1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prerequisites needed to grasp analytical mechanics.

1. Oct 4, 2015 #1
    1.What are the mathematical prerequisites needed to grasp analytical mechanics conceptually and technically?

2.To understand the very concept of analytical mechanics, do I need to train my self in Euclidean and Riemannian manifolds, and do I need to have good knowledge in topology and differential geometry?

Hope I would get good answers, and thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2015 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think it depends a lot on your goals and your current level of understanding. For a first encounter with analytical mechanics, I believe you can learn a lot without differential geometry, but with a good understanding of calculus (including vector calculus) and linear algebra. In fact, I would recommend that you focus on the physics first and, after you have familiarised yourself with this and are interested, proceed to learn more about formulations using modern differential geometry and topology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook