuit. The current is given by the formula: I = V0/R(1-e-t/τ), where I0 is the steady-state current, and τ is the time constant for the circuit.

Using the data table provided, determine τ, R, and L for this circuit.

Code:
 I(mA) | t(μs)
---------------
   0   |   0
 3.94  |   1
 6.32  |   2
 7.77  |   3
 8.65  |   4
 9.18  |   5
 9.50  |   6
  ...  |  ...
 10.0  |   ∞

Homework Equations



I = V/R
τ = L/R
εL = -ε0e-Rt/L
I = ε0/R(1-e-Rt/L)

The Attempt at a Solution



So I started by concluding that ε0 = V0 = 5 V and I0 = 10 mA.

Using that I determined that R = V0/I0 = 5/0.01 = 500 Ω which gives me resistance.

I know that once I find τ or L I can easily find the other one, but I can't figure out how to find either of them. At first I thought I could simply work I = V0/R(1-e-t/τ) algebraically to give me τ, but I end up getting undefined from using the natural log with a negative number.

I feel like I have to use the data to find one of them (probably τ?) by using the relationship between two of the data points but I'm sort of stuck at this point.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When t = 1 time constant, what is the current?
Then, what is the time constant?
Then, expess the time constant in terms of L and R.
 
Ah, so when t = τ, I = 5/500(1-e-1) ≈ 6.32 mA.

So τ = 2 μs from the data and therefore L = 500*0.000002 = 1 mH.

That seems correct, right?
 
rail2k said:
Ah, so when t = τ, I = 5/500(1-e-1) ≈ 6.32 mA.

So τ = 2 μs from the data and therefore L = 500*0.000002 = 1 mH.

That seems correct, right?

It does to me! :smile:
Good going.
 
Thanks a lot! Can't believe the answer was so close, lol.