Practice problem with invertible matrices

• Thread starter myusernameis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, an invertible matrix is a square matrix that has a unique solution for its inverse and is important because it allows for easier calculation and solves many practical problems in mathematics, engineering, and science. To determine if a matrix is invertible, its determinant must be non-zero. Non-square matrices cannot be invertible because they do not have a unique solution for their inverse. The inverse of an invertible matrix can be found using the Gauss-Jordan elimination method or the adjugate matrix method. Invertible matrices have practical applications in various fields, such as solving systems of linear equations, calculating transformations, and solving differential equations.
myusernameis
Simplify: (B[tex]^{-1}[/tex]A[tex]^{T}[/tex])[tex]^{-1}[/tex]B[tex]^{-1}[/tex](ABA)[tex]^{T}[/tex]((AB)[tex]^{T}[/tex])[tex]^{-1}[/tex]

Is the answer 1?

thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep,
[tex] A^{-T}B \ \ B^{-1}\ \ A^TB^TA^T \ \ A^{-T}B^{-t} = I[/tex]

FAQ: Practice problem with invertible matrices

1. What is an invertible matrix and why is it important?

An invertible matrix, also known as a non-singular matrix, is a square matrix that has a unique solution for its inverse. This means that it can be multiplied by another matrix to give the identity matrix. It is important because it allows for easier calculation and solves many practical problems in mathematics, engineering, and science.

2. How do I determine if a matrix is invertible?

A square matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. The determinant is a numerical value that can be calculated by using the elements of the matrix. If the determinant is non-zero, then the matrix is invertible. If the determinant is zero, then the matrix is not invertible.

3. Can a non-square matrix be invertible?

No, only square matrices (i.e. matrices with the same number of rows and columns) can be invertible. Non-square matrices do not have a unique solution for its inverse and therefore cannot be inverted.

4. How do I find the inverse of an invertible matrix?

The inverse of an invertible matrix can be found by using the Gauss-Jordan elimination method or by using the adjugate matrix method. Both methods involve transforming the matrix into a simpler form and then applying mathematical operations to find the inverse.

5. What are some practical applications of invertible matrices?

Invertible matrices are used in many areas of science and mathematics, such as solving systems of linear equations, calculating transformations in geometry, and solving differential equations. They also have practical applications in computer graphics, engineering, and economics.

Back