Preparing for Physics Praxis 5265 Exam: Tips & Advice

In summary: I would recommend reviewing it before the test. It is a helpful resource.In summary, the test is a straightforward collection of introductory level physics content knowledge. If you purchase a study guide from the ETS website, it can help you answer questions correctly. Michael van Biezen has excellent videos on YouTube that can help you remember the concepts. Lastly, memorizing formulas is a good idea.
JFS321
I am taking the physics praxis (5265) in about a month so I can add to my bio/chem certifications. I'd actually prefer to teach physics even though I went to graduate school for environmental science.

It has been fairly difficult to get good info on the test -- I've taken the practice exam and studied all of my general physics textbooks thoroughly. Anyone have any thoughts/advice for this exam? Did you see any surprise content that wasn't expected?

Thanks.

I took the test seven years ago. To my recollection it was a straightforward collection of introductory level physics content knowledge. I purchased a book which specifically reviewed the physics topics one would be expected to know for the test. I felt that it didn't miss anything that was on the test.

School district offices and official testing services should be able to provide booklets and practice tests for the Praxis subjects tests.

All, just took the test this morning. It wasn't easy and I would consider it thorough in terms of going through a first-year general physics book. Thankfully I passed with flying colors. If anyone ever comes across this thread and would like some insight I'll be happy to help.

JFS321 said:
All, just took the test this morning. It wasn't easy and I would consider it thorough in terms of going through a first-year general physics book. Thankfully I passed with flying colors. If anyone ever comes across this thread and would like some insight I'll be happy to help.
What did you do to prepare for the Physics Praxis test?

Glad to see that you passed this test, congrats! Any insight would be appreciated, I'm scheduled to take it next week. I've been using a textbook along with online sites and I'm working through the study companion, but feel a bit overwhelmed - particularly with how much depth I need to work on while preparing for each topic. Also - just pulling together the vast amount of information. In the next day or so I'm planning to tackle the practice test, did that prove to be a worthwhile study tool?

I also used a general college-level textbook. Start at the beginning and work through the majority of the book -- especially chapters the Praxis is heavy on (all aspects of mechanics, thermo, fluids, electricity/magnetism, QM, and others escaping my mind right now). I did as many practice problems as possible in all of these areas. Although you won't find much mathematical work on the Praxis, working through examples with numbers greatly helped me remember the conceptual aspects. Now that I've taken it I can really say that it is a conceptual exam.

Secondly, I used this website and spent a lot of time working through the "Practice Questions" and "Practice Problems" found here.

http://wps.prenhall.com/esm_giancoli_physicsppa_6/

I supplemented any confusion I had with lots of YouTube videos and examples. Michael van Biezen has excellent videos there.

Don't forget to click "Help" during the test to access the table of information. It helped me correctly answer several questions.

Last thought -- you likely will not need the majority of them, but memorize as many formulas as possible. Really.

Forgot to add, I did purchase the ETS practice test and made sure that I understood every question and why I missed it the first round. I probably would have been fine without the purchase but it did help give me an idea of the questions.

Likes symbolipoint
JFS321,
Thanks for answering.

Thank you very much, JFS321. I am a big fan of Michael van Biezen's videos and I look forward to working on the other problems at the site you provided. I just rescheduled for August to allow for more time to organize the content material and to (hopefully) approach with confidence. Regarding your original post - I also found that it is very difficult to find information about this test, so thanks again - very much appreciated!

The table of information will list a variety of physical constants; no formulas. There were at least two questions that I wouldn't not have gotten correct without using the table.

1. What is the format of the Physics Praxis 5265 Exam?

The Physics Praxis 5265 Exam is a computer-based test that consists of 125 multiple-choice questions. The test is divided into four content categories: Mechanics; Electricity and Magnetism; Waves and Optics; and Heat and Thermodynamics.

2. How should I study for the Physics Praxis 5265 Exam?

The best way to study for the exam is to review all of the content covered in the four content categories. This can be done by reviewing your notes from physics courses, textbooks, and online resources. It is also helpful to take practice exams to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions asked.

3. What are some tips for taking the Physics Praxis 5265 Exam?

Some tips for taking the exam include managing your time effectively, reading each question carefully, and utilizing the on-screen calculator provided. It is also important to eliminate obviously incorrect answer choices and to make educated guesses when necessary.

4. Are there any specific topics I should focus on when studying for the exam?

While all four content categories are important, some topics that are commonly covered on the exam include kinematics, Newton's laws, electrical circuits, and thermodynamics. It is important to have a solid understanding of these topics and be able to apply them to different scenarios.

5. How can I stay calm and focused during the exam?

To stay calm and focused during the exam, it is important to get a good night's sleep before the test and to arrive early at the testing center. Take deep breaths and try to stay relaxed during the exam. If you encounter a difficult question, move on to the next one and come back to it later. Remember to pace yourself and don't spend too much time on one question.