Is u[n] - u[n-4] a power or energy signal?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
smart_worker
Messages
131
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Determine whether u[n] - u[n-4] is a power or energy signal.

Homework Equations


form.PNG


The Attempt at a Solution


img.jpg

I am stuck here. I don't know how to simply further. Please help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You could tell by inspection based on the definitions of "energy signal" and "power signal". If you want to use that formula, what can you say about the equivalence of u[n] - u[n-4] and |u[n] - u[n-4]|2 ?
 
lewando said:
You could tell by inspection based on the definitions of "energy signal" and "power signal". If you want to use that formula, what can you say about the equivalence of u[n] - u[n-4] and |u[n] - u[n-4]|2 ?

I think u[n] - u[n-4] = 1 for n=0,1,2,3 and 0 elsewhere.
So, Ex becomes 4. So, it's an Energy Signal. Am I right?
 
smart_worker said:
I think u[n] - u[n-4] = 1 for n=0,1,2,3 and 0 elsewhere.
So, Ex becomes 4.
That is exactly right.
So, it's an Energy Signal.
You might want to indicate (for others who might want to follow your logic) what is so special about "4" that leads you to classify the signal as you have. What if the result was "5"?