How can I build a precise voltage regulator for my Nokia N8 car charger?

In summary, the conversation discusses the specific charging requirements for a Nokia N8 cell phone and the challenges of using a car charger to charge the phone. The individual is seeking advice on how to build a charger that meets the precise regulations needed by the phone. They provide a link to a DIY charger and another resource for Nokia charging specifications. The conversation concludes with a discussion about the possible issue with data pins on the USB connector and the complexity of USB charging regulations.
ISX
I have a nokia N8 cell phone and it is very precise about what it will allow to charge it. Mostly it will only accept wall chargers, not car power in any way. There is no way it knows the car charger isn't in the wall so all I can guess is the power is "dirty" and therefore it denies it. My question is how do I build one that is very precisely regulated? I found this http://www.brighthubengineering.com...13-make-yourself-a-d-c-mobile-charger/#imgn_0 but I am not sure that is different than any other car charger or if it is better. Sorry if this is overly simple. Thanks for any help.

I also found this, might be of some help. http://www.herjulf.se/solar/charge-..._Charging_Interface_Specification_v1_2_en.pdf

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If the phone is being charged through a USB port then it may require a conversation with the power source. Some in-car chargers simply loop the transmit and receive USB data back to signal a valid supply. They may also have a high value resistor in the charger on one of the USB pins. They can assess that from inside the phone to see if you have purchased their charger.

The car charger converts the battery to a "precision enough" voltage for charging, so that is not your issue.

Nokia phones will charge with nokia car chargers.

The issue is probably with the data pins on the USB connector. Different phones have different requirements in order to see a charger as a valid source.

It could be as simple as Nokia requires DM/DP to be shorted, and your car charger has something different (is it apple, sony, or samsung?).
Or even, the car charge is not working properly. Does it work on other devices?

I don't know of any special Nokia requirements (based on a quick search).

Here is a good analysis of chargers, and in the later sections it talks about the DP/DM pins and gives references.
http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html

http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX14578AE-MAX14578E.pdf shows how complicated all this can be.

http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?product=UCS1002-2 emulates 9 different USB chargers.

1. What is precision voltage regulation?

Precision voltage regulation is a method used in electrical engineering to maintain a stable and accurate voltage output for a given device or system. It involves the use of specialized components and control circuits to regulate the voltage within a very tight tolerance, typically within 1% of the desired output.

2. Why is precision voltage regulation important?

Precision voltage regulation is important because many electronic devices and systems require a specific and stable voltage input to function properly. Any deviations or fluctuations in voltage can cause malfunctions, damage, or even complete failure of the device. Precision voltage regulation ensures that the voltage remains constant and within the required range, providing reliable and consistent performance.

3. How does precision voltage regulation work?

Precision voltage regulation works by using feedback control loops and specialized components such as voltage regulators, operational amplifiers, and reference voltage sources. The voltage regulator compares the output voltage to a reference voltage and adjusts the voltage output accordingly to maintain the desired level. This process happens continuously, allowing for precise and accurate regulation of the voltage.

4. What are the benefits of precision voltage regulation?

The benefits of precision voltage regulation include improved performance and reliability of electronic devices and systems, as well as increased efficiency and energy savings. It also helps to protect sensitive components from voltage fluctuations, prolonging their lifespan. Additionally, precision voltage regulation allows for better control and accuracy in various applications, such as in scientific experiments or medical equipment.

5. What are some common applications of precision voltage regulation?

Precision voltage regulation is commonly used in a wide range of electronic devices and systems, including computers, smartphones, audio and video equipment, power supplies, industrial machinery, and more. It is also essential in scientific and research applications, such as in laboratory equipment, medical devices, and electronic instrumentation. Precision voltage regulation is crucial in any application where stable and accurate voltage is required for optimal performance.