1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pound Force / Pound Mass Question

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    Also an answer to this question would be great:
    "It takes 32.174 pounds force (lbf) to accelerate one pound mass (lbm) one foot per second per second (ft/s^2)

Correct?"

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is not correct. The Imperial/British/USA system of measure, whatever you call it, is confusing. A one pound-mass weighs 1 pound on Planet Earth. It is very confusing in Physics to use the pound-mass term. Instead, always use the 'slug' for mass if using this system. 1 slug weighs about 32 pounds on planet earth. One pound of force will accelerate 1 slug at the rate of 1ft/sec^2. I leave it to you to determine how many pounds of force will accelerate a one pound-mass at 1ft/sec^2, if you dare (it's a lot less than 32 pounds force to do so).

4. Sep 5, 2010 #3
    Goodness... ok.
    I only use pound force and pound mass because my professor uses them.

Thanks!

5. Sep 5, 2010 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's unfortunate in my estimation. When using, for example, F=ma, if you want F in pounds of force and 'a' in ft/sec^2, you'd better be using slugs for the mass unit, or you'll get all messed up.

6. Sep 5, 2010 #5
    I agree. I can understand slugs well because I can relate them to kgs... but throwing lbm into the mix is just overkill.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook