Preparing for Exams: Curve-balls & Unseen Problems

• Thread starter babysnatcher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams
In summary, the best way to prepare for exams with curve-balls and unfamiliar problems is to truly master the material by working through as many exercise problems as possible and seeking multiple explanations of the concepts. It is also helpful to spend more time on challenging examples and do more than the recommended work. Saving time for checking answers and building problem-solving skills can also be beneficial. Following the advice given by your professor and others can lead to a better understanding of the material and help with exam preparation.
babysnatcher
How do you prepare for exams that have curve-balls and/or problems that are not from the lecture or on the homework?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to handle problems like that are to truly master the material. Those questions are on the test to see if you've mastered the material, not to just trip you up or get points off.

zapz said:
The best way to handle problems like that are to truly master the material. Those questions are on the test to see if you've mastered the material, not to just trip you up or get points off.

"how do you prepare..." (:

Work through as many exercise problems as you can, and try to get exposure to the material from several perspectives. Sometimes a concept will be explained in one book in a more technical way, and the same concept will be explained in another book in a more conceptual/theoretical way. Having both explanations helps to really understand the material.

I find reading each section thoroughly helps. Also going over each example in every section helps! I spend less time on ones that I think are straight forward and more time on challenging examples. Also, if I feel the explanation in one book is weak then I usually look in another book or look on the web for tutorials. For my personal learning style, I feel that I actually do the learning through the reading and trying to uncover the techniques in the examples. Also, do more than the recommended work! Do more of the problems you struggle with or problems that look pretty hard (or all of them!). Also, If you spend a lot of your time studying each section thoroughly then studying for the exam should be more of a review. Normally I will pick a couple easy problems from easy sections being covered and spend most of my time practicing how to tackle hard problems. Most of the time the easy problems will somehow be imbedded in the large grotesque problems. For my personal style, and this is the tricky part, I try to get to the point where I take an exam I feel like it is all material that I can do without much thought. As funny as it sounds I try to limit problem solving as much as possible and save it only for those really hard problems. I kind of think of my problem solving skills as a limited turbo boost in an arcade game. Unlike an arcade game, I feel that applying my problem solving skills to every test question would take way too long and I would most likely run out of time. Also, I try to save myself at least 5 minutes to check my answers. Lastly, I think that trying to beat the clock is half the battle sometimes and I personally think that 2-4 hr. tests with snacks are much easier than 50 min. tests.

Last edited:
babysnatcher said:
"how do you prepare..." (:

Zapz gave you good advice. Don't be unappreciative about it.

Previously you wrote:

babysnatcher said:
I just read once, attempt the examples, and I solve the basic problems. My CE professor said he read every chapter 3 times. Is there anyway to understand what is going on better?

You got good advice in that thread, you got good advice from your professor, and you got good advice from zapz. If you were to follow this advice, it's likely your problem will go away. Up to you.

Last edited:

What are some common curve-balls and unseen problems that may arise during exams?

Some common curve-balls and unseen problems that students may encounter during exams include unexpected material or topics, difficult or confusing questions, technical difficulties, and time constraints.

How can I prepare for curve-balls and unseen problems during exams?

One way to prepare for curve-balls and unseen problems during exams is to study and review a wide range of material, rather than just focusing on specific topics. This can help you be more adaptable and able to handle unexpected questions. Additionally, practicing past exams or sample questions can help you become more comfortable with tackling unfamiliar problems.

What should I do if I encounter a curve-ball or unseen problem during an exam?

If you encounter a curve-ball or unseen problem during an exam, try to stay calm and focused. Read the question carefully and break it down into smaller parts if needed. If you are truly stumped, move on to another question and come back to it later. Remember to manage your time wisely and prioritize the questions you feel most confident about.

How can I improve my critical thinking skills to handle curve-balls and unseen problems?

Improving your critical thinking skills can help you better handle curve-balls and unseen problems during exams. Some ways to improve these skills include practicing problem-solving and logic puzzles, participating in class discussions and debates, and challenging yourself to think outside the box. Additionally, seeking feedback and incorporating it into your study habits can also help you become a more critical thinker.

What are some strategies for managing time during exams with curve-balls and unseen problems?

One strategy for managing time during exams with curve-balls and unseen problems is to allocate a certain amount of time for each question or section, and stick to it. This can help prevent you from getting stuck on one problem and running out of time for the rest of the exam. Additionally, make sure to pace yourself and take breaks if needed to prevent burnout. Lastly, practicing time management during your study sessions can also help you become more efficient during exams.