Power and Intensity of Radio Waves

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 20K views
y_chen
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An AM radio station broadcasts with a power of 21.0 kW at a frequency of 910 kHz. Estimate the intensity of the radio wave at a point 18.0 km from the broadcast antenna.

Homework Equations



I= p/A I1/I2=r2^2/r1^2 w=2pi f

The Attempt at a Solution



From the given frequency, we can find omega (w). However, I am stuck on where to proceed afterwards. How would you find A? Thanks so much for helping.

<< spam links deleted by berkeman >>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot quite decode the relevant equation. Maybe its a fonts thing.
I= p/A I1/I2=r2^2/r1^2 w=2pi f
w (omega) = 2*pi*f is just expressing frequency in radians per second instead of cycles per second.

In free space, a radio wave intensity decreases as the area of the wavefront expanding sphere increases. In Earth atmosphere, it is also frequency-dependent because of propagation and absorption losses, ground losses, and ionospheric conditions. Not that we need be concerned..because
You have a given expression for the intensity, so we dodge all that hard stuff.

I can see [tex]I =\frac{p}{A}[/tex] which makes sense. Not sure what the rest (I1/I2) is set equal to [tex]r_2^2/r_1^2[/tex] :confused:

I am unclear how [tex]\omega=2\pi f[/tex] while true, actually affects anything here.

Sorry I don't quite get it yet. Have another try about what this intensity expression is.
 
just use the the amount of power and the distance. you don't need frequency.

I = P/(4*pi*r^2)