Power Series Change of Indices: I broke math again

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Saladsamurai
Messages
3,009
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement



I have an infinite series that looks like this:

[tex]\sum_0^\infty n(n-1)d_nx^{n-1} + \sum_0^\infty n(n-1)d_nx^n + \sum_0^\infty d_nx^n[/tex]I wish to combine all three sums so that they must all have same powers of x and start at same index. The second and third summations are fine. To change the first, I simply let [itex]j = n-1 \Rightarrow n = j+1[/itex]. So at n = 0, j = -1 and so we have[tex]\sum_{-1}^\infty j(j+1)d_{j+1}x^{j} + \sum_0^\infty j(j-1)d_jx^j + \sum_0^\infty d_jx^j[/tex]Now I might be able to answer my own question here: In the original summation that ran fromm n = 0, clearly the lowest power of 'x' that would ever appear is x0 at n = 0. However, here, at j = -1, we have an x-1, but we "lucked out" since there is a coefficient of (j+1)=0 that causes it to vanish.

I am assuming here, that it will always be the case that by changing the indices, we will produce a coefficients that cause powers of x that are not supposed to exist to vanish.

Is this correct to say?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the differential equation is nonsingular, what you say is probably correct. Note: I think this is related to your other post about the Frobenius method. When there is a singularity in the ode, you might run into [tex]x^{-a}[/tex] terms that can't be canceled by anything else if you try a power series that starts with an [tex]x^0[/tex] order term. As an alternative to the Frobenius method, you can attempt a Laurent series solution, which would include at least some powers of x to negative powers.
 
Hi fzero :smile:

That is interesting because this is a Frobenius solution. It is part of my solution to a Frobenius EQ that had roots that differ by an integer. I am now seeking y2 in the form [itex]y_2 = ky_1\ln(x) + \sum_o^\infty d_nx^n[/itex] and the summation in the OP is part of the mess the.
 
Well what happened in that first term is that the factor [tex]n\rightarrow j+1[/tex] came down when you took a derivative. So it's properly zero in the [tex]n=0[/tex] term because it was the derivative of a constant. However, if we had a term

[tex]x^{-1} \sum_{n=0} c_n x^n,[/tex]

it would take a very special coincidence to be able cancel the singular term after a shift. Because you are seeking a Frobenius solution, you're avoiding these terms by construction.