Prerequisites needed to grasp virtual displacement

In summary, the concept of virtual displacement and virtual work was initially discovered by Galileo and later recognized by J. Bernoulli as a universal principle for systems in static equilibrium. This principle states that the work done in a system during a small displacement is zero, and is represented mathematically as ΣFi⋅δxi = 0. It does not require a background in differential geometry or topology to understand, and is essential in understanding Lagrangian mechanics.
amjad-sh
In most of classical mechanics textbooks,the concept of virtual displacement and virtual work is not represented deeply.They just focus in how the method should be used without explaining from where this principle came and why scientists created it in the first place.

So to grasp this concept do I need to have a solid background in differential geometry and topology?

I'm saying this because I read in Wikipedia that:" virtual displacement arises from differentiating with respect to the parameter ε enumerating paths of the motion varied in a manner consistent with the constraints (thus pointing at a fixed time in the direction tangent to the constraining manifold)".

The manifold is a topological concept and it is related also to differential geometry.

In fact I'm trying to grasp Lagrangian mechanics,and I think that virtual displacement and work are like a cornerstone to enter deeply in the subject.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is coming from an experimental physicist who has had little contact with mechanics for some time.

amjad-sh said:
They just focus in how the method should be used without explaining from where this principle came and why scientists created it in the first place.

It wasn't created in so much as it was discovered. Virtual displacement is a conceptual idea. It is a displacement in which the time is held constant. since a real displacement would involve a small evolution in time. Galileo was the first to note that in a condition of static equilibrium if a small displacement of objects subject to constraints was made the work done in the system was zero. This was later recognized by J Bernoulli to be of universal applicability for all systems is static equilibrium. Thus ΣFi⋅δxi = 0 Where δxi are the virtual displacements for the respective forces. the principle of virtual displacement is valid in that it gives the same result as a conventional method of resolution of forces does.

amjad-sh said:
So to grasp this concept do I need to have a solid background in differential geometry and topology?

No..

As far as Lagrangian mechanics is concerned the use of virtual displacement maintains it initial meaning, a change in a coordinate without a concomitant change in time. Beyond that I see nothing to extend its applicability. Some texts do not use the term virtual displacement in their development of the Lagrangian as it would be redundant.

Thanks gleem for your explanation, but I have some questions.
gleem said:
Galileo was the first to note that in a condition of static equilibrium if a small displacement of objects subject to constraints was made the work done in the system was zero.
How Galileo discovered this, and what are the experiments made that revealed this fact?

gleem said:
This was later recognized by J Bernoulli to be of universal applicability for all systems is static equilibrium. Thus ΣFi⋅δxi = 0 Where δxi are the virtual displacements for the respective forces.
Did j Bernoulli conclude this mathematically?and what domain of math he used to recognize it? since virtual displacement is "virtual" and can't be formulated using experiments as we can't observe virtual things.

I don't know the details but presumably he recognized the principle by just considering an object on an inclined plane held in place by another object connected to it and hanging off the edge of the plane. Bernoulli recognized the universality of this idea no derivation just that it works. Think of a virtual displacement as a thought experiment.

Likes amjad-sh

1. What is virtual displacement?

Virtual displacement refers to an infinitesimal change or movement in the position of a physical system that occurs without any actual forces or energy being applied to the system. It is a theoretical concept used in mechanics and physics to understand the behavior of a system under small changes.

2. Why is understanding virtual displacement important?

Virtual displacement is a fundamental concept in fields such as mechanics, physics, and engineering. It helps us understand the behavior of physical systems, such as structures or machines, under small changes and perturbations. It also plays a crucial role in the development of theories and equations that describe the motion of these systems.

3. What are the prerequisites needed to grasp virtual displacement?

To grasp virtual displacement, you should have a strong understanding of calculus, particularly the concept of limits and infinitesimals. You should also be familiar with concepts such as forces, energy, and motion. Knowledge of vector calculus and differential equations can also be helpful in understanding virtual displacement.

4. How is virtual displacement different from actual displacement?

Actual displacement refers to a physical movement or change in position of a system that occurs due to the application of forces or energy. On the other hand, virtual displacement is a conceptual change that occurs without any actual forces or energy being applied to the system. It is used to analyze the behavior of a system under small changes and does not result in any physical movement.

5. Can virtual displacement be observed or measured?

No, virtual displacement cannot be observed or measured directly. It is a theoretical concept used to analyze the behavior of a system under small changes. However, its effects can be observed and measured through the response of the system to these small changes.