Understanding Precession, Nutation, and Spin in Rotating Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of precession, nutation, and spin. The participants consider the effects of these phenomena on a spinning cylinder and the experience of a sensor placed on its base. They also question the role of time dependence in the calculations.
Bobster
Hi guys !

Im trying to get my head round precession, nutation and spin.

Suppose I have a cylinder of height L, base radius R. Initially it is just spinning about its central axis (i.e. line joining cone tip to the centre of base). In this scenario,

centripetal acceleration experienced by say an accelerometer placed on the radius of the base would be = Rω2.

However when it starts spinning and nutating with angular velocities say ωP and ωN,

am I right in thinking ω = √ω2P2N ?

And also, what would my sensor 'experience' now that it is nutating and precessing ? I am guessing it would be a Rω2 sin term but this time 'R' would be a time dependent function and not constant. What do you think ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas ?

1. What is precession?

Precession is the phenomenon where the axis of rotation of a spinning object gradually changes its direction over time. This is caused by external forces acting on the object, such as gravity or torque.

2. What is nutation?

Nutation is the small, periodic wobbling of the axis of rotation of a spinning object. It is caused by the combined effects of precession and the object's own internal forces.

3. How does precession affect the Earth's rotation?

The Earth experiences precession, which causes its axis of rotation to slowly change direction. This results in a change in the location of the North and South poles over time, and affects the length of a day and the seasons.

4. What causes spin?

Spin is caused by the angular momentum of an object, which is the product of its mass and velocity. In the case of the Earth, its spin is a result of the initial angular momentum it had during its formation.

5. How does precession and nutation affect the motion of satellites?

Precession and nutation can affect the orbit of satellites, as they can cause changes in the orientation of the Earth's axis. This can lead to small variations in the satellite's orbital plane and can affect the accuracy of its positioning and communication systems.