1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preciptation(Molecular Equation and net ionic equation)

1. Jun 13, 2009 #1
    Write the molecular eqaution and the net ionic equation for each of the following aqueous reactions. If no reaction occurs, write NR after the arrow.

A) Na2Co3 + MgBr2--->
    B)MgSO4 + NaOH---->

I can't figure these two out. From the solubility rules, all the compounds are soluble so there shouldn't be a reation but the answer in the back of the book shows a reaction.

What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Solubility is not 0/1 - substance is either soluble or insoluble. All salts are soluble, just some more and some less. Depending on where do you put the border between those that will be classified as soluble and insoluble rules will be slightly different.

However, there are two weakly soluble products of these reactions - two that I beleve should be listed in most solubility rules tables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook