Preparing for industry while studying astrophysics?

In summary, if you are a graduate student and want to pursue a career in research, it is not impossible. However, it is very unlikely. You can take other courses or read books to increase your knowledge and prepare for a career in research. However, it is important to remember that the market can be unpredictable, and you may not be able to find work as an astrophysicist in the future.
Opus_723
So, I am very sure I want to study astrophysics. Ideally, I would become a researcher, but I know that this is extremely unlikely. However, I also know that I would always regret it if I didn't try. But, understanding how unlikely this is, I want to be prepared. Is there any way to study other subjects (electrical engineering, computer science, or another branch of physics would all be interesting) concurrently in a way that would be attractive to industry employers?

I am OKAY with starting my career at an entry level job if I decide to leave astrophysics. I'm not viewing the phd as an investment, but rather an experience and opportunity. Money shouldn't be an issue so long as I'm making at least an entry level salary when I start my career. I just want to know if it's possible to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Opus_723 said:
So, I am very sure I want to study astrophysics. Ideally, I would become a researcher, but I know that this is extremely unlikely.

It's not unlikely. If you are a graduate student, you are a researcher. They won't let you get a Ph.D. until you've done original research.

Is there any way to study other subjects (electrical engineering, computer science, or another branch of physics would all be interesting) concurrently in a way that would be attractive to industry employers?

Take other courses, or buy books on amazon. Read stuff.

Also it's a hard question, because employers don't know what they want. I *couldn't* have prepared for my current job because my current job didn't exist when I got my Ph.D. So it was a matter of just getting good at math and computers, and then I found something interesting.

The problem is that I can tell you want employers want in 2011. I can't tell you what the desirable skills will be in 2020 or even 2013. Also employers are really fickle. What will get you hired in 2010 will get you fired in 2012.

One other thing is that employers want sheep that work for nothing, and who they can through away if it gets too inconvenient for them. Sometimes you don't want to make yourself attractive to an employer.

I am OKAY with starting my career at an entry level job if I decide to leave astrophysics.

For me, it's not a matter of leaving astrophysics, but rather taking a detour. I don't think I can leave astrophysics, and I certainly don't want to.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about the research. I meant that ideally, I'd like to settle down in a career in research, as opposed to getting stuck hopping from postdoc to postdoc around the country like I've read about on this forum.

Thanks for the advice. I guess it should have been obvious that the market could be quite different in the future. I've just been getting nervous reading about how impossible it is to get work as an astrophysicist, and I was wondering what I should do to mitigate any damage there. Even so, I can't convince myself not to go for it. I just want to be as prepared as possible.

Related to Preparing for industry while studying astrophysics?

1. How can I gain relevant industry experience while studying astrophysics?

One way to gain relevant industry experience while studying astrophysics is to participate in internships or research opportunities with companies or organizations in the field. You can also look for part-time jobs or volunteer positions that allow you to apply your astrophysics knowledge and skills.

2. What skills should I focus on developing to prepare for a career in the astrophysics industry?

In addition to technical skills related to astrophysics, it is important to develop skills in data analysis, computer programming, and communication. These skills are highly valued in the industry and will be useful in many different roles.

3. Are there any specific courses I should take to prepare for a career in the astrophysics industry?

While studying astrophysics, it is beneficial to take courses in related fields such as computer science, data analysis, and engineering. These courses will provide you with a well-rounded skill set that is applicable to various careers in the astrophysics industry.

4. What networking opportunities are available for students studying astrophysics?

There are many networking opportunities available for students studying astrophysics, such as attending conferences, joining professional organizations, and connecting with alumni or industry professionals through social media or career fairs. These opportunities can help you make valuable connections and learn more about potential career paths.

5. How can I effectively balance my studies and preparation for a career in the astrophysics industry?

Managing your time effectively is key to balancing your studies and career preparation. Make sure to prioritize your coursework, but also set aside time to gain relevant experience, network, and develop skills. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from professors or career advisors to create a plan that works for you.