Predator-prey model of a virus

In summary, the conversation covers various mathematical models that can be used to study the Coronavirus outbreak. The first model discussed is the predator-prey model, which uses differential equations to represent the relationship between the number of humans and Covid-19 viruses. However, it is determined that this model is not suitable for studying viruses due to the assumption of re-infection in recovered individuals. The SIR model is then introduced, which is an asymptotic model that takes into account the recovery and immunity of individuals. It is suggested to use computer simulations to model this type of virus outbreak as it allows for more flexibility and takes into account real-world policies and conditions. The conversation also includes the mention of a site with current data on the outbreak and the challenges of
etotheipi
I was trying to put together a basic mathematical model for the Coronavirus and happened to stumble across the predator prey model; if ##x## is the number of humans and ##y## is the number of Covid-19 viruses, then
$$\frac{dx}{dt} = ax-bxy$$ and $$\frac{dy}{dt} = cxy - dy$$ I took the reciprocal of equation (1) and multiplied this with equation (2), which ultimately lead to the differential equation $$\int (\frac{a}{y} - b) dy = \int (c - \frac{d}{x}) dx$$which gives $$a\ln{y} - by = cx - d\ln{x} + C$$ I now want to try and find ##x## in terms of ##t##; my instinct was to try and eliminate ##y## and substitute this into equation (1), however evidently ##y## exists in the ##\ln## and as a linear term so I can't isolate it. I was wondering if anyone could give me a hint of how to find ##x(t)##? Or is this perhaps one I need to do numerically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lotka-Volterra is the wrong model. You must use a SIR model. The crucial factor is the infection rate: how many people get infected by one person. The curves are all very similar, but the amplitude of maximal infected people basically depends on the infection rate.

Here's a calculator for SIR models:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~hnesse/classes/sir.html

• Informative
Likes FactChecker, hagopbul, berkeman and 3 others
This exercise can be as simple or complicated as you wish. The typical "simple" model is the SIR model described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_modelling_of_infectious_disease

In practice the quality of the data available is the limiting factor. We will know the real answers about 2020 in about 2022.

• Informative
Likes FactChecker and etotheipi
fresh_42 said:
Lotka-Volterra is the wrong model. You must use a SIR model. The crucial factor is the infection rate: how many people get infected by one person. The curves are all very similar, but the amplitude of maximal infected people basically depends on the infection rate.

Here's a calculator for SIR models:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~hnesse/classes/sir.html
DaveE said:
This exercise can be as simple or complicated as you wish. The typical "simple" model is the SIR model described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_modelling_of_infectious_disease

That's interesting, hadn't heard of this model! It appears to be$$\frac{dS}{dt} = -rSI$$$$\frac{dI}{dt} = rSI - \gamma I$$$$\frac{dR}{dt} = \gamma I$$I'll try and solve this on excel with Euler's method... since I don't think I'm going to get very far analytically!

A conservative estimation is 1 infects 3, and a death rate around 3%. The problem with the current outbreak is, that the situation is highly dynamic and not only numbers, but facts, too, change by the day. This means that those figures are not robust. They additionally depend on regions, the demographic situation etc. Containment in the middle of Montana is certainly easier than in the middle of NYC. Furthermore we have an unusual high number of people who aren't tested although they are carriers. And all of this is still a first world problem. I'm afraid things will turn ugly when Africa or India will be involved with high numbers. @DaveE is right when he says: we will know in 2022. I'd like to add: possibly later!

This is what Excel produced for the Euler solutions to the SIR model, and it seems to give a reasonable model. Orange is infected, grey is recovered, blue is susceptible.

1584137450504.png

I might try and make one for the predator prey model as well and see how similar they are!

Likes hutchphd and FactChecker
On second thoughts, I've just found the Euler solutions to the predator-prey model and they don't really look anything like the SIR model, reaffirming that it's probably not a good model at all for viruses.

I did, however, manage to produce some cool looking graphs:

1584139295549.png

1584139330740.png

This is the type of thing where computer simulations (Monte Carlo if you want to inject random behavior) offer a great deal more modeling flexibility than exact equations will. You can have the simulation step through time and employ a variety of real-world policies and conditions that would be virtually impossible to get closed solutions to.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
On second thoughts, I've just found the Euler solutions to the predator-prey model and they don't really look anything like the SIR model, reaffirming that it's probably not a good model at all for viruses.

I did, however, manage to produce some cool looking graphs:

View attachment 258655
View attachment 258656
This looks like the recovered cases are still able to be re-infected. That is currently an open question for the coronavirus, but I think the assumption is that a recovered person gains immunity. I think that would make these results look more like the SIR model.

Likes etotheipi
FactChecker said:
This looks like the recovered cases are still able to be re-infected. That is currently an open question for the coronavirus, but I think the assumption is that a recovered person gains immunity. I think that would make these results look more like the SIR model.

Yeah, I think the Lotka-Volterra model just isn't cut out for this for precisely that reason.

etotheipi said:
Yeah, I think the Lotka-Volterra model just isn't cut out for this for precisely that reason.
Lotka-Volterra yields dynamic equilibriums like the two chasing sine curves you got, or the "cycle" in the example from the challenges: prey population grows, which increases predator populations (many mammals have more children if the food situation is fine), but more predators diminish first prey and then itself, so the prey population can recover and everything starts again.

SIR models are asymptotic models: You don't lose immunity again, at least not very quick, e.g. tetanus, so infected people die or become immune and then they are out of the relevant population, and healthy people stay healthy or get sick and leave again. Healthy people are limited from above, so neither pool can recover, only change status. It is not a cyclic but an asymptotic behavior. This is a fundamental difference, so you cannot model one with the other.

• Informative
The time scales are also different. Most predator/prey models are on a time scale that allows new birth among the prey. An epidemic model for humans would not be on a time scale where births were significant.

Listening to the latest "This Week In Virology" podcast interview with Ralph Baric, a Corona virus expert. He mentioned a few estimates that could illuminate some (more complicated) model parameters:

- Current estimates of SARS-CoV-2 Ro are in the 2.5 - 3.2 range (of course this depends on a lot of local things; it's higher on a cruise ship than in rural North Dakota).

- Assuming that there isn't an animal reservoir (like Bats, Camels, etc.), he estimates that a herd immunity of 70% of the population would probably result in extinction of the virus.

- Recent studies of MERS-CoV (a different infectious Corona virus) immunity via serum titers show that immunity may only last 1 - 2 years, and in rare cases just a few months. Other, more common, Corona viruses impart lasting immunity. This is early data and needs much more study. How this relates to SARS-CoV-2 is completely unknown.

- The panel (all virus experts) said that if we had a safe and effective vaccine in 18 months, that would be faster than any other similar effort.

"This Week In Virology" is the go to place for academic information about this virus (i.e. in depth, not sensationalized). They have been talking about it since the middle of January.

Likes fresh_42 and FactChecker
There is another big risk: evolution! Someone told me that we have already two human strains, but I haven't tried to confirm this. I personally think it is not true. Nevertheless, with high numbers of human infections, the chance raises, that we will have to deal with successful mutations.

Please excuse my ignorance (!), I’m still fairly new to differential equations: out of curiosity, can one get anywhere analytically with either of the two models? Though Runge-Kutta and Euler methods appear to work fine for numerical solutions...

If so, how would you go about it?

Wikipedia has some notes on the solutions of Lotka-Volterra. There is no one formula catches all solution for any IVP. We have constant equilibriums and a first integral which results in the image I quoted from the challenges. If we had a solution in closed form, we would use those equations instead of the differential ones. But deterministic numerical algorithms aren't such a big deal today.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
fresh_42 said:
we have already two human strains
The problem here is defining what a strain is. My guess is that this depends on having enough genetic change to change the way the virus behaves in the infected individuals. This is tough to do since there is a ton of other variations in response not related to the virus's RNA, like the patients immune function or co-morbidities. Plus we only have a sparse data set so far.

This is all because viruses, especially RNA viruses, are constantly having minor mutations in their genome; mostly insignificant. So media reports of genetic change are hard to evaluate. They do, however, allow some really interesting possibilities in tracking the virus's history, essentially the same way 23 & me can tell you where your ancestors came from.

"Estimates of the timing of the most recent common ancestor (tMRCA) of SARS-CoV-2 using currently available genome sequence data point to virus emergence in late November to early December 2019."

This is from this recent paper that talks about SARS-CoV-2 genetic analysis:
http://virological.org/t/the-proximal-origin-of-sars-cov-2/398

Likes fresh_42

1. What is the predator-prey model of a virus?

The predator-prey model of a virus is a mathematical model that describes the interaction between a virus (the predator) and its host cells (the prey). It is based on the Lotka-Volterra equations and helps to understand how a virus population changes over time in response to changes in the host cell population.

2. How does the predator-prey model of a virus work?

The model works by considering the growth and decline rates of both the virus and host cell populations. The virus population grows as it infects more host cells, while the host cell population declines as it becomes infected and ultimately dies. The model also takes into account factors such as the rate of transmission and recovery of the virus, as well as the carrying capacity of the host cell population.

3. What are the assumptions of the predator-prey model of a virus?

The model makes several assumptions, including that the virus and host cell populations are the only two interacting species in the system, that the host cells are homogeneous and equally susceptible to infection, and that the virus has a constant rate of transmission and recovery. It also assumes that the environment remains constant and that there is no evolution or adaptation of the virus or host cells.

4. What are the practical applications of the predator-prey model of a virus?

The model can be used to predict and understand the dynamics of viral infections, such as the spread of diseases like influenza or HIV. It can also help with the development and evaluation of strategies for controlling or treating viral infections, such as vaccines or antiviral drugs. Additionally, the model can be applied to other predator-prey systems, such as the interaction between predators and their prey in ecosystems.

5. What are the limitations of the predator-prey model of a virus?

One limitation of the model is that it simplifies the complex interactions between a virus and its host cells, and may not accurately reflect the real-world dynamics of a viral infection. It also does not take into account factors such as the immune response of the host or the potential for the virus to mutate and evolve. Additionally, the model may not be applicable to all types of viruses, as different viruses may have unique characteristics and behaviors that cannot be captured by a single model.