Preparing for College Chemistry Interview: Tips & Topics

In summary, the person is seeking advice on what to discuss in their upcoming interview for a university. They are passionate about chemistry and nuclear physics and plan on discussing their interest in synthesizing organic molecules and studying the particles that make up the world. They are concerned about their skills in speaking and want to be well-prepared for the interview. The advice given is to be themselves, tell the truth, and let the interviewer guide the conversation.
Mr_Bojingles
The people from the college I'm applying to me tell me that seeing as I already have a fair amount of knowledge of chemistry and I'm highly interested in it that I should be accepted into the college after my interview alone regardless of the fact I never completed high school. They say that if the interviewing sees how much knowledge and passion I have for the subject that I'll be automatically accepted.

I do have a bit of knowledge on the subject but I don't know what I'm going to say to them in the interview. I don't talk about chemistry to anyone because I don't know anyone else that's into it and when I try to talk about it nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about.

I figure some of the people here will be the best people to ask seeing as some of you are probably in university and have done interviews.

What I'm planning on saying is the truth. I'm going to tell them I'm interested in synthesizing organic molecules for different areas of industry such as the pharmaceutical, food and polymer industry. I'm going to tell them I have a passion for nuclear physics and chemistry because it is the study of the particles that make up the world.

I'm going to put a lot of thought into this but I'm not that good at interviews. I'll need to be well prepared before I go in and have a lot of stuff to say beforehand. I do have a passion for chemistry and nuclear physics but I have a hard time speaking my mind especially with limited time in an interview so I have to plan this in advance. I'll know how to answer the questions the interviewer asks but if they ask really general questions I won't know where to start.

Can any of you suggest some topics to discuss with the interviewer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I interview for a major university. You've surely heard of it.

First, I think you have misunderstood what the "people from the college [you're] applying to" said. Colleges never promise admission. They either offer it, or they don't.

The second most important thing in an interview is to be yourself. Don't try to second-guess what you think the interviewer wants to hear. The most important thing is to tell the truth.

You should let the interviewer control the pace and topics of the interview. That doesn't mean you should be completely passive, but you shouldn't be worrying about picking a topic to discuss. Let the interviewer do that.

I understand your passion for chemistry and your desire to pursue it in college. However, I must advise you that while knowledge and interest in a subject are important, they should not be the sole determining factors for college admissions. Admissions committees also look at other factors such as academic performance, extracurricular activities, and personal qualities.

That being said, it is still important to showcase your knowledge and passion for chemistry during the interview. I suggest doing some research on the college's chemistry program and discussing specific aspects that interest you, such as a particular research project or course. You can also discuss any relevant experiences or projects you have worked on, even if they were not in a formal academic setting.

In addition, it would be beneficial to discuss your long-term goals and how a degree in chemistry would help you achieve them. This could include your interests in synthesizing organic molecules for different industries or your passion for nuclear physics and how it ties into chemistry.

It is also important to have a good understanding of basic chemistry concepts and be able to explain them in simple terms. This will show the interviewer that you have a strong foundation in the subject and are able to communicate it effectively.

Lastly, I recommend practicing with a friend or family member before the interview. This will help you feel more confident and prepared when it comes to discussing your interests and experiences in chemistry.

Overall, my advice is to be genuine and passionate about your interest in chemistry during the interview. Be prepared, but also be open to discussing other topics and answering general questions. Good luck!

Related to Preparing for College Chemistry Interview: Tips & Topics

1. What topics should I review before the college chemistry interview?

Before your college chemistry interview, it is important to review the basics of chemistry, such as atomic structure, chemical equations, and periodic trends. You should also review more complex topics such as stoichiometry, acids and bases, and thermodynamics.

2. How should I prepare for the chemistry interview?

To prepare for a college chemistry interview, you should review your notes and textbooks, practice solving problems, and attend review sessions or tutoring if available. It is also helpful to research the specific topics and format of the interview.

3. What types of questions can I expect in a college chemistry interview?

In a college chemistry interview, you can expect questions that test your understanding of core concepts, as well as your ability to apply your knowledge to solve problems. You may also be asked about your laboratory experience and your interest in chemistry as a subject.

4. How can I demonstrate my knowledge and skills during the interview?

To demonstrate your knowledge and skills during a chemistry interview, be prepared to explain your thought process and show your problem-solving skills. You can also bring a portfolio of your laboratory work or research projects to showcase your experience and interest in the subject.

5. Are there any tips for success during the college chemistry interview?

To succeed in a college chemistry interview, it is important to stay calm and confident, ask clarifying questions if needed, and show your enthusiasm for the subject. Also, make sure to arrive on time and dress professionally to make a good first impression.