Pre-Req and Time Commitment for E&M

• Thread starter WCL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E&m Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the decision to take E&M next quarter and the potential time commitment required for the class. The person is currently taking 4 other time-intensive classes and does not have a background in certain math courses that are typically recommended for the class. It is ultimately up to the person to decide if they can handle the workload and dedicate enough time to the class. However, it is likely that they will need to put in extra effort and time to catch up on the necessary math and familiarize themselves with the course material.
WCL
I am contemplating taking E&M next quarter, but I'm also expecting 4 other time-intensive classes, including 2 labs. I also don't have classes such as Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, or Analysis(Real/Complex). The class only requires ODEs and the introductory physics courses, but it does follow Griffiths' Electrodynamics.

I'm wondering if it'd be wise to take the class, and how much time I should expect to spend on it, both learning what the class follows, and catching up with the mathematics.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a difficult question to answer, as each person's individual situation and learning style are unique. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide if taking this class is the right decision. Consider your other commitments and obligations, and make sure that you will be able to devote enough time to all of your classes. If you are confident that you can do so, then it may be worthwhile to take the course. In terms of time commitment, it is likely that you will need to spend more time on the course than students who have taken Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Analysis courses. You will need to dedicate extra time to familiarizing yourself with the topics covered in these courses. Additionally, reading Griffiths' Electrodynamics and completing the associated homework problems will also require more time than usual. However, if you are willing to put in the extra effort, you should be able to gain a comprehensive understanding of the course material.

What are the pre-requisites for studying E&M?

The pre-requisites for studying E&M (electromagnetism) typically include a strong foundation in calculus, physics, and introductory electromagnetism courses. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of vector calculus and differential equations.

How much time should I expect to commit to studying E&M?

The amount of time required to study E&M can vary depending on the individual's learning style and prior knowledge. Generally, students can expect to spend 2-3 hours per week in class and an additional 3-4 hours per week on homework and studying.

Can I take E&M without any prior physics knowledge?

No, it is not recommended to take E&M without any prior physics knowledge. A strong foundation in introductory physics courses such as mechanics and thermodynamics is necessary to understand the concepts in E&M.

Are there any recommended resources for studying E&M?

Yes, there are many resources available for studying E&M, including textbooks, online lectures, practice problems, and study guides. It is important to find resources that align with your learning style and to consult with your instructor for recommended materials.

Is it possible to self-study E&M?

While it is possible to self-study E&M, it is not recommended as it is a complex subject that often requires guidance from an instructor. However, if you have a strong foundation in the pre-requisite courses and are highly motivated, self-studying E&M may be an option for you.