Precious-Opal and/vs X-Ray Diffraction

In summary: The long and short of it is that I think I've figured out how the PoC in opals is produced. Basically, the color is produced when light is transmitted through the opal and then reflected back in a different direction.
PMH
(My (old) background is math & computer science. I've long loved (mostly) precious opals - for their esthetics, lapidary potential, synthesis (which I've done), and how the play-of-color ("PoC") is produced.)

I recently did another couple of passes on the latter in the process of trying to figure out how the contra-luz flavor of PoC is produced.
(Contra-luz is transmission PoC rather than reflection PoC.)

I was trying to do the research efficiently, which came down to decisions on how much I had to go back to learning ... optics? ... from scratch all the way up to what I need for this effort -vs- trying to understand as much of it as I needed to just by trying to make more & more sense out of material that's intended for people who have such a background.

One of the places I happened into is X-Ray ~optics~.

But it was hard to make the correlations betw/ this range of wavelengths and the visible (for opals).
...even though, put that way, it sounds like it should be trivial.

Problem was that uses of X-Rays tend to be about their transmission - whereas for opal, I was trying to get from reflective to transmissive.

I couldn't see, eg, how the Bragg equation (or its derivations) could (& should) be used for the transmission case.

Maybe I should admit that I avoided reciprocal space.
(& hope to be able to continue to do so for this research, although I could be convinced otherwise, I guess)

Surely there are cases where X-Rays are reflected rather than transmitted by the diffraction, but I never did find out what those cases are.
(so that in itself would serve pretty well as the official question for this thread)

Science news on Phys.org
Google "photonic bandgap material" and "artificial opal". You should find infinite relevant links to choose from.

Thank you, Andy.

Now I'm sorry that I didn't make it clear that that's exactly what I have been doing - for many months.

In fact, I'm pretty confident that I've figured out the answer; what I want is to check it via seeing how actually knowledgeable people in the field of X-Ray optics treat it.
(as opposed to me - not you)

1. What is precious-opal?

Precious-opal is a type of gemstone that is known for its vibrant play of colors caused by the diffraction of light within its internal structure. It is composed of tiny silica spheres arranged in a three-dimensional grid, which causes light to split into different wavelengths and create the characteristic flashes of color.

2. How does X-ray diffraction work?

X-ray diffraction is a technique used to determine the atomic and molecular structure of a material. X-rays are directed at a sample, and as they pass through the atoms and molecules, they are scattered in different directions. The scattered X-rays are then collected and analyzed, revealing information about the arrangement of atoms and molecules in the sample.

3. Can X-ray diffraction be used to identify precious-opal?

Yes, X-ray diffraction can be used to identify precious-opal by analyzing its unique diffraction pattern. The diffraction pattern of precious-opal is distinct from other minerals due to its unique internal structure, making it a useful tool in gemstone identification.

4. What are the benefits of using X-ray diffraction to study precious-opal?

X-ray diffraction allows for a non-destructive and precise analysis of precious-opal's internal structure, providing valuable information for gemologists and researchers. It can also be used to distinguish natural precious-opal from synthetic or imitation versions.

5. Are there any limitations to using X-ray diffraction for studying precious-opal?

One limitation of using X-ray diffraction for studying precious-opal is that it requires specialized equipment and expertise, making it inaccessible for many individuals. Additionally, X-ray diffraction only provides information about the crystal structure of the gemstone and not its physical properties, such as color or hardness.