Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Predicting when a liquid flow will break into droplets

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    I would like to know how to predict when a flow of liquid---dichloromethane, actually---freely flowing downward through a small hole (varying from around .05 to .001 cm) will exit as droplets instead of flowing in a steady stream. I have been bouncing around the Internet for a good while now and everything I find is either too specialized or grade-school level. I'm not interested in the flow of polymer solutions, just a plain old low-viscosity Newtonian fluid.

I've learned how to predict flow rate using Poiseuille's Law and drop size using Tate's Law. Now I need to know how to predict if the flow will be a steady stream or drops. Drops is what I want, actually.

I need something simple, not something complicated.

My own chemistry/mathematical/physical background:Simple quantum mechanics. Mathematics through simple differential equations. Vector calculus. E&M theory, i.e. applications and analysis of Maxwell's Equations. Thermodynamics and statistical thermodynamics.

So I can handle a certain amount of math.

Anybody here have any links? TIA.

Jeff Corkern
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Consider the following as a statement of logic and rank it as "True" or "False."

"If people possess immortal souls, it should be possible to deduce this by logical analysis of their behavior."

www.theninepointfivetheses.blogspot.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Sep 24, 2007 #3
    Thanks.

They want $20 for the article online but I happen to live very close to a large university and have access to their chemistry library.

Will check out the other references.

You can find stuff that's very easy, or you can find stuff that's very complicated, but it's hard to find stuff in the middle.

Jeff Corkern
    Consider the following as a statement of logic and rank it as "True" or "False."

"If people possess immortal souls, it should be possible to deduce this by logical analysis of their behavior."

www.theninepointfivetheses.blogspot.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?