Predicting the distance where torque should be applied?

In summary, the mass of the meterstick is .05kg and it needs to be .015m from the pivot to balance it.
JazzyJones

Homework Statement

Finding the mass of the meterstick!
Distance was found through experimentation
I am given a mass hanger of 50g to place on a 100cm ruler held up on its center of mass at 49.8cm
I displace the clip holding the ruler by 15cm to the left. (assuming the ruler counts up from left to right) The experimental value in practice was 13.1cm for a balanced ruler. (How am I to calculate the assumed value?) With this information how am I to calculate the mass of the meterstick?

If not sufficient information is given or hard to imagine I could draw a picture and upload it.

Homework Equations

Mass of ruler: 95.1 g
τ = rfsinθ
Ʃ F = 0
Ʃ τ= 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to plug in, I also think I am missing an equation. Trying to visualize the problem, I see how moving the clip to the left that I am increasing the torque in the problem, and to balance the meterstick, I must place the 50g mass at a certain distance to achieve equal amount of torque on both sides of the meterstick thus achieving equilibrium and a balanced meterstick. Am I missing something for finding the mass?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JazzyJones ! :smile:

i] what is the torque of the 50 g mass?

ii] what is the distance of the centre of mass (from the pivot)?

iii] so what must the meterstick's mass be? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi JazzyJones ! :smile:

τ= mass*a*(distance from pivot)
τ= .05kg*9.8m/s^2*.0217m
τ= 0.010633
15cm or .015m
iii] so what must the meterstick's mass be? :wink:
I'm taking a guess at this but what if I do this,
.05kg*9.8m/s^2*.0217m = m*9.8m/s^2*.015
right? because the net torque will equal 0

Hi JazzyJones! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
JazzyJones said:
τ= mass*a*(distance from pivot)
τ= .05kg*9.8m/s^2*.0217m
τ= 0.010633
15cm or .015m

I'm taking a guess at this but what if I do this,
.05kg*9.8m/s^2*.0217m = m*9.8m/s^2*.015
right? because the net torque will equal 0

Where does the 21.7 cm come from? :confused:

Apart from that, it looks right :smile:

the LHS is the torque of the 50g mass, and the RHS is the torque of the unknown m,

so now you just divide out to get m.

btw, you should leave g as "g" (instead of 9.8), since it'll cancel out anyway,

and you should leave everything in gram and cm (instead of converting to kg and m), since that'll cancel out also! :wink:

To calculate the mass of the meterstick, you can use the equation τ = rfsinθ, where τ is the torque, r is the distance from the pivot point (in this case, the center of mass of the meterstick) to where the force is applied, f is the force applied, and θ is the angle between the force and the lever arm (r). In this case, you know the values of τ (0), r (49.8 cm), and f (50 g). Therefore, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the unknown mass of the meterstick:

m = τ / (rfsinθ)

Substituting in the known values, you get:

m = 0 / (49.8 cm * 50 g * sin(90°))

Since sin(90°) = 1, the equation simplifies to:

m = 0 / (49.8 cm * 50 g * 1)

m = 0 g

This means that the mass of the meterstick is negligible and can be ignored in this experiment. However, if you want to calculate the mass of the meterstick including the mass of the 50g hanger, you can simply add 50g to the calculated mass. Therefore, the total mass of the meterstick would be 50g.

It is important to note that this calculation assumes that the meterstick is uniform and the mass is distributed evenly along its length. If the meterstick is not uniform, or if the mass is not evenly distributed, the calculation may be different.

1. What is torque and how does it affect distance?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. It is calculated as the product of the applied force and the distance from the force's point of application to the axis of rotation. The greater the distance, the greater the torque.

2. How do you determine the distance at which torque should be applied?

The distance at which torque should be applied can be determined by considering the direction and magnitude of the applied force, as well as the axis of rotation and the desired outcome. It is important to ensure that the applied force is perpendicular to the axis of rotation for maximum effect.

3. Can torque be applied at any distance?

No, torque should only be applied within a specific range of distances in order to achieve the desired result. If the distance is too small, the torque may not be strong enough to rotate the object. If the distance is too large, the force may be dissipated and not have the intended effect.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the distance at which torque should be applied?

The shape of an object can have a significant impact on the distance at which torque should be applied. Objects with irregular shapes may require different distances and angles for optimal torque compared to objects with symmetrical shapes. This is due to the varying distribution of weight and force within the object.

5. Are there any tools or formulas that can help in predicting the distance for torque application?

Yes, there are several tools and formulas that can aid in predicting the distance for torque application. These include the use of torque wrenches, calculation of torque using the formula T = F x d, and the use of diagrams and illustrations to visualize the application of torque at different distances.