Preparing for math intense condensed program?

In summary, the author plans to take calculus 1 and 2, and if possible, one each of engineering chemistry and physics courses prior to starting a technology program at Camosun in September. The author expects to work for two years between diploma and degree programs and recommends taking calculus 3, MV calc, and partial diff equations, linear algebra 1 and 2, and if possible, one each of engineering chemistry and physics courses. The author is uncertain if taking advanced placement courses will be necessary, but plans to ask the college during the technology program.
Sn0man
I'm just doing a bunch of planning ahead right now as I won't even be starting an engineering program until next September. Due to some financial constraints, i'll be taking an engineering technology program first, then working for a couple of years, then going to university for the final two years to complete a degree (likely mechE).

To transition between technology diploma and degree, I will need to take an engineering bridge program. I have done quite a bit of research into it, and most people agree that it will be hell (very math intensive, and the equivalent of 1.5 years of university courses condensed into 6 months of study). I contacted the college who offers the bridge program to inquire whether they offered any of the bridge courses via distance or online learning, which they do not. Since I would prefer to go there as prepared as I possibly can be, what would any of you recommend doing before actually starting this program. See here: http://camosun.ca/learn/programs/engineer-bridge/mechanical-engineering.html

I plan to take calculus 1 and 2 between now and September before even starting the technology program, and as stated above I expect to be working for two years between diploma and degree programs. What courses could/should I take during that time to make the transition as smooth as possible? I'm thinking taking calculus 3, MV calc and partial diff equations, linear algebra 1 and 2, and if I can find them via online education, at least one each of engineering chemistry and physics courses. I don't know that I would get advanced placement having already taken them, but at least I would be starting with a solid understanding of a majority of the concepts.

I think that would make the bridge program go much smoother (I do want to keep a high GPA). Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Sn0man,

I will also be starting a technology program (Electrical) at Camosun next Sept, with the hopes that I will bridge to university afterwards. From what I understand, 2 of the bridge courses (maybe more) can be taken prior to the bridge, so long as they are taken within 1 year of being accepted into a bridge program. That should make things a tad bit easier. Also, supposedly the support system for the bridge students is stellar.

You probably won't need to take linear algebra 1 and 2 as Camosun now offers an intro to linear algebra course which is pretty much the matrix algebra for engineers course taken during the bridge. It also sounds like Math 250A (intermediate calc, mostly integrals) is what students fail at the most, so if you go in with Calc 1 and 2, you should be set for that course. Doing anything more than that and you've pretty much covered all the bridge math courses which makes me think that they won't make you do them again... That's a question I plan on asking during my technology program.

Hope that helps and maybe see you there!
Jim

Last edited:
Jimbo57 said:
Hey Sn0man,

I will also be starting a technology program (Electrical) at Camosun next Sept, with the hopes that I will bridge to university afterwards. From what I understand, 2 of the bridge courses (maybe more) can be taken prior to the bridge, so long as they are taken within 1 year of being accepted into a bridge program. That should make things a tad bit easier. Also, supposedly the support system for the bridge students is stellar.

You probably won't need to take linear algebra 1 and 2 as Camosun now offers an intro to linear algebra course which is pretty much the matrix algebra for engineers course taken during the bridge. It also sounds like Math 250A (intermediate calc, mostly integrals) is what students fail at the most, so if you go in with Calc 1 and 2, you should be set for that course. Doing anything more than that and you've pretty much covered all the bridge math courses which makes me think that they won't make you do them again... That's a question I plan on asking during my technology program.

Hope that helps and maybe see you there!
Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim.

Good to hear I'm on the right track then. Preferrably i'd like to have done all the math before I get to Camosun, so I can focus on the rest of the coursework while I'm there. Lord knows there's already enough crammed into the bridge program without all that math to do.

Catch you there!

1. How can I best prepare for a math intense condensed program?

To prepare for a math intense condensed program, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. You can also practice with online resources, review textbooks, and seek help from tutors or teachers.

2. What study strategies can help me succeed in a math intense condensed program?

Some effective study strategies for a math intense condensed program include practicing regularly, breaking up study sessions into smaller chunks, seeking help when needed, and using visual aids or mnemonic devices to remember concepts.

3. Are there specific math skills or topics that I should focus on before starting a condensed program?

It is important to have a strong understanding of basic math concepts such as fractions, decimals, and algebraic equations before starting a condensed program. Additionally, reviewing topics such as geometry, trigonometry, and statistics can also be beneficial.

4. How can I manage my time effectively during a math intense condensed program?

To manage your time effectively during a math intense condensed program, create a study schedule and stick to it. Set aside dedicated study time each day, prioritize your tasks, and take breaks when needed. It may also be helpful to seek assistance or clarification on difficult topics early on to avoid falling behind.

5. What resources are available to help me with a math intense condensed program?

There are many resources available to help with a math intense condensed program, such as textbooks, online practice problems, tutoring services, and study groups. Additionally, your program may have resources such as study materials or office hours with instructors that you can utilize for extra support.