Pre-reqs for graph theoretic Hurwitz Groups

In summary, the main pre-requisite for studying graph theoretic Hurwitz groups is a strong understanding of graph theory and its various concepts such as graphs, paths, cycles, and connectivity. These groups are closely related to the concept of graphs and have several applications in different areas of mathematics. They can also be used in real-world problems and there are still many open problems and unsolved questions related to them.
aLearner
So I'm trying to understand this paper (found here: http://arxiv.org/abs/1301.3411) but my math skills are very limited.
These include:

-Groups (the very basics, like the first of Charles Pinter's book)
-Analysis (the very basics)

But what all books/papers/topics would you suggest I become familiar with so as to genuinely understand the paper?

Your help is most appreciated.
-
aLearner

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you know chapters 13-16 in Pinter very well, you will be able to make sense of a lot of that paper.

FAQ: Pre-reqs for graph theoretic Hurwitz Groups

1. What are pre-reqs for graph theoretic Hurwitz groups?

The main pre-requisite for studying graph theoretic Hurwitz groups is a strong understanding of graph theory and its various concepts such as graphs, paths, cycles, and connectivity. Additionally, a basic knowledge of abstract algebra and group theory is also necessary.

2. How does graph theory relate to Hurwitz groups?

Graph theoretic Hurwitz groups are a special type of group that is closely related to the concept of graphs. These groups are named after Adolf Hurwitz, a German mathematician, who first studied the group theory of hyperelliptic curves. The study of graphs and their properties is crucial in understanding the structure and properties of Hurwitz groups.

3. What are some applications of graph theoretic Hurwitz groups?

Graph theoretic Hurwitz groups have several applications in different areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, number theory, and cryptography. These groups are also used in the study of modular forms and elliptic curves.

4. Can graph theoretic Hurwitz groups be used in real-world problems?

Yes, graph theoretic Hurwitz groups have practical applications in various fields. For example, they are used in coding theory to construct error-correcting codes and in cryptography to create secure communication protocols.

5. Are there any open problems or unsolved questions related to graph theoretic Hurwitz groups?

Yes, there are still many open problems and unsolved questions related to graph theoretic Hurwitz groups. Some of these include finding efficient algorithms for computing group operations and determining the structure of certain types of Hurwitz groups.